SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

I was able to salvage my driver's side mirror just before the wind blew it off!! However, what would be the best type of poxy to put it back on with? Its a heated mirror, the old adhesive just gave out. What are your recommendations. Obviously something strong that would hold it to its heated base. I noticed that the old adhesive was applied on the back of the mirror's edges. What say you?

Best Regards!

·
4,637 Posts
Heated door mirrors come as standard on the 9000. The wiring is there in the door on the C900 so you just need one wire from the door into the mirror and a ground on the mirror adjuster motor.

I'd suggest double-sided tape to reattach the glass. Take out the backplate from the mirror body first though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Same issue (nearly) happend to me. Driver-side mirror was getting very wobbly, I figured it was the fixture, but then I caught the mirror just before it fell completely off! :eek:

Anyhow, I just took the mirror off, drizzled some Gorilla Glue on the back of it, and put it back on. Since Gorilla Glue needs to set for up to 24 hours, I placed a piece of styrofoam in the middle of the mirror (won't scratch!) and then taped around the whole thing. That helped keep the mirror under a bit of pressure while the glue setup. One note, though: keep the Gorilla Glue away from the edges. It expands a bit after it dries.

So.... no problems since! Easy fix. :p

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have a roll of very wide doublsided foam tape wich I used to re-attach my drivers mirror recently, the heater still woks fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used silver-gray silicone adhesive caulk on mine. Taped the mirror to the base while the caulk/adhesive set up. I cleaned up the back of the mirror and the rubber base with alcohol first to insure a tight bond.

My experience is that the caulk makes a very good adhesive in situations like this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
906 Posts
drg23 said:
HEATED?

i wasnt aware that any 900's came with heated mirrors... talk about s****y :)

G
I think in the US the heated mirrors came on 900 MY 89 onwards. The 9000 had them too. I installed them in my old '87, needing a ground wire and tying into the rear window defroster for the feed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yipcanjo said:
Same issue (nearly) happend to me. Driver-side mirror was getting very wobbly, I figured it was the fixture, but then I caught the mirror just before it fell completely off! :eek:

Anyhow, I just took the mirror off, drizzled some Gorilla Glue on the back of it, and put it back on. Since Gorilla Glue needs to set for up to 24 hours, I placed a piece of styrofoam in the middle of the mirror (won't scratch!) and then taped around the whole thing. That helped keep the mirror under a bit of pressure while the glue setup. One note, though: keep the Gorilla Glue away from the edges. It expands a bit after it dries.

Thanks! :) Yeah, I know it came be some pretty potent stuff, your right it really does expand!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yipcanjo said:

Did you kind of apply the glue or towards the center? I just want the heat to be apply to work for the mirror upon re-installing it. Thanks again!! And thanks to everyone else who responded:) !!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
cdaly said:
Heated door mirrors come as standard on the 9000. The wiring is there in the door on the C900 so you just need one wire from the door into the mirror and a ground on the mirror adjuster motor.

I'd suggest double-sided tape to reattach the glass. Take out the backplate from the mirror body first though.
are the 9000 mirrors (the glass bit) a similar shape and size to the 900 ones?
i remember my brother having to alter the shape of some heated mirrors on his A6, and my removing some of the material to get it into the mirror body, the heating element was broken

G

·
Registered
516 Posts
91900turbo said:
Did you kind of apply the glue or towards the center? I just want the heat to be apply to work for the mirror upon re-installing it. Thanks again!! And thanks to everyone else who responded:) !!
I just ran a small line of Gorilla Glue around the edges of the mirror (about 1/2" away from the edge) and then criss-crossed through the middle portion. Plenty of grip, and not too much to over-expand and cause issues. Gorilla Glue (as you may know) can be used *quite* sparingly! ;)

·
4,637 Posts
drg23 said:
are the 9000 mirrors (the glass bit) a similar shape and size to the 900 ones?
Identical.

The 9000 and the C900 'vert share the mirror glass and body but have different mounting plates. The C900 has the same glass.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
88+ in the US had heated mirrors. I don't think it was standard though. I know you could still get manual mirrors on at least the 4dr and they sure weren't heated. ;) :p

As for attaching the mirror I would use 3M trim tape adhesive, the double sided type that comes in a roll. It was what Saab recommended using if I recall right, as per Jim.

Remember to clean both surfaces very well, otherwise it won't matter what you use to reattach it, it will just come loose again.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have had little success with liquid adhesives;too damned messy,too many failures, that's why I love the big tape. :cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
grif900 said:
I have had little success with liquid adhesives;too damned messy,too many failures, that's why I love the big tape. :cool:
Yeah I used Gorilla glue on mine an it slipped a little,before it completely set up.What are you going to do?Gorilla glue is forever.:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts