SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my tires replaced at Les Schwab (so shoot me but I needed a new tire like now) and they told me I needed new brakes. I had an appointment set for later in the month to do so, so I declined.

One week later I get a horrible grinding noise while driving home. Since no one has touched the care except for them I bring it back to them. They tell me my brake is broken.... no further explanation its just broken. So I had them replace the front brakes. $660 later, they tell me the rods that hold the wheels in place are loose, and my battery is shot. I tell them to &@#*@## and just fix the brakes which took a week to order some part in from Cali.

I went to pick up the car tonight and the key wont turn in the ignition, no steering wheel lock, I tried that trick. The battery is completely shot and there is some weird noise because all of the needles in the dash are freaking out. Im heading out to get a new battery but does anyone know why the key wont turn or why the needles are having seizures?

Once I get it to start Im taking it to the original "Saab Savvy" guy that comes highly recommend by the Saab Club around here, but I would like some advice in the meantime since its a long weekend and who knows how much I will have to shell out to get my car towed all the way into Seattle from the south sound.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Probably the battery. Replace that for a quick diagnose. If it says GM/Saab it's original and due for replacement.

And the steering issue I'm guessing could be the stabilizer links which are common.
I believe what "holds" on the wheel are tie rod ends and those shouldn't be bad yet.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Just FYI, the reason they go through things like a battery, is that you have a 6 cylinder engine packed into a 4 cylinder space. Even the 4 cylinders have problems since turbo engines especially without ventilation just hold heat.

My 08 with a 6 went last year and wife's 09 with a 4 went this summer on a 100 degree day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts