SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first car, it is a 1993 Saab 900 with a 2.1L 16 Valve engine. It runs and shifts good (I think its four speed, my dad couldn't seem to find fifth gear) Was just wondering if there was anywhere I could download a manual for it and if anyone knows why the radio wont turn on. Theres also a few other minor problems, need to fix the horn and one headlight. The headlight assembly, the whole glass peice, is loose and needs something to keep it straight. Aside from that, I love this car already! (Pictures will come later, its dark and raining outside) BTW, i paid 900 for it and got an extra set of steel rims.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
it's a 5 speed, 5th is tricky to find, it's literally like, RIGHT beside third, you barely move the shifter over at all when your shifting to 5th, as for the others... horn i'm not sure :lol: headlight, you'll probably have to buy a new assembly, unless it's just the bolts that are loose in yours... i never could find just the bracket for my car, so if you find it, you suck :cheesy: other than that, congrats, you'll love it, mine's saved my life a few times, but what i've learned, treat them with respect ;) oh yes, and pics ASAP or ban :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ban, thats a little harsh

I allready love this car dearly and so does my mother. She literally got out of bed to go take it for a drive. Yeah, Pics should be up tomorrow afternoon. Just one spot of rust on her. She's a beauty. I'll let my dad know about fifth. Even without fifth, she cruises at a pretty good knock. Thanks for the reply, I'm going to bed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You wouldn't have happened to buy the Red 93' 900S that was in schylerville? :lol:

Just wondering, I'm in Saratoga Springs, BTW. Nice to have fellow C900 neighbors...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah

Bought it in Greenwich, pronounced "Green +Witch" for all you guys overseas that say it wrong. :lol: Still wondering about a manual for it though, and how to fix the horn and SRS light from flashing oh, and mine is red.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yea, it was the one on Craigslist, it had Thule bars on it and 160k, I just looked at the ad last nite.

As for the horn, probably the contacts in behind the buttons in the steering wheel. SRS light can be attributed to the horn buttons. Someone will chime in with all the details im sure..

Haha, small world...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saab6 said:
Yea, it was the one on Craigslist, it had Thule bars on it and 160k, I just looked at the ad last nite.

As for the horn, probably the contacts in behind the buttons in the steering wheel. SRS light can be attributed to the horn buttons. Someone will chime in with all the details im sure..

Haha, small world...
Gotta Love Craigslist. I swooped on it as soon as I saw it. Interior needs some work, but I just need to make it pass inspection. Needs some TLC and a new tailpipe. Any guesses as to why the exhaust system seems to rattle a bit?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey

I also just bought a Saab 900 for 990 dollars.!

It is great, but something went wrong with the motor, but now its back to normal.

Is your headliner and the carpet on the door falling off?
I just fixed mine...

Take care of it. And drive safe!

·
Registered
157 Posts
knowing a 900 in the northeast the exhaust has probably has a few "kob job" fixes. It could be a lose heat shield that's rattling on a pipe or a loose hanger.

BTW, i just picked up an 89 SPG parts car..

If you'd be intrested in getting together I could take a peak at some issues and give you some advice/help..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I looked at that manual, the gauges are a little differant, but It should serve me well. I pulled out the radio today, Cant get it to turn on, but it does have a four digit code written on it, hopefully if i can get it to turn on it will work. The headliner looks like someone put tacks of some sort in to hold it up. Once i get the horn, headlight and exhaust system fixed so that it will pass inspection and get it on the road, I will turn to the interior a little bit. Previous owner was a painter so its not perfect. The car was originally from Connecticut and I was given with the car all receipts for everything that has been done to it. I will make a list later today and post it if I dont have too much homework. Getting together would be great, but not sure when I will have time. I am an active Eagle Scout in BSA Troop 61 and try to keep my grades well into the 90's. Just a few more question however, whats the easiest way to get underneath these cars, put them on those ramp things, or just jack it up. I did take a closer look under the hood this morning, and around the battery is a little rusty. Should i just spray paint it again? And what is the gear layout for the shifter?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
1-3-5

2-4-R

It's sprung to the centre so to get 5th you have to push out of 4th and push against the spring. Don't pust away from you as far as you do for reverse as you'll miss 5th.

BTW it's been called 'grenitch' over here for a few hundred years then you lot stole the name!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
As for the manual, the end-all of DIY books for this car is the Bentley. They can be had on ebay, and other various places that can be googled. A little pricey, of course, but worth it if you're keeping the car.

Before you put down the money for a new headlight assembly, it may be worth a look at some local scrapyards... sometimes you get lucky. You might find other stuff of interest while you're there as well. :cheesy:

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
philjohnhb said:
... it's been called 'grenitch' over here for a few hundred years then you lot stole the name!
Many historical linguists assert that American English has changed less since the 18th century than London English, suggesting that you Lobsterbacks used to call it Green-Which. I think it's you who've changed; witness "By Our Lady" turning into "Bloody".
I'd avoid the historical argument, was I you.

BTW "you lot" is you lot; we wouldn't name a town Dummer without your influence.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
lifegaurdhitch said:
Just a few more question however, whats the easiest way to get underneath these cars, put them on those ramp things, or just jack it up.
Nobody's jumped on this yet, so I will...

I don't care what car it is - NEVER get underneath a car supported just on a jack. Not even "for a quick look". Not even "not very far".

When the car falls on you, it's very unpleasant for other people to have to get the marks off the paint and mop the blood up. Be considerate to them. Please. Use ramps or axle stands. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I knew that..... I cant seem to get my Clarion cassette/am/fm radio to turn on at all, no display and the aerial (antenna) doesn't go up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
lifegaurdhitch said:
Yeah, I knew that.....
You asked...

I cant seem to get my Clarion cassette/am/fm radio to turn on at all, no display and the aerial (antenna) doesn't go up. Any ideas?
The aerial goes up when the head unit tells it to - so if that ain't working, it won't.

Pull the head unit, check for power and earth on the right pins. If they're there, lob the head unit - it's dead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply, I will start by asking the scenario that if I don't find power and earth on the right hand side, what then? and also, where might i find a replacement head unit that will just plug and play?

Also, on a side note, the horn does work, my dad just didn't see the button in the dark. Speaking of dark, the switch right above the ignition that controls the dome lights doesn't seem to turn the lights on and off. Is it easy to replace? the switch doesn't feel like its actually moving, it just wobbles around.

·
Registered
157 Posts
lifegaurdhitch said:
...Speaking of dark, the switch right above the ignition that controls the dome lights doesn't seem to turn the lights on and off. Is it easy to replace? the switch doesn't feel like its actually moving, it just wobbles around.
The contacts in the interior light switch often burn out making the switch inoperable. You can remove the switch from the console by prying with a small screwdriver.

Then unplug it from the connector. It will only plug in one way so don't worry about the direction. You can then dissasemble the switch by pushing in on the pivoit points, then the top will remove. Take a peek at the contacts and guarenteed they are fried. I picked up 3 at a junk yard and none of them worked either. Best to order a replacment, eeuroparts.com is a good source.

BTW, you can remove the radio from its sleve using DIN removal tools or by bending 2 metal coat hangers. The radio sits in a sleeve with a connector so it could be removed from the car like a removalbe faceplate. To ck the connections you woud have to remove the sleeve from the dash. They are block connectors which don't just fall come apart by themselves.

It is possible the previos owner had an aftermaket stero installed and kept it and just threw in the orignal without wirring it up..

I may be willing to part with the factory Clarion from my 92 which should be the same if you are intrested.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts