SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had put a new cooling fan blade on my friend's NA 16v 900, and we fired it up to make sure everything worked.
Pushed the snowflake button, both fans came on, and the air in the car started to get nice and cold. The car ran for a while, and no overheating of the engine. He was happy, so off he went.
A bit later, the A/C started getting warm and the coolant temp needle started going up. He pulled over, and the cooling fan was not working...not the A/C fan, but the radiator cooling fan. He checked and the fuse was blown. Put in a new fuse, and the cooling fan still didn't work. He drove it home.
Any ideas? He says he just put in a thermo fan switch not long ago. I told him if the cooling fan isn't coming on, it's either the fan motor or the thermo fan switch...and I missing something? His cooling and A/C look exactly like mine and mines an 87 NA 8v 900.....
I know the A/C WON'T work if the car temp gets too hot, so that particular switch, located in the passenger side radiator hose, is working....when the car overheats - the A/C kicks off. So what's shutting down the radiator cooling fan and blowing a fuse?
If the thermo fan switch for the cooling fan goes bad, would that blow a fuse? If the fan motor it'self was dying, would that blow a fuse?
The last time I looked at the car, all fans were turning and A/C was cooling! WTF?
Any help appreciated!
THanks -

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Flungster:

It is getting hot. 84 degrees here today; I'll bet it was nearly 90 in Hot-lanta.

You didn't specify the year of the car.

If '89 or older: There are two fuses to check for the cooling fan. Make sure that both are good.

The cooling fan relay may be shot -- check it. It's in the left front wheel area on most; in the fuse panel on newer cars.

And, yes, the motor going bad can blow the fuse, but I would bet that it's something related to your repair -- wire pinched, etc. Go back over that (I'll bet that you've already done that).

OOPS!! I almost forgot!! Check the ground! Check that first! Easy fix, could be the problem! Check the fan ground. Make sure that it is well conected and isn't exposed where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply eggs!
Yeah I'll go over all of that when I see him again...might not be until next week. I think tomorrow is the hottest day, then we have about a week of HUMID Atlanta thunderstoms and rain. Too bad, we had a few days of 77, dry and breezy which was awesome! I'll try and get his A/C together before summer hits, he lives right in town where it's 10 degrees hotter than the area I live in. I wanted to double check everything, but it was working perfectly and so he hauled **** away, with nice cool A/C so I left it at that! I think his is an 88 or 89, the whole fan assembly area looked exactly like mine...his compressor had the fittings on itself, but mine are in the hoses. All of the other stuff looked the same. I didn't think about the relay, you mean the one that shuts off the fan after you park and turn off the car? I had changed that one in my car too a while back.
You know, I lived in Nashville a while (near the park) and loved it, but it seems to sit in sort of a 'bowl' of heat, humidity, and pollen HAH! My wife and I visit now and then, we always talk about coming back up for Steeplechase. :D
Thanks again man, enjoy the holiday weekend!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes, Nashville can be a bit still on the hot days, but so can Atlanta!! The pollen is a bit hard to take because we are far enough north to have the Midwestern plants in abundance, and far enough south to say the same for the Southern plants. So, we have a lengthy spring and fall hay fever season just for the variety of foliage.

'The Park' - Centennial Park? With the Parthenon? Near Vanderbilt? Great area. Lots to do 'round there. Loved it when I was in college at Vandy.

Of course, I get to Atlanta from time to time, but it's always a rush-rush day and a half in Norcross or thereabouts. I never get to go anywhere 'fun' there.

Happy to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts