SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
l have an airbag.So what? The advent of airbags and their fitment to all new cars has done nothing good for the aftermarket steering wheel market.Until recently one of the first things l did to new eurocar purchases was to fit a MOMO,Sparco,OMP, Personal or Nardi wheel along with requisite aftermarket shift knob. A Racing seat sometimes followed depending on my plans for the car. My daily driver for over 20 years was a 1984 Porsche 930,euro model. l never crashed that car in spite of my lifestyle in first years of ownership :). l steered with a MOMO "race" wheel which replaced the "Monte Carlo" l installed right after l bought the car. No airbag. l now drive a 2002 Viggen Vert,the Porsche has been sold (l kept the custom allow shift knob which now resides in the Viggen). Not a day goes by that l don`t wish l still had that car...The steering wheel hub is available from an italian company ,Volanti Luisi direct from their italian website. l have secured a 25% discount for any who would like one,with shipping this comes out to $85.00 approx. l found this company after much research and many false hopes,to my knowledge they are the only game in town(please correct me if l`m wrong. l bought a steering wheel (MOMO`s have doubled in price since l bought my last one) link here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140890593650?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
l offered $59 (shipped)and the seller agreed.You may get one cheaper. MOMO`s were $220 and l wasn`t sure if l could live comfortably without steering wheel stereo controls so l`m experimenting. From my research these ltalian made Tekniq wheels are excellent for the money,so we`ll see. One issue that should be known about this steering wheel is that the mounting holes are compatable with Nardi,not MOMO,differnt bolt pattern.Adapters can be had,spacers can be made into adapters or if you`re me, you`ll redrill the hub. l`ll post pics when l get the parts,stand by
PS-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nardi-Horn-Button-Blue-with-Chrome-Trim-and-Saab-Scania-Logo-4041-01-0214-/120998331222?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2c100356&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would be interested in the hub for the SAAB, not that I want to change mine. My experience with the hubs offered for sale, is that they appeared mired in 1960. That means these hubs have:
No, or too small, machined windows for the signal cancelling pins. Incorrect splines or taper for new car steering columns. No provision for steering wheel controls, which on my 95 would lose paddle shift, SID review and reset, audio controls, and, course, no airbag, but thats a given.

It is also given that there is a potential for x93730534291 posts pointing out that the life saving aspects of air bags are so great, its irresponsible to remove the air bag.

lol

For my other car, a properly machined hub which retains all functions for the car save for air bag costs about 350 dollars.

A momo hub which is specified for the same car costs 125 or so, but has to be hammered on, ( doesnt really fit, no master spline and wrong taper) and loses all of the above mentioned functions, so by the time you have hammered it on and ruined and removed the clockspring mechanism for the air bag, a remote switch for horn and turn signals is required. Thats called a "ghetto fix" in my book.

wow. what a pita.

SO that said, show pictures, lets have a look at what is available for SAAB

ps: perhaps the 9000 has a hub, but I can find none specified for SAAB 9-3 or 9-5.

For interest here is the NRG brand description for the hub for my other car, that I know will not fit; I have highlighted the "fine print" in the description. lol

Description:
Thickness:
For Off-Road Use (Disable Air Bag)
May required custom modification for installation
NRG Steering wheel short hub use for NRG quick-release kit for vehicle equipped with aftermarket racing steering wheel.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They make a steering wheel adapter for our cars... You don't need one custom made
Did you even read my post? l`m not getting one custom made,l could do that myself.l`m buying the hub from the only company l could find that still makes them for the 98-02 9-3.l`ve done my research, l`ve followed the "oh just call ______,they have them". l`ve seen a couple on ebay,turns out they were mis-listed and/or out of stock. So if you think you have a legitimate line on where exactly one can purchase a conversion hub to allow MOMO/Sparco/aftermarket steering wheel fitment to a 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen,please post your findings. l found a source,$83.00 SHIPPED,details in my post :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Just a heads up but Luisi has a different bolt pattern then a momo. I almost went this route since I have a luisi wheel and a quik release for another car. But i'm not giving up the controls that the wheel offers and the air bag. Plus, you need to program all sorts of **** to get the srs to turn off, etc.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
good info. I am still sub'd for results.
It easy to do a race wheel. The controls? not so easy. Make a hub with internal splines? Even less easy. There are not many machine shops can cut internal splines...

all the best to the OP

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is indeed the part,l bought one...and two days later was told by the seller that they don`t have any and haven`t sold one in eight years(!) but l could let them keep my money and they`d call me when/if they got more. No thanks,l have one coming direct from the manufacturer in ltaly :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just a heads up but Luisi has a different bolt pattern then a momo. "

True, but the adapter hub is drilled/tapped for the two different bolt patterns of 70mm and 74mm so this hub will allow fitment of virtually any aftermarket wheel. Luisi (74mm)is the same as Nardi,Tekniq,Raid,Tazio Corse,SWM among others. The 70mm smaller pattern is shared by MOMO,Sparco,OMP,etc... l`m not too upset about losing the steering wheel controls and Saab sells an airbag delete kit to keep the dash light fairies at bay. l will indeed post pics during and after. This Viggen is the first performance eurocar l`ve had that sported a factory wheel (tells you something about my preference for pre-1990 sports cars)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You need to be careful about removing air bags in street driven cars that originally came with them. I heard a story from a female friend about a guy who was a friend of a friend that modified his car (no idea what it was) and omitted an air bag. His wife was driving the car one day and got into an accident and was killed. Well, the DA went after him for removing a required safety device and ended up getting sent to prison. As if losing his wife wasn't bad enough. If you sell the car with the bags out and a future owner is killed, guess what? Also, if the car is insured and YOU get into a serious enough accident where an adjuster has to do an assessment of the car, they'll notice if no bag is present and it might lead to insurance fraud (for not reporting the car no longer has air bags in the car) or other hassles you probably won't want to deal with. I'm sure you'll scoff and ignore the warning, but the possibility of loosing everything should be something you don't take lightly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
before you get on my bad side....

i personally know of 4 ppl that have these hub adapters, not including the one pictured.
l think that`s awesome,thanks for sharing...but l stand by my comments :) if you did read my post your initial response made no sense at all. l said nothing about getting a hub made, l was sharing that l found a source and that l`d bought one.l know you`re a moderator and l respect that but l`m not going to play tippy toe because of it :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts