SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a search and couldnt find anything. what does "check ck" mean on my dash? i had the car running for a little while, ran just fine. then it started knocking and died. couldnt get it to restart. it cranks over strong, good battery, dash said it was time for maintence and now it flashes "check ck". (some of the pixels are missing)

thanks guys
ncg

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
ncg said:
i did a search and couldn't find anything. what does "check ck" mean on my dash? i had the car running for a little while, ran just fine. then it started knocking and died. couldn't get it to restart. it cranks over strong, good battery, dash said it was time for maintenance and now it flashes "check ck". (some of the pixels are missing)

thanks guys
ncg
Knocking ? This is serious.
But nothing displayed on the SID relates to the running quality of the engine, as I see it.
Check OK refers to some lites and two fluid sensors..
One is "check fan belt".....I kid you not.....p 20 owner's manual.
I wonder - where is that sensor ... a rhetorical q..

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110777 this relates to your OBD I system...
Have you tried the starting fluid test yet ??

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
That sounds like the basic check signal is saying 'CHECK OK' with a strip off the O in the OK missing.

The checks done are basic and you can get an OK message with a con-rod through the block.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the car only knocked once when it died. i just tried starting the car again, and it'll fire, but not start. i noticed that the central warning light above the speedo is on. which according to the owners manual it can only be one of the following:

*ABS system
*SRS system
*Handbrake (at speeds above 3 mph)
*Footbrakes
*or Engine and electrical systems (high coolant temp, low oil pressure or low battery voltage)

my guess is engine/electrical since the car isnt starting. though it couldnt be high coolant temp since its not running or low battery since i just put a fresh battery in it only minutes before. guess that only leaves low oil pressure.

all the others checked out fine and seemed to work as they should. ran out of day light to check any further.

lets hope its something simple.
the only other thing i've done to the car was disconnect the annoying interior fan by the cigarette lighter, and i would hope that wouldnt cause the car not to start :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ragtopcav, that would make sense about the missing pixels.
just wish it'd explain the not starting troubles. hmmm...

the car will fire once in awhile, but doesnt start.
could i have a bad DI Cassette?
if a cassette is shot, will it still allow the car to fire?

how do i test my cassette to see if its still good?

thanks
ncg

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
The car won't start if the DIC is gone.
that gives you your spark (think distributor X200000) :lol:
also the SID says nothing about it.
they just go w/little or no warning.

Did you check under the car for loose fluids?
Cables all connected?

Guys, in theory....could it be a wire from the DIC?
perhaps a wire got loose and he lost his knock-control.
then the rest went and not it is just dead....

To far streched???? :confused: ;oops:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
TROLLhattenschatten said:
The car won't start if the DIC is gone.
that gives you your spark (think distributor X200000) :lol:
also the SID says nothing about it.
they just go w/little or no warning.

Did you check under the car for loose fluids?
Cables all connected?

Guys, in theory....could it be a wire from the DIC?
perhaps a wire got loose and he lost his knock-control.
then the rest went and not it is just dead....

To far stretched???? :confused: ;oops:
Never, Troll:p
These things can and do happen..

This gentleman must go thru the diagnostic routine

Service.............consult the cars history and maintenance

Isolation........... bring the possibilities down to one....
use starter fluid....if she starts and runs for a few seconds, then the DIC is OK and the fuel system is suspect....both if these(electric and fuel) include the CPS......test accordingly.

Success ...........at the least cost

·
Registered
345 Posts
Some of you might remember the trouble I had with the engine cutting out and after replacing LOADS of parts it was the wires from the DI that were stretched about an inch from the connector so these were replaced and it's A1 again. I'll have to take a picture of the wires that were repaired by the auto electrician.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
The CPS can be tested using an osciloscope.

The fuel pump can be tested using a voltmeter.

Could be (not likely) a clogged fuel line/filter.

Sorry for stating obvious things.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Like was stated earlier, it probably said "Check OK." This message comes on right after I step on the brakes after starting the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know its getting gas, so my guess is the DIC is shot.
i'll be replacing it soon if i can find a decent used one until i can afford new.

we are having -50 degree temps w/ the windchill, so i'm not able to work outside on it until the weekend when it warms up to +15 degrees. gotta love MN :lol: :lol: !!

am i able to use a black DIC in my car? just curious.
i see that there alot cheaper than the red DIC's.
whats the difference between the two?

-ncg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have any of you guys purchased one from e-bay? if so, who did you buy from? i just dont wanna get screwed on a bad sale.

also, how do i read the manufacturer's label on the DIC? (year month of manufacture)

thanks
ncg

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
ncg said:
i did a search and couldnt find anything. what does "check ck" mean on my dash? i had the car running for a little while, ran just fine. then it started knocking and died. couldnt get it to restart. it cranks over strong, good battery, dash said it was time for maintence and now it flashes "check ck". (some of the pixels are missing)

thanks guys
ncg
Test the compression in all cylinders before you buy a DIC!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
What are you thinking Hkayssi?
it never hurts to have a spare DIC anyway....i have 3.

When you say it started knocking, what do you mean?
running rough or a true engine knock (as in rod-knock)?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
What I mean is the knocking he heard maybe a broking timig chain or something of that nature. To start a car you ned 3 things, air, gas, spark and compression.

If the engine has no compression no need for a DIC ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts