SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wanting one for 3 years i finally found a 1990 SPG with 140 Miles on it and it was originally from europe owned by someone in the Navy and was shipped over here ...I got it for 300 dollars after seeing it for sale for over 2 months he wanted $500 and it needed alot of work ! i would have liked to find one with less rust but they are rare enough as it is in Nova Scotia. The Oil Cooler was smashed and it needed brakes all around plus some bodywork and a bit of floor work as well. I finally got it MVI'd a couple weeks ago, I did the tune up with Bougicords, ngk plugs and bosch rotor and cap.. at times she gives me idling problems .. since i cleaned out the AIC valve and cleaned off the gunk on the Water temp sensor its been better ... plus i found a important vacuum line disconnected ... now it idles nicely !
One thing that is really concerning me is the front motor mount ! the shifting at times can be gruling I am in fear of destroying my Tranny ! ... I got a used side motor mount in good condition that I'll get changed once my brand new solid front mount arrives. ( ebay Item 140149241745)
I also have orderd 30 ft of 3.5mm and 6 ft of 6mm silicone vacuum line.
I have a bentley in the mail .. finally got one on ebay with a computer code reader book too.

My ABS light is on and ABS doesnt work ... any tips on that ?
plus the power streeting is noisy and i havent checked the fluid:roll:

Its got all season tires and winter is fast approaching and it can get messy out here ... I dont wanna skimp out and wreck my baby ! so winter tires are on the list would you guys reccomend the 185/60/15 skinnys ?

I also want to replace the coolant, tranny fluid ... I am really stuck on what to use for GEAR OIL! i'm thinking just regular motor oil ? i dont wanna mess it up ... and i dont know what was previously used in there .....

I am thinking fuel filter and air filter next ... also one of my air box latches are broken so it doesnt clamp down and seal tight .. could this give me problems ?

Any mild performance enchancing tweaks or tips once i get it running tight ?

This car lives up to the expectations i've dreamed about thus far .. I can't wait till i get that engine mount in and get it all running awesome

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
wow, good story:D

Welcome to SC

nice looking car for sure, troubles sound not too bad.

for $300 you are laughing:lol:

900s are fantastic in the snow, even with crappy all seasons.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What's that wet stuff all over everything?? North Georgia has been a lot like the Sahara of late!

Good luck with squaring it away. Be gentle with the boost until you have your front mount in good order. The Saab manual sez use 10W30 motor oil in the gear box (no hypoid gears in there) or 75W90 gear oil. Some on the list swear by Honda Manual Tranny Fluid or Red Line for their gear boxes. There is not even agreement on whether or not the stuff needs to be changed! (I change mine anyway).

No help with the ABS. See if you can get someone to pull a code as to what the problem may be.

Power steering fluid is good to have in the reservior. You may find that your steering rack is leaking.

See if you can find a latch out of a wrecking yard. Unfiltered air is not recommended. Otherwise figure out how to clamp down the side that isn't, or substitute a cone type filter unit.

I'd just run good all weather 195's. You'll prolly be very pleased with how it gets around.

Good luck on your find! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts