SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings:

While I was driving this morning, I observed a lot of smoke to be coming from under my hood. Upon pulling over for further observation, it appear as though the plumes of smoke was coming from the back of the engine within the drive belt region. The smoke smelled as though something electrical and or oily/burning rubber like was burning! My first thought was my rear oil seal:( !, But fortunely that wasn't the case.I made a few more attempts to just run the car, at which time the belt flopped upwards. I then removed it, and continued to run the motor. The smoke and burning stench cleared up almost immediately. I checked for any leakage, all of which none was found. I checked my a/c compressor pulley via hand rotation, and it rotated flawlessly, however there is a pulley that is connected to the back of the engine block, that extends and lines up with the a/c pulley/belt. This particular pulley has completely siezed up! My other belts are all intact and functioning well. The car even rides more smoother than on previous occasion! I would like to retrofit my A/C system to R134a by the summer or 08, what kind of costs can I expect to pay for such a luxury? What say you?

1991 900 turbo 16 valve 2.0 A.T. 174,000 plus original miles:)

Best Regards!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supremedalek said:
Is the pulley by itself? If so, it could be an idler pulley. If so, you could probably press in a new bearing and be over with it.
yes, it appears to be by itself, it connected to the engine block extending outwards inline with the a/c compressor.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I do not know how much the pulley assembly cost but if you have access to a bearing shop (sometimes even a parts store may have it) and can disassemble the pulley so you can read the bearing part number, you are in business.

If you want, I can go take a look at the one in the 92 N/A in the local yard. Maybe even yank and send it your way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just put that in the hatch about a week ago. Took up too much space under the hood :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I was just looking at one this morning. Is this something that could wait for until spring 2008? Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
91900turbo said:
Thanks guys! I was just looking at one this morning. Is this something that could wait for until spring 2008? Thanks again!:)
Make sure that if you replace the whole pulley assembly (including the mounting plate, etc. that attaches it to the engine), you get the correct one. There are a few different variations depending on the build year of the car as Saab used different A/C systems throughout the years of production and the 16v engines have idler pulleys that are different to the ones used on the 8V engines (something to do with how many belts run off the crankshaft pulley I think as 84 or 85+ c900's use double-belt alternators).

Craig.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread, I saw one of those brackets in the 92 900S I have been yanking parts from. Let me check today if the bearing is good (I just can't remember). I did notice they riveted it into the bracket though. Well, I mean the cover around it is riveted together. :cheesy: Depending on the price for a new bracket thingie, I think I would modify it so it can be taken apart and have just the bearing replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts