SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I started messing with Saabs I had a 1986 Maserati Biturbo (86 and older were turbocharged and carburated- really ghetto). They both suffer from a similar problem- non standard wheel lug paterns. While I had the Biturbo, Momo began making these special lug nuts that they called Magic Nuts. They are kind of hard to explain so please refer to the pics. They are 2 pieces forged together that consist of the 60 degree taper that mates with the wheel and the lug nut itself. The lug nut "floats" on the taper which allows 1-2 millimeters of side to side play. This allows the use of 5x112 lug spacing on our 5x110 hubs as the difference in only 1mm when the wheel is mounted . The cool thing about this is that there is a LOT of 5x112 wheels available with perfect offsets and bore centers for the front wheel drive Saabs. I have been using them for about a month on my 99 9-3 vert. with absolutely no problems.

The downsides are:

Momo hasn't made them in 2 years. I was able to track a set down with a couple phone calls to wheel retailers. Seemingly, retailers who sell Momo might still have a set or 2 on their shelves.

The hubs must be studded. The factory wheel bolts have to be changed to studs which I prefer anyway as it is easier to mount.

Hubcentric rings *MUST* be used.

The Magic Nuts are pretty big (diameter is about 1 1/8") and cannot be used with tuner lug type wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
5x110 is the standard GM Europe size.

5x112 is the fitment generally used by Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

I think perhaps the reason the magic nuts are no longer produced is because they don't sound very safe...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Jack had his magic beans.

'saabie has his magic nuts.

I wonder what Jordan has?:eek:

Sounds a bit risky mate. Bolts pulled at the slightest angle tend to snap - unless they're soft ones. You've done it to gain a bit of width or use some second-hand alloys? Shan't be doing this any time soon I'm afraid.........

Nice looking wheels tho'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts