SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY Car: SAAB 95 1998 2.0T

Hi everyone

I pulled onto my friends drive way one afternoon went in for 30 mins then came out and my car would not start ! it is as if there is no fuel but there is, i can hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the ignition on, it has started for about 3/4 seconds one or twice but just dies. Im quite lucky i have a complete engine and all spares from a saab 95 2.3T so i have been able to swap some parts over such as the knock sensor and the DI cart which have not made a difference to the problem, i also recall the SID display displaying anti theft device needs service a couple of weeks ago so maybe it might be the immobiliser im unsure. i decided to call the AA rescue bloke out and he could not even diagnose the fault and his OBD computer couldn't even open communications with the cars computer to get any error codes, he also put no spark, cps changed and fuses checked.

Could anyone help me please if you have had this fault before or if you know what protocol my car uses for its obd interface as i would like to buy a lead and no one seems to be able to help me find which one my car is compatible with !

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
No UK 9-5's are OBD compliant before late 01, early 02 facelift models. You will need a Tech 2 to read fault codes unfortunately. Is the starter motor turning when you turn the ignition key? If not, get underneath and check the earth cable on the starter, it can get loose and cause a no-start.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot for your reply, yes the starter motor does try and start it fine.
So would you know what protocol my car uses then (CAN BUS EOBD OBD OBDII) any of these ? can i plug my computer into my car at all i have been learning all about car diagnostics and all the software regarding this and now you tell me i am unable to use my vehicle to do any of this lol please please don't say i have wasted all these months learning getting all the top software and a Panasonic tough book touch screen laptop :(

Back to gettin the thing working full stop the starter motor trys to start the engine fine but start

Thanks
Nikki

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
i have been able to swap some parts over such as the knock sensor and the DI cart
What is the "knock sensor" you have swapped? :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant Crankshaft Position Sensor ! i have seen several posts regarding a non start fault because of a faulty cps. But that didn't have any effect :cry: i also tried another DI cassette which made no difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can i also point out im selling my saab gm900 at the mo so that is sitting outside my house saying goodbye :cry:, my lovely 2.0T SAAB 95 (The one in question) is sitting opposite my house dead at the mo and to TOP it all off my beeeaach has just gone out and bought herself the car i wanted A SAAB 2006 93 AERO !!! Can you beleive it !!! Please help guys im a saabless muffin at the mo !

·
Registered
6 Posts
(01' 9-5) I can't start either, engine turns over but no start. I/m also getting the "service security alarm" message on the computer, and my key fob's batteries are dead. The car did start before when the key was dead - so I don't think that's the problem. FireAero (on this forum) is telling me to check a security module batteries - need to look it up on here.
I am really suspecting the fuel pump though - not sure what kind of sound you are getting from the pump but I can't really discern anything when I put my ear behind the rear seat. Plus a few days before it died I ran out of fuel, so I thought I could have toasted it.

I'm planning to replace the batter in the FOB, look up this security module and try to check for spark.

Let's keep each other updated, maybe its the same issue :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well when you turn the ignition on you should hear the pump prime and then stop, but when it is pumping fuel they are not very noisy anyway, are you able to use your car at all? have you checked fuses and all connections? cleaned all contacts in keyfob, what is the alarm LED status ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The engine turns over but doesn't start. Turns over nice and strong, just feels like something electrical or no fuel. The key fob (most likely battery) has been dead for a while - but the car started fine after that. All fuses are in order. I don't see a fuse or relay for the fuel pump. Alarm LED at the top of the dashboard blinks just fine...The pump doesn't make any sound in ACC position or when trying to start.

I'm getting a buddy to come over and we'll check the spark plugs - a little scared of the shower of sparks thing though.. Maybe its the DI cassette.

Also did a bunch of searching on the web and after comparing conflicting advices I'm leaning towards thinking that CPS cannot be causing the pump motor to start, so I'm not going down that path.

How's the fight with yours coming along?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well put a voltage through the pump separately and see if it starts otherwise it could be your immobiliser killing the pump but don't hold me to that. Mine is still blah I'm just trying to find out the easiest and cheapest way of communicating with my cars computer. And desperate to find out exactly what protocol or lead i need ? There must be a cheap alternative to the over expensive tech2!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engine turns over but doesn't start. Turns over nice and strong, just feels like something electrical or no fuel. The key fob (most likely battery) has been dead for a while - but the car started fine after that. All fuses are in order. I don't see a fuse or relay for the fuel pump. Alarm LED at the top of the dashboard blinks just fine...The pump doesn't make any sound in ACC position or when trying to start.

I'm getting a buddy to come over and we'll check the spark plugs - a little scared of the shower of sparks thing though.. Maybe its the DI cassette.

Also did a bunch of searching on the web and after comparing conflicting advices I'm leaning towards thinking that CPS cannot be causing the pump motor to start, so I'm not going down that path.

Hi Mate did you get your car sorted in the end???????? Mine is still the same wont start just had alot of bad stuff happen since i posted this stread and not had chance to fix her....

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY Car: SAAB 95 1998 2.0T

Hi everyone

I pulled onto my friends drive way one afternoon went in for 30 mins then came out and my car would not start ! it is as if there is no fuel but there is, i can hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the ignition on, it has started for about 3/4 seconds one or twice but just dies. Im quite lucky i have a complete engine and all spares from a saab 95 2.3T so i have been able to swap some parts over such as the knock sensor and the DI cart which have not made a difference to the problem, i also recall the SID display displaying anti theft device needs service a couple of weeks ago so maybe it might be the immobiliser im unsure. i decided to call the AA rescue bloke out and he could not even diagnose the fault and his OBD computer couldn't even open communications with the cars computer to get any error codes, he also put no spark, cps changed and fuses checked.

Could anyone help me please if you have had this fault before or if you know what protocol my car uses for its obd interface as i would like to buy a lead and no one seems to be able to help me find which one my car is compatible with !
Hi
Did you manage to find the solution to your problem? I currently have the same problem, had message " THEFT PROTECTION SYSTEM FAILED" the car has now been in the garage for two weeks with costs mounting, this week replaced the battery pack to the imobiliser without success. The engine just turns over without firing, hire car at the moment!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi
Did you manage to find the solution to your problem? I currently have the same problem, had message " THEFT PROTECTION SYSTEM FAILED" the car has now been in the garage for two weeks with costs mounting, this week replaced the battery pack to the imobiliser without success. The engine just turns over without firing, hire car at the moment!!
No joy as yet doing a complete rebuild at the moment on a 95 Aero estate, the 95 in question is still sat here and i have only one thing to say and thats get a Tech 2 ODB computer on it and that should give you access to the Dice system and the Twice bus systems which will or should tell you exactly the problem with either the engine or the alarm system.
Hope this helps

Ahhh what year is yours by the way

Keep me updated if you have any joy would you.

Thanks
Nikki

·
Registered
23 Posts

The same has happened to mine for quite sometime now. Firstly it was a kinking of the fuel line. Then came the all-mighty CPS. But the most annoying was the reluctance after my head swap. This went on for weeks before I retraced my steps & realised it was those earth wires attached to the intake manifold on the right side looking from front facing the car. These wires are 2 & black situated around thermostat housing area on 10mm bolt heads. Check them for loose connection. Lets kow how it goes....

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Did anyone check fuel pressure at the check point on the fuel rail? Just because you can hear the pump doesn't guarantee it's making pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will do. The year is 2005 and my mechanic did mention something about Tech 2 and that he didnt have it! so the car would have go to Saab!! Am I looking at a big bill??

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Don't need Tech 2 to check fuel pressure - there is a fitting on the fuel rail and any mechanic would (should) have a pressure gauge that can be used to check.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a similar problem; cranking, but would not fire up, or would just barely fire up then just crank. A fuel pressure gage would have found my problem right away. The fuel supply line going to the pump had dislodged inside the tank. Once reconnected, this time with a small hose clamp the problem was solved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts