SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car is a 2007 SAAB 9-5 2.3T. I have been searching for SAABs for a little over a year and have a massive appreciation for the brand and the particular car I have. It’s such an amazing car in every way! I bought it from Demi at Precision Plus SAAB and Imports for a great price at only 67K miles. As of right now there’s a tick over 70K and was wondering what I could do to help keep this car alive as long as possible. I have been putting 93 octane gas in and have been warming the car up for a few minutes each day during these freezing PA winter months. What else could I do to maximize the reliability of this amazing car?

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Welcome aboard! Feel free to check out our OG 9-5 forum. There is a TON of past threads with a bunch of good info. If you have specific questions, do a search as it’s likely already been brought up before. ;ol;

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They are great cars, and agree keep up with regular maintenance. There is no reason your car should not last well over 250k miles. My 2000 Aero has 294K miles and I rebuilt the engine at 250, and suspension at 290k. So stuff does wear out, and honestly the engine rebuild was not needed (i had to replace the timing cover due to a water pump failure and the trans would not go into reverse so the engine came out and one thing led to another).

I think the thing that will get you is rust. Whatever you can do to keep that at bay, it would be beneficial.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are great cars, and agree keep up with regular maintenance. There is no reason your car should not last well over 250k miles. My 2000 Aero has 294K miles and I rebuilt the engine at 250, and suspension at 290k. So stuff does wear out, and honestly the engine rebuild was not needed (i had to replace the timing cover due to a water pump failure and the trans would not go into reverse so the engine came out and one thing led to another).

I think the thing that will get you is rust. Whatever you can do to keep that at bay, it would be beneficial.
That sounds great! I cant wait to post more about this car. Is there anything I can do to prevent rust? Besides just keeping it away from those dreaded salt trucks and properly drying after a wash?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just getting in he Saab world. My son had found a 92 c900T convertible in a field here in VA with a142K on it and bought it for a whopping $50 bucks. I spent all of late spring, summer and fall getting it into shape. All engine hoses and belts replaced. Brake lines replaced as well as pads and rotors. Major engine tune and had a transmission Dialysis done. Well by this time I'm hooked and found an 04 9-2 convertible with 35K. Bought it sight unseen on e-bay so only had those pics to go by.
It wasn't abused but it wasn't cherished either so I got that for my weekend car.
So other things on the 900- I had a new two piece top put on as the original was in tatters, the upholstery was ripped and a lot of the foam missing, the drivers seat had twisted seat syndrome--- that my friends was a mother. Had the whole car painted in it's original Eucalyptus green-- Gorgeous!
So still have some things to do but it is now a reliable driver, and I will be devoting more time to my underappreciated 9-3 this spring

1 - 8 of 8 Posts