SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car with the oil level where it was supposed to be.
I noticed after a few months that the oil level had significantly dropped.
I went ahead and did my first oil change 6-7000miles later.
I was checking it weekly to see if I was losing/burning any. Nope.
So I stopped checking it regularly.

Its coming up to the time where I should be doing another oil change, roughly around 6 to 7000miles. (10,000kms) I had to add 2 liters as it was showing really low on the dipstick.

Same scenario as the first time I needed to change it.
Does it burn off when it gets old or something? I've never had this problem with another car. And I know, these are touchy and very particular cars.

Thanks for your help/replies.

·
Registered
980 Posts
All internal combustion engines will burn some oil. Some very little and some a bit more; it's just the nature of the design. First off, you'll get the best reading on the dipstick if the car is parked on level ground and the engine has been off for a while. If you check the level a few minutes after turning the engine off, the level will be bit lower than if wait a half hour or more as it takes a while for all the oil to flow back to the pan. I usually check my oil after the car has sat overnight, but you don't have to wait that long. Next, oil level should be checked more frequently than at several thousand mile intervals. Personally, I check mine every other weekend, which for me is approx. 700 miles. If I'm down by half a quart, I add half a quart then to top it off. I change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals; sometimes I need a half a quart in between and other times not. The type of driving that you do will affect oil consumption; you'll burn more if your car is subject to short trips in cold weather or if you "drive it like you stole it" a lot of the time. And lastly, these recommendations apply to virtually all cars; there's really nothing special about Saabs in this respect.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found out about checking the oil after having it sit for a few hours upon making my purchase, thanks though! good point, important for the most accurate measure!
Thanks for a detailed reply. Puts my mind at ease.
Especially if a few more drivers come back with a similar explanation.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
290 Posts
it dosnt seem too undue usage
my saab dosnt do many miles now so hard to say with mine
last car ford mondeo (dont know what they call it overseas)
used about 1litre (2 pints) over 5000miles yet still does fly thru the emissions test with extremely low readings of oil in emissions (less than 5% of limits)

as with all advise fluid levels of everything should be checked routinely approx every 1000miles at least along with tyre pressures and lights etc

·
Registered
79 Posts
re-bumping this as i panicked a bit today , so changed my oil 2300 KM , switched to MOTUL dexos 2 clean 8100 as that is the best there is ... or at least my research pointed this out

when i changed the oil, the old one was dripped and a flush was done with a cheap oil and a flush specific cleaner to the engine and afterwards the new motul was added

After the fresh refill i checked the dipstick and it was a tad over the max...and now after 2200 KM i got i space from the top burned out...

Car is daily driver and the last 600 km were driven fast (150-180km/h constant)

Now my question is...IS THIS NORMAL ? engine has 211.000 KM (checked and real)

...should i prepare my self for something bad ? should i go with a metabond ceramic treatment ?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
It looks like Metabond will help at metal-to-metal contact, but it doesn't address rubber seals, like the two crank seals and turbo seals. My guess is that one or more of your rubber seals are wearing out... Ron

·
Registered
79 Posts
That would suggest to check for exterior and obvious oil leaks right ? found none until now will have a full check in a month or two

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks JMR

This was one of the first issues i workaround when bought the car, as i knew about such types of failures.

No new updates yet, did not check the oil level for about two weeks now...

Will post an update once i figure it out...if

1 - 10 of 10 Posts