SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's the deal, i have, in my 9-3 a stock head unit and 6 disc CD changer in the boot as the car is an SE it also has the external amp and subs in the doors, last year i replaced the rear 6x9's with 180w pioneers and found them to be little better than the stock speakers due to the low out put of the head unit so i also added an amp to drive then, the difference was enormous and i have been more than satisfied with things until now, the passenger door sub has split its cone so i have had to remove it, my quandary is what to do now, i could just buy 2 now speakers and fit them as subs ( is a speaker different if its used as a sub?) but what i thought of doing was fitting new full range speakers in the doors, fitting another amp to drive them like i have in the rear, then fit filters to the existing dash speakers effectively tuning them into tweeters. Then i thought about building a wooden floor for the boot (trunk) and placing a larger sub under the floor so it fits inside the spare wheel, i think this would need a third amp as i am guessing the stock amp would not drive this boot mounted sub adequately

1) does this sound nuts

2) is there an easier way to achieve my goal as i don't want to replace my stock head unit

3) what door speakers do you recommend for either subs or full range

4) is three amps really necessary and/or safe

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a 4 channel amp running the 6x9's in the rear, and then i got a set of orion component speakers (6 1/2's for the doors, 1" tweeters for the dash) and made mounting brackets for the dash. the 4 channel amp runs the components in the front, and the 6x9's.

i removed the stock amp that runs the door speakers (it's under the glove compartment in the center console), and made a mounting bracket there as well, where i put the crossovers for the components. from there, I used the stock wiring to get to the door speakers.

replacing the stock 4" speakers in the dash with tweeters, and running crossovers (which should come with any component setup), will dramatically improve the sound stage.

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Products/Products.aspx?ProductID=535 <--component speakers that i run.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so could i run a 4 channel amp using 2 channels to run the front speakers and the other 2 channels on a cross over to run a sub??, i would like to keep the front and rear fade facility so i guess i would need 2 amps for this ??

·
Registered
694 Posts
yes. 4 channel amp to run all your speakers, and a second amp to run a sub.

on crutchfield, there are 2 5 channels amps you could consider. the infinity reference amp (i have no experience w/infinity amps; their speakers are top notch) is 4x50 plus 1x150 for a sub. there is also an alpine that is 50x5, but you have to run a specific alpine deck to make it work, and it's designed for 5.1 in car installations (for dvd's, etc)

just cause i like to show it off, here is my install

one amp for the subs, then the 4 channel for the speakers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice install. I have a 2001 9-3 SE and am considering adding a system to the car but have yet to determine the preferred route for getting power from the battery to the rear of the car. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I second the notion of a good 5 channel amp if you wish to run a sub. You dont have to get a new one....there are plenty of 5 channel amps on Ebay. I just picked up a nice Alpine one for $48. What a steal. This keeps the wiring and mounting simple rather than running separate amps. Get a set of separates for your doors and dash. I dont know how many subs you had in mind, but the downside of the setup pictured above is that it uses up valuable trunk space. Depends on what you want to use your car for and if you plan to haul stuff. You may very well be happy with a 4 channel to run just a set of separates up front and your 6 x 9's and skip the sub.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have an 8" Bazooka Tube (built in amp) in my trunk and it sounds awesome with minimal space required. I have replaced the 6x9's in the back with Sony Xplod... still running the stock dash speakers. I also have the SE amp and door speakers but they're not in operation at this time due to having an aftermarket radio installed and no ambition to tear it all apart again. The Bazooka is plenty bass for me! :cheesy: I plan to get some component speakers for the dash and doors at some point but not right now.
Here's a link to a thread about adapters that can be used so you don't have to hack up your wiring harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts