SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do automakers insist on putting that rubberized coating over plastic trim? I've allready had the glovebox button and the cupholder replaced when the covering started to peel off, and now the dash surround is going the same! The other day when I had the a/c on at full blast, I noticed the dash trim near the center a/c vent had some condinsation on it. I went to wipe it away with my hand, and a chunk of the coating wiped along with it!

Granted Saab is going to replace the trim under warranty, but it makes me worry about the rest of the trim, especially the door handles. I was seriously thinking about keeping the car at the end of my lease, but if the interior is going to fall apart as the car gets older, I might think about changing my mind.

Anyone else have this kind of issue?

(on the bright side I think I can convince the dealer to allow me to keep the bad part, which I can then have leather wrapped like the elusive Hirsch leather dash that popped up on here a month or so ago)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This is small comfort, but BMW has had reports of a similar problem with the new 5-series. Manufacturers like the rubberized coating, because it projects a higher quality image than shiny plastic. Of course, if they can't keep the coating on the parts, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Lots of folks have peeling issues, me included.
My biggest concern is 3 or 4 yrs down the road, when I'm out of warranty. I don't want to buy a whole new climate control unit just cause of peeling buttons!

·
Registered
846 Posts
To date, I have only needed the glovebox button replaced. The peeling was so minor it was the dealer who noticed and replaced it without my asking them to do it

I worry about parking my car in the sun and the heat that builds up tearing up the dash. I have been using a sunshade, so far so good.

My 93 build date was 9/02 - when should I expect to see more extensive dash peeling, or...should I have already seen more peeling by now, so maybe not worry about it getting worse?

Also, are there any dash products (Armour All, ect) that might be causing the rubber to peel? I never use any products like that to clean my dash, just a swifter wipe. I am wondering if there is a potential chemical incompatablity with some of the interior cleaning products on the market?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
Also, are there any dash products (Armour All, ect) that might be causing the rubber to peel? I never use any products like that to clean my dash, just a swifter wipe. I am wondering if there is a potential chemical incompatablity with some of the interior cleaning products on the market?
Actually Energy all i ever use on the dash is a damp cloth, i never use any chemicals or products to clean my dash.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
saabasaaba said:
Actually Energy all i ever use on the dash is a damp cloth, i never use any chemicals or products to clean my dash.
Ditto. My dash is lucky if it sees a swiffer, or a damp cloth twice a year. :roll:

·
Registered
846 Posts
saabasaaba said:
Then I suppose the peeling is only a matter of time for my 93

But I do think I have one of the earliest build 9-3ss on this forum so I am kind of curious why I havent experinced the problem to the extent some of the owners have?

Now I feel like putting my dash under the microscope and looking for beginning stages of the peeling issue. :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
saabasaaba said:
Lets just hope after i get those issues fixed that i don't find my seats melted after leaving the car in 100 degree weather!!:eek:

No worries...SID tells me its 109 today..unfortunatley parked in employee lot in full sun. Seats havent started melting...yet :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, had the same just last week - just above the airvents on the dashboard.Thought I had scratched it but when my dealer saw it he said no problem to replace it under warranty. Having just switched from an Audi A4 one of the most disappointing things about the Saab has been the quality of the interior, not what you expect on a £25k car!

Neil.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neil Rainbow said:
Yeah, had the same just last week - just above the airvents on the dashboard.Thought I had scratched it but when my dealer saw it he said no problem to replace it under warranty. Having just switched from an Audi A4 one of the most disappointing things about the Saab has been the quality of the interior, not what you expect on a £25k car!

Neil.
The other places weren't so bad, this one is driving me nuts! The "hole" in the coating is about as big asa fingernail, a big shiny plastic spot right smack in the middle of the space above the vents. Dealer is all about replacing it, but it figures that the piece is on backorder and who knows when it will be in stock. ;oops:

Glad i'm going on a long business trip and the 9.3 will be parked. Atleast if I'm not driving it, the problem will be out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I heard on the VW boards where this is very commonplace, that you can scrub off all the SOftTouch paint with a brillo pad in a few hours and it looks great. I'll try to post the link.

Update: I couldn't find it. It was on the vwvortex.com site and it's always hard finding stuff on that site. Anyhoo, good luck. Hey at least it's being replaced under warranty, I don't think VW would've done that..........

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saabless said:
I heard on the VW boards where this is very commonplace, that you can scrub off all the SOftTouch paint with a brillo pad in a few hours and it looks great. I'll try to post the link.

Update: I couldn't find it. It was on the vwvortex.com site and it's always hard finding stuff on that site. Anyhoo, good luck. Hey at least it's being replaced under warranty, I don't think VW would've done that..........
I had a 2000 GTI, and yeah the soft touch coating they use sucks more than Saab's. The brillo pad is an interesting idea, but there's no way I'm doing that to my 18 month old 9.3... It's not that I'm above the idea, but it's under warranty, and there's no way I'm letting them off that easy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a build date of 09/02. A linear with the sport launch and touring options. No peeling problems, no faded handles. The car is garage parked at night, rarely washed (we live in a new development with so much dust it's pointless right now) and not babied (but is taken care of). Other than the rattles, I'd say the build quality has been really good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saabasaaba said:
ok Just got back form the dealer this morning, they inspected the car and now have all the parts that were peeling ordered, they will call me when the parts come in. Everything covered under warranty. :cheesy:
Which dealer in Jersey are you dealing with?

·
Registered
63 Posts
2005 93 Linear - had the car 4 months - no problems at all till I read this thread - I noticed a bubble on the temp knob and as I began to wipe it began to peel. I have also notice peeling at the ignition switch. The cause there is probably my over abundance of keys.

Can any one tell me how durable the wood grain is?

Maybe I can talk my dealer into replacing it under warrenty with the wood grain vs rubber coat.;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts