SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i put on my e-brake and then let off the brake the e-brake doesn't really engage and the car will slide backward/forward if on a hill etc... after about 20-30 seconds the e-brake magically works, but i have to keep the brake pedal pushed down and keep testing it every few seconds.

my best friend's driveway is on a slant (the car would roll backwards) right on a very busy street, and everytime i go to his house i spend half the time i'm there worrying about whether or not my e-brake is gonna give all of a sudden.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Ummmmmmmm.....just leave it in gear like you have too.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
any suggestions?

I forget where I read the tutorial, but adjusting the ebrake is really really easy.

If you open your center console, pull out the cup holder (if you have one) and lift up the rubber matt thats on the bottom you can adjust it using the knob(?) thats under there. That should solve your problems.

--Matt

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Mattlach said:
I forget where I read the tutorial, but adjusting the ebrake is really really easy.

If you open your center console, pull out the cup holder (if you have one) and lift up the rubber matt thats on the bottom you can adjust it using the knob(?) thats under there. That should solve your problems.

--Matt
Thats only really for fine tuning, any major adjustment should be made through the hole in the rear brake assembly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raven18940 said:
Ummmmmmmm.....just leave it in gear like you have too.
if the car is in reverse and i'm on a hill parked facing UP the hill that's not going to do me any good

·
Registered
158 Posts
It should hold your car on the hill unless it is already rolling and you let out the clutch, or the hill is a really steap hill and your car is really heavy. or your car has really really bad compression.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
if the car is in reverse and i'm on a hill parked facing UP the hill that's not going to do me any good
If you know it wont hold why would you park like that? :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
I recently noticed that I've been forgetting to set the e-brake a lot and my car has yet to roll away. You'd be surprised what the engine will hold in a low gear. Now if you were to leave it in say 5th, then yes it would roll down the hill.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
whenever i put on my e-brake and then let off the brake the e-brake doesn't really engage and the car will slide backward/forward if on a hill etc... after about 20-30 seconds the e-brake magically works, but i have to keep the brake pedal pushed down and keep testing it every few seconds.

my best friend's driveway is on a slant (the car would roll backwards) right on a very busy street, and everytime i go to his house i spend half the time i'm there worrying about whether or not my e-brake is gonna give all of a sudden.

any suggestions?
same with me. But what i do, i don't know if you've done this already. but just lift it all the way up, until it stops clicking. That's how it works for me, because i know if i don't do that, my e-brake won't work.

~Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
mfong said:
same with me. But what i do, i don't know if you've done this already. but just lift it all the way up, until it stops clicking. That's how it works for me, because i know if i don't do that, my e-brake won't work.

~Mike
This is the same for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris, the only time i've encountered that problem is on a road where it's impossible to park the other way, for instance when the only parking spaces are on one side of the road...

Raven, I can't leave the car in any gear other than reverse or I can't get the key out...

Normally when I use the e-brake I pull it all the way up until it stops clicking then I usually give it a few extra tugs to make sure it's all the way in there, and it still doesn't seem to hold until about 20-30 seconds later...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
Chris, the only time i've encountered that problem is on a road where it's impossible to park the other way, for instance when the only parking spaces are on one side of the road...

Raven, I can't leave the car in any gear other than reverse or I can't get the key out...

Normally when I use the e-brake I pull it all the way up until it stops clicking then I usually give it a few extra tugs to make sure it's all the way in there, and it still doesn't seem to hold until about 20-30 seconds later...
oh man. i have no clue what to say. I do the same, i pull it all the way up, and give it a few tugs too.

~Mike

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Is this normal for the 9 5 or are they a weak point? Mines been like this ever since Ive had it. To be honest having to leave the car in gear anyway has made me lazy in getting it sorted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts