SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel a little confused and out of options here so it will be great if someone can help with the issue! To start heres a little back ground I bought a new to me halfway running 2005 9-3 little turbo. Ive owned a lot of 9-3ss and never have dealt with this. When I got it the car ran like garbage. She misfired, ran very rough at idle, and had half boost but any amount made the car shake terribly, was still able to limp home. Got the car into my shop and checked for codes. The car stored P0201,P0202,P0203,P0204,P0245. Doing some research and through past experience with other vehicles having similar issues I came to the conclusion the ecu was fried. I sent off the ecu to be repaired. While the ecu was being repaired I replaced the plugs checked the resistance of all the injectors, and replaced the battery. ECU comes in plug everything up check for codes no codes present. Car fired right up ran rough. Checked myself over and decided to check the coils. Coil 2 was replaced with an import direct part. Car runs perfectly no misfire code drove the car about 30 miles and it was running and driving like any other Saab I had. Came out of the store 20 mins later turned the key and it just cranked. Waited 15-20 mins it just cranked again, then I held the gas pedal down while cranking and it fired right up and the check engine light was instantly on with P0201-0204 and so was the P0245. The car was running fine nothing would indicate an issue other the the CEL and that its running on half boost. I dont want to throw more parts at it so I really need some input. Trying to save this little Saabs life!

To recap:

-Codes P0201-P0204 and P0245

-Codes before repair are present 30 miles after repair after not starting until holding gas pedal down while cranking

-Ecu repair was completed by Your part source saying the injectors and turbo control chips

- checked injector resistance 1234 in order 12.7, 12.5, 12.7, 12.7 to my understanding this is within spec

-Replaced cyl2 coil with import direct part claiming it was specific to the Saab and didnt not cross reference with any other vehicle

-New battery

-New plugs

-New valve cover gasket

-replaced main relay #4 and fuse #4

-Car currently drives smooth but is under powered and the boat gauge goes to halfway at most

My only thought I have left is when the ecu failed it took all the injectors and the boost solenoid with it I feel it would be running a lot worse if that was the case though. Not sure what to do and do want to order a set of injectors or a wastegate solenoid without some sort of confirmation.

The car has a few other faults that I’m not sure would affect this but I will add it in here. The SID is stuck on outside temperature and you cannot change it. If you hit customize you can scroll perfectly through all the menus but just cant go through the different trip functions. The radio also doesn’t show anything on the SID and has no audio for the turn signals I’m blaming the amp1 haven’t looked to far into it yet. What’s odd about the radio situation is when you start the car it does something rather strange on the SID (see attached picture)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Never seen anyone able to rebuild these. Sounds like it was not successful. Get another ECU.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best way to get a different ecu if I don’t have someone with a tech2 close? Would the BCB ecu recovery service be my best bet? Also if the ecu repair wasn’t successful why doesn’t the car run like crap anymore? Just replacing one coil wouldn’t take a car from barely being about to idle being just slightly under powered.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Probably had bad plugs and or coil as well as bad ECU first. Yes, one bad cylinder will make it run like crap.

P0201,P0202,P0203,P0204,P0245

These are common bad ECU codes, and the fact they weren't there on install but popped up after car got up to temp and car goes into limp is very common as well. See it very often. Seen several people try and get these rebuilt (along with ABS modules) and it doesn't work.

Really, if you want to be able to keep your car running you need to buy a tech2 or get a canflasher and software from trionictuning and flash it yourself.

There is no one left to work on these when there are electrical issues like ECUs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So if I follow his instructions and have a like ecu I only would need to use the tronic 8 portion of his flashing process? Also any input on the issue with the SID? So none of the cloning services will work?

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
The cloners probably do the same thing. Yes, you just need cable and software.

No idea on the SID. Probably has to do with the ECU.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The ECU is handy to clone so thats worth a try, if you change the ECU please reply if it fixes the SID or not, thats an interesting one!

The cloners probably do the same thing. Yes, you just need cable and software.

No idea on the SID. Probably has to do with the ECU.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I’d post to update. My ecu came in and my cable have TrionicCANFlash installed but nothing is fixed. When I try and read my ecu it just says security access failed. so I can’t get the info off my ecu to flash onto the ecu I got to replace the dead one. Using OBDLink sx cable. also does the donor ecu have to be unmarried from the previous car or will the canflasher just over right everything? I doubt a salvage yard unmarried an ecu.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts