Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody on SAAB Central!

I am new here to this site, and very glad that I found it. :D

I have recently moved to AUSTRALIA, Canberra and just purchased a Saab 900 Model : 1989 SAAB 900i IA2 16, White, 2 door Sedan, 3 Speed automatic, 2 Litre and 165 thousand kilometers. I have payd for it 990 Dollars. Is that a good price?

I am planning on doing some modifications, Changing radio and speakers, fixing it and just making in better. It is an old car so what would you reccomend I do first? What would look nice! I hope I can join your Saab Team!

Thanks,
Matt - Saab 900 lover

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Welcome MATT ,,, You will be very welcome to the team ... ONCE you pass the standard iniation ,,

PICTURES !! :D
Re price If it looks anywhere near how it reads ... you got a steal . The most important thing re price ,, are you estatic with the car ? If you are , you paid a good price ,

Re what to do , Get it running spot on to original sort of standards 1st , Do the ignition components , plugs , rotor, leads , cap , Do oil changes engine and auto , Check all the belts , Change the coolant , Check all the brakes , Change the brake fluid and blled the brakes if need be , Basically get the servicing fully up to spec, ( unless u know it already is ) . Once its right to original specs .. many here that will steer u down the path to better performance ,

Re looking nice , again , the basics , thoroughly clean and polish , Consider some nicer wheels , either Aeros ( e bay ) or some after market mags from a store.. etc . Tinted windows adds a bit ( my opinion ) to the look .. Just detail the car , and Enjoy

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Hey,

Thanks for replying so quickly.
I see that you are in australia, where are you?

Im realy sorry but i did not understand at all the first paragraph starting::
- Re price If it looks anywhere near how it reads ... you got a steal ..

I payd 990 dollars and I bought it from a good car dealer that sells saabs here in Canberra so i dont know...

I welcome any good points, So if you can, can you please say your message a bit easier for me to understand?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I am sorry , let me translate that from my pitiful aussie slang into cleaner English .

What I am trying to express , is that if you , as the buyer has purchased a car that makes you feel good *happy*, Then you have made a good purchase . Price can become a little irrelevant .

When i say , **if it looks as good as it reads ** I am meaning to say that your description gives an impression that it is indeed a very good buy , they are very low Kilometres on the car . These cars vary greatly in price depending on the condition , The 16 v that you have is usually a little more expensive than an 8 v , So if the car is clean , and un damaged , it runs well and gearbox feels ok , then you very possibly have a very good buy . Did the dealer provide you with a Road worthy certificate ? or was that left for you to obtain ?

Hope that makes more sense ,
I am in Melbourne , But you will speak with a fellow canberrian from here soon enough :D The love of these cars is universal .

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help, I understand it clearly now. It would be nice if you could give me some contacts on people with saabs here in canberra.

I am still doing the paperwork, going there tomorrow. Then I will update you with some pictures. coool.

I would like to put some nice wheels, Rims on it.. what size would be good?
Also i like neon lights under the car.. :) could be good no?
Maybe change the exhaust? :lol:

I have no idea but want to play arround with it as it is my baby!!!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
NEON LIGHTS ? NO ,,

Have a look at the name of this forum , Classic Saab 900 , in my opinion the words neon and classic dont go together , the words rice and neon have a karma together , My opinion only ,

My apologies to one guy here ( shadowworks ) who has done fantastic work with led and a small amount of neon , but thats more interior lighting .

Re wheels , there are so many aftermarket options , MINILITES look good , the geuine saab aero or super aeros look good , Have a look in the projects section , in particular Iron Joes car , there are many alternatives .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Matt

Welcome, I am a relatively new member myself (2nd time around) and can not recommend this board too highly, lots of great information and willing helpful people.

I am also in Canberra.

NEED PICTURES. :D

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again!!

Hi Lee and everybody.

Do you remember me lee? I was the want that wanted to buy your saab with my mom. :) but then you sold it. Anyway, I just got a 900i and its alright.
So maybe we could meet up somewhere when you have time? :)

I will put the pictures here Tomorrow arround 6 pm!!!

Today I am going to get a nice radio with good speakers and a SUB with a amp. how does that sound?

Have fun!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Matt, yes I knew it was you, glad you found your way to this site which I told you about.

Your car sounds great, I know this is a first car for you, great choice, look after it and it will look after you, looking forward to the pictures.

Will be great to get together soon, say hello to your mum for me.

Lee

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Radio change

Hi, by any chance, do you know how to replace a car radio in the 900? I want to put a CD radio in, and speakers.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are new in australia .Where do you come from. One of my niece( last year I learn her to drive car in my saab 900i16) spent her last vacations ( july and august ) in Sydney and now she has a dream :live in Melbourne.
May be a new saabgirl in Australia soon.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey

Hey!

Yes, I am new here in australia.
I moved to canberra from europe.. :) Czech Republic.
So where is your niece now?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HaHaHa

Funny,
I was just outside and its warm.

You dont get snow!! So thats good!

We need to get as many people from canberra together!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suppose there are many saab in czech republic . A little time ago I read a post on this forum from a man with a saab convertible. And this summer (here in europe) I read a post in a french saab forum from a czech girl driving a saab. She was studing in the south of France.
My niece is now in France , she is only sixteen. you know there are some australian pupils who comes to France during there summer vacations, they go to school as at that time it is winter here.
so they improve their french very much.
My niece went to australia to improve her english . She went to australian school because it was winter in australia in july and august.
She find australian people really very friendly and now her dream is to go back in australia and to go studing medecine in Melbourne when she is heighteen rather Than to study at the university in Paris.
I like this forum very much because saab lovers are from all parts of the earth.

Some from malaysia , south africa , new zeland , australia and of course usa and UK.
For me it also a way to improve a little bit my englsh which is very very light.
Bye

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mmustillo said:
Hello everybody on SAAB Central!

I am new here to this site, and very glad that I found it. :D

I have recently moved to AUSTRALIA, Canberra and just purchased a Saab 900 Model : 1989 SAAB 900i IA2 16, White, 2 door Sedan, 3 Speed automatic, 2 Litre and 165 thousand kilometers. I have payd for it 990 Dollars. Is that a good price?

I am planning on doing some modifications, Changing radio and speakers, fixing it and just making in better. It is an old car so what would you reccomend I do first? What would look nice! I hope I can join your Saab Team!

Thanks,
Matt - Saab 900 lover

Hi to Everybody again,
So Here are the pictures! They are a bit worse quality, I just took them a while ago with my Phone. But anyway have a look!

So what do you think?? Tell me! is it worth 990 AUS Bucks?? :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
:D Your car is really very clean .
990 australian dollars; less than 600 euros ! If this car is on good running order it's a gift!
How does it cost one hour's labor in an australian garage?
Do you know if the gearbox is the original one?
A+

1 - 20 of 612 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.