SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
what about the Saab Lancia?

http://www.saabsunited.com/2010/05/the-saab-lancia-600.html

"This is why so many cars overheated. So after they finally figured this out and changed it back to 82`c for the summer and 87`c for winter, the problem was solved."

I'm not sure how to wrap my head around that explanation. As I understood Jim, the thermostat mostly controls when the cooling starts. A 5 degrees difference does not sound much to me.

Unless the coolant used back then boiled at a lower temperature and the higher set thermostat gave it too little room for play..?

If so, such could explain why we see so many alternative thermostats even today. My local third-party spare parts catalogue offer me no less than 4 thermostats for my 9000. 74, 82, 88 and 92 degrees if I interpret the model numbers correctly. I suspect they simply offer any thermostat that can fit...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay I just got a 1993 Saab cd and I have a question. How high can the thermostat gauge on the dash read before it is overheating? I have noticed this car running hotter according to the thermostat gauge than I'm used to from other cars however after reading the OP I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I found this thread by doing a search for "alcohol injection"... Saturday, I did a search trying to find proper t-stat temp for my 91 vert. This post was nowhere to be found (or I didn't scroll thru all the pages of posts to find it)... It's VERY informative and would have sent me packing to the parts counter lickity split.

So... For the other noobs to the Saab world, wondering if their car would benefit by running a cooler t-stat than recommended by the factory...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thermostates are pretty **** nowadays?

My original thermostat started raise temperature on idle, about 10 o clock (89year gauge) but in drive it dropped normal 8 o clock.

So, i bought wahle made in germany, temperature raises on 10-11 o clock all driving situations, not lower than 9 o clock what was unusual however. Radiator was calm, upper hose hot.

Today i bought motorad from saab shop. Now radiator is hot and upper hose is hot, temperature is 10-11 clock.

Im totally messed up, what is good thermostat? Ive been pressing hoses etc but no air ymmm, thermostat is still wrong and ****?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate our gauges are. With OBDII reporting 195F, my gauge reads about a third of the way up.

Here are some in-circuit temperature sensor voltages:

0.9 V at 60 deg C
0.54 V at 80 deg C
0.41 V at 90 deg C
0.26 V at 110 deg C

·
Registered
1 Posts
my poor saab

my poor saab died when, it blew radiator fluid into the forced air intake thru some little hose or something ?, is this an ok place to say that

·
Registered
16 Posts
biggest thing to know about coolant is absolutley no leaks. it is a pressurized system. water boils at 212°F for each pound of pressure the system holds you get 1 extra degree. so if you have a 16 lbs system that isn't leaking you won't boil untill 228°F. most cooling fans don't kick on untill 215-220. this is just a base for only water in the system.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts