SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well one of them. I have been looking for the heater valve as in NZ they are NZ$338.00. Do I have any other options?

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is what I did when faced with a similar problem:

1. Get 2 short lengths of 15mm copper pipe and solder to a 15-22mm reducer.
2. Roll the open end of the 15mm pipe to fit inside the broken stub of the plastic heater spigot. This may need a bit of effort but ensure that you get a good fit now.
3. Smear epoxy resin on the outside of the 15mm pipe and the inside of the plastic heater pipe and push the copper adaptor in as far as it will go.
4. Put a Jubilee clip around the plastic pipe and tighten
5. Leave until the epoxy has PROPERLY hardened.
6. Fit the heater hoses as normal.

I did this 20,000 miles ago and it's not spilled a drop! Pics to follow when I've walked the dog...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dog walked, here are the pics:

The most important bit is getting a really good fit between the copper adaptor and the plastic heater spigot - it's worth spending time getting this absolutely right. The completed job looks like this:

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm - I had wondered about exactly that fix

Thank you very much, I have about the same amount left as you have with yours. Let me say though, my heater is not working very well at all. I haven't looked yet to see if the control rod has fallen off. When the pipe broke I just thought maybe the whole heater valve needs to be replaced. Perhaps this is not the case if your pipes broke but your valve still works fine. (My car has 90000km on it)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I notice that yours is the same year as mine and the heater on my 1992 is nowhere near as good as that on my 1989 900 (RIP). The earlier car had hoses going directly to and from the heater valve whereas the later one has those plastic bypass devices - yours may be allowing too much hot water to bypass the heater matrix as I suspect that mine is.

As far as I'm aware, the heater valve is either working or it's bucketing coolant all over the carpets. I've had the rod fall off a couple of times though.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha - thanks

My heater control rod had fallen off too, hence no heat, it was stuck in the cold position. How do they fall off, not that easy to put back on!! Now once I fix the heater pipe I might be able to warm with the top down!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
nuclear_jimbo said:
The earlier car had hoses going directly to and from the heater valve whereas the later one has those plastic bypass devices - yours may be allowing too much hot water to bypass the heater matrix as I suspect that mine
My '92 had that contraption going into the heater valve..The heat never really got hot. I just took it all out and ran a straight line in and out....now it's will burn you out of the car, as my other Saabs have always done. :cheesy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts