SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen the stories: saved in an accident by a Saab's robust construction. I had one of those myself last June. Last night I was saved by my OG 9-3's oft-maligned handling!
I was on the highway late at night, doing 65-70. Came over a small rise and there in front of me was a large deer, dead center (no pun), leisurely strolling across my lane. It was probably 75 feet away when my headlights picked it up. A very fast full roll of the wheel took me almost fully into the left lane and a roll back straightened out the car with no complaints. The lane change and correction happened in what seemed like less than a second. Fortunately it was late at night and there was no one around me for a mile.

This is a 5D low miles stock car with only a rear bar upgrade. Say what you want about this funky suspension design... it did the job when needed. If I'd hit that deer we would have both have had a very, very bad evening.

·
Super Moderator
9,054 Posts
Your tyres played the most important part..imo

glad you're safe,and all came out unscathed..;ol;

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
I hit a deer back in 1999. It didn't do the car much good, but it was fixable with junkyard parts (1987 Plymouth Reliant wagon). The deer didn't do so well, and the police interpreted the call as the deer was dead, so they took their time in showing up to actually shoot it dead. :cry:

That incident leaves me very cautious at night, especially when I pass warning signs about deer. Yes, the accident happened in a high-deer-incident area. Pickup trucks behind me wonder why I'm doing the speed limit. Yes, I can certainly keep the car on the road and between the lines at much higher speeds....but I won't see animals in time.

I've also come very close to hitting moose. The last and possibly closest call was with my NG900. No interest in finding out how a real-life moose test will turn out. :nono;

Making sure your car headlights are in best possible shape is one preventative. Unfortunately the NG900/OG9-3 headlights have reflectors that cloud up over the years, and the high beam on the DOT lenses is poor. However, even the best headlights won't show you what might be around the bend or over the rise. That's when you have to be alert, and driving at reasonable speeds for the conditions.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Nah. You are driving too slow. If you drive fast enough, moose (or deer) can not hit, because they are to late for that.;ol;
They will be extremely pissed.;oops:

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, moose is bad... with the taller legs, they tend to come in through the windshield when hit. This was a tall deer from what I could see and results would have been similar.

The deer population has boomed around here in the last decade. It's wonderful to see families of three frolicking out and about all the time. Unfortunately the downside is more incidents with cars. It's rendered the "deer crossing" signs useless - deer are all over the place now. I count myself lucky for having fast enough reaction time and being in a car that could handle the emergency maneuver at highway speed without difficulty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts