SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2003 Saab 93 Vector 6-speed about a month ago. It has 100k miles on the odometer and two previous owners.
I bought it because I wanted something fun with a manual transmission that wasn't very common. So far, this thing has been a blast to drive. The car pulls fairly hard. Feels light years quicker than my old Pontiac with a 4t65e transmission. The previous owner also had the car tuned to stage two via Brew City Boost.

The car, appearance wise, is in excellent condition. The previous owners took great care of the interior and exterior. No tears in the leather, and creasing is minimal. The buttons all have their paint still, except for one, which i have somehow started to take the paint off. Everything works electronically, except the rear license plate lights which have just stopped working. I had to rewire them to the rear fog lights for them to come on. I believe the trunk wiring harness may be shorted.

The downside was that the rear main seal was leaking very badly and it had some sort of coolant leak. The rear main seal was an all day job, and i went ahead and replaced the clutch and pressure plate while I had the trans out. Shortly after buying the car it developed a really bad vibration. The passenger motor mount was torn. No biggie, took 10 minutes to change. I thought th coolant leak was the expansion tank seeping at the seam, so i changed the tank. It got worse and worse and now my cylinder 3 is flooded with coolant and will not crank unless i take the plug out of three and let all the coolant out. I have a head gasket kit and plan to change that as well as the timing chain, balance chain, and guides while I'm there.

I'm hoping that it's just a head gasket and not a cracked head or block or i have to get a new engine. The car never overheated to my knowledge. Could the tune, with its extra boost, but more strain on the headgasket causing it to fail? The car seems very well taken care of and not abused, is it just my luck all these things are failing as i take ownership?

TL;DR: car fun, car broke now, still love car

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi congrats on aquiring your saab and welcome to the community.

The process of changing the rear main seal is a PITA.

Did you check the water pump?

Try posting your queries on the workshop section. You will get more replies there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts