SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a new Saab, car works with à number of Tech issues: engine noise valve, A/C , soft top system, waterproof soft top , belt, broken beat bracket support , allow wheel 16 '' not sure if it s original, a number of none identified Tech issues to be discover for work shop.
So a lot of work ro rebuild this Saab to original standard . N

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
I bought a new Saab, car works with à number of Tech issues: engine noise valve, A/C , soft top system, waterproof soft top , belt, broken belt bracket support , allow wheel 16 '' not sure if it s original, a number of none identified Tech issues to be discover for work shop. View attachment 269393 So a lot of work ro rebuild this Saab to original standard . N

·
Registered
884 Posts
Great project. Love my verts! One bit of advice - if you can find another vert parts car, pick it up. Especially if you have a problem with the top. If you need to replace 1 or 2 hydraulic hoses or a ram cylinder the savings will pay for the parts car. Hopefully between the two cars you can also swap any broken or ugly trim, accessories, carpet, etc. Too bad you're in Paris, I've got spare viking wheels on my soon to be parted out NG900 vert.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, work in progress analyse engine issue first, fix timing chain order, but huge noise coming from head gasket, need to open to see pistons and valve. I lot of time to finding missing parts. Not sure on this model if B205R SE 210 HP HOT if exist like my Saab 9.5 aeo '' Engine Mount Bracket - Upper RH'' on picture part N# 21

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Your 9-3 should not have that item #21 engine mount bracket. The engines in the 9-3 and 9-5 are VERY similar, but the mounting is not the same. The #21 bracket is specific to the 9-5, unless there is some market difference I am unaware of.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Are you able to get a copy of the EPC?

This should prove invaluable for looking up parts.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
There are three mounts on the 9-3 - one on the right side of the engine near the crank pulley, one on the right side of the transmission (both of these hang from the frame rail) and one mount on the back of the transmission that's secured to the subframe.

Although the engine itself is identical, everything else is quite different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, work in progress analyse engine issue first, fix timing chain order, but huge noise coming from head gasket, need to open to see pistons and valve. I lot of time to finding missing parts. Not sure on this model if B205R SE 210 HP HOT if exist like my Saab 9.5 aeo '' Engine Mount Bracket - Upper RH'' on picture part N# 21 View attachment 269550
There are three mounts on the 9-3 - one on the right side of the engine near the crank pulley, one on the right side of the transmission (both of these hang from the frame rail) and one mount on the back of the transmission that's secured to the subframe.

Although the engine itself is identical, everything else is quite different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, thanks for your reply, you re right no engine bracket mount on the top side. I start the engine, headgasket noise, valve issue. I need To open the engine. I can only mouve the car to 1 meter in D drive, 1234 don t work, R works. Any idea , fluid, soleoide, other ?Automatic transmission Aisin seiki réf: 5160197 5040LE/FA40803. Do I need To buy à need one ? Thanks for your advice. N

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, thanks for your reply, you re right no engine bracket mount on the top side. I start the engine, headgasket noise, valve issue. I need To open the engine. I can only mouve the car to 1 meter in D drive, 1234 don t work, R works. Any idea , fluid, soleoide, other ?Automatic transmission Aisin seiki réf: 5160197 5040LE/FA40803. Do I need To buy à need one ? Thanks for your advice. N

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Before you bought it, when is the last time the car ran? Valve noise could just be dry lifters that need to be pumped up again.

No movement from the transmission could be a damaged transmission but could be the result of a leak and low fluid. Remove the giant bolt at the bottom, and drain whatever you can from the transmission. Then add 3l of new Dexron III or VI fluid and let the car idle for 30 minutes. Run the shifter through P N R D pausing two seconds in each gear, then while it's running, check the fluid level on the dip stick. Add fluid til it's at the 80C mark.

If after that the transmission still doesn't work, you will want to get a diagnostic tool like Tech 2 that can watch sensor data.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before you bought it, when is the last time the car ran? Valve noise could just be dry lifters that need to be pumped up again.

No movement from the transmission could be a damaged transmission but could be the result of a leak and low fluid. Remove the giant bolt at the bottom, and drain whatever you can from the transmission. Then add 3l of new Dexron III or VI fluid and let the car idle for 30 minutes. Run the shifter through P N R D pausing two seconds in each gear, then while it's running, check the fluid level on the dip stick. Add fluid til it's at the 80C mark.

If after that the transmission still doesn't work, you will want to get a diagnostic tool like Tech 2 that can watch sensor data.
5"]

[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for your advice, the car didn't run for q lot of years. I replace sparks, adjust time chaining to the right position, replace time chaining tensioner, same noise from head gasket. So I need to remove head gasket to see valves. Next time I will flush automatic transmission from your advice. Thanks again. I hope I m not need to buy a new one. N

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
What caused you to "adjust" the timing chain? There is essentially no reason to ever need to do that unless something very bad has already happened.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know car history, but I remove head gasket to inspect and I saw that nothing bolt , chain was not in align in the right position. Thanks for your answer. N

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi everyone,

Change transmission oil Dexron III, 4 Liter, same issue. After investigating, it's the engine that don't give enough power for the car to drive. Next week I 'm going to open de head gasket to see valve conditions, I hear valve noise knocking sound and white smoke. A lot of work on the programm. N

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, After removing Head Gasket, I confirm that adminission valve second cylinder is dead, stays in open position, don't close. I order a new set of valve. Easy job, it's takes only two hours to remove all parts and Headgasket that is heavy. Pictures will we ad the next time. See you there

1 - 20 of 41 Posts