SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2006 SAAB 9 7x was factory OEM halogen lamps. I did many searches, witnessed many other forum dialogs to what works and what maybe didn’t work well. I see the specific to this GM platform "wiring mods" (way below) have had many years history with many repeat success (the thread #s are huge!). Thus I did not really invent any of this and can’t take credit for originality on what I describe as my entire headlamp project below:

I added aftermarket HIDs to my low beams (the H11 bulb), the OEM lens does offer a great “cutoff” and these are a huge improvement in brightness.
As I mention the OEM “projector” does a great job and as of yet no one has ever flashed me oncoming in error assuming that I was on high beam.
If they did a flash back of my Quad-Mod would surely shock them- more on that later.

HID’s were a super easy DIY install and I selected the 35w 5000k for a white color not the super blue 8000 or 55w’s. As well I understood 35w won’t fry the wiring and does not (I didn’t, but read about capacitor install below) require a relay for an alternate power feed to ballasts. SAAB head lamps pop off easy, only item some may not have is a 1 inch drill bit. You drill out the bulb’s round back plastic access cover-lid part. I went slow with a flat spade wood bit and it went fine …the rest was simple plug & play.
I purchased at: http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=29

For the High Beams to match the HID’s output color …research found the closest aren’t available in the USA.
There are silverstars and others but everyone (Calif - tuners) all claimed 1 set was by far the best. For reference and I am very happy I bought these: Philips DiamondVision Halogen Bulb For Car Headlight - HB3/9005 at: http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/...ar,Headlight,,HB3,9005,298219.php?prod=298219

They are a real close "color" match, after all you don’t want yellow highs and white lows do you? But they aren’t on at the same time you say? Well you will want a "quad light mod". To decide you want “quad light mod”…Test at night with low beams on pull & hold back on your dimmer arm stalk (the - flash to pass) and see the difference High and Lows both on at the same time make it! I (like many) do not like that you lose the low lever light area in High Beam on from the factory. Most states 4 lights on at time is OK. BTW. when you go in High beam your fogs (if on) will turn off. There are threads to make all 6 on at once, but I don't want to poke the PoPo! There are a couple ways to do Quad Mod but the best to me I found (below) is easy to add when you address another issue.

OK "issue" with the HID upgrade is your perimeter lights & unlock lights, along with the DRL (daytime running lights) are factory set at a low voltage (less wear on the OEM H11 halogen bulbs). Thus your H11 HID low beams flicker or don’t (primarily the RH one) light up at all when you FOB unlock and look like crap, they buzz and the ballasts don’t like that condition until you start the car and flash the High low beam stalk. You can cancel those options in your SAAB's DIC control settings area ... But I liked them and a very easy remedy for that along with the Quad head lamp if you have a little wiring skill.

Know that a relay or DRL eliminator (more $$ &/or wiring) might cure the low voltage that but for $1.29 you buy this Capacitor from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103610 as well you buy this $1.19 Diode to make “quad headlamps” work: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036270. You need these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103500&clickid=prod_cs Get (have) some heat shrink tube, solder and 18 gauge wire too.

Here's the idea: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=81828 this fella made a Y …some wire plug in to low beam wire to both Diode & Capacitor and those 2 wires out. All done with splice at the BCM - body control module’s lower connector, which is under the plastic cover you see under your left rear seat as you raise it. You’ll ground capacitor end to a good chassis ground bolt & splice the diode end to the high beam wire as described. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=81828

I made mine cleaner, I did not cut OEM wires and can pull these all back to stock in minutes. It is so simple - could do this to another in 10 minutes, scratching your head, double looking will take up most of your time making sure you do it right. I heat shrunk & taped so there is no bare wires (vs. the photos in the mentioned thread). There are clear flow directions for each Diode & Capacitor installation but this really isn’t hard to do, and if you do take to a mechanic-garage, I suspect all of the above HID's and this could be done in under 1 hour labor.
With the Battery disconnected for the Diode I pulled the connectors off BCM, pulled the blue clip wire connector holder off and made the diode shaped like the photo attached. I put a layer of tape over it and left the ends bare for insertion. Silver strip end of diode goes to black with white stripe (high beams) and the other end goes in wire right next to it, pink with white (low beams). When you insert the blue terminal holder back in this all will be held in place and the taped diode sandwiched in between there. For the capacitor I used a pink wire "tap-in" to the pink and white wire. The capacitor was inserted in line between 2 six inch wire leads, soldered and heat shrunk. Took the other wire end (capacitor point flows to ground, it is the wire side attached to the body-can of the capacitor) under the large seat nut for chassis ground. Staying away from that large BCM positive shown there. Add 1 wire tie & it all fits under the cover, is very clean and there are no exposed wires in my installation vs. the link I shown above for reference.

As far as I know all my factory options remain in tact, my perimeter lights, auto off and DRLs in gear … same as before… just better. : )

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More photos

Pics or its a lie : ) .... I was going to edit these in the original post but time to edit has expired...it was nice outside so I grabbed some photos with my Iphone ...here is my actual installation.

The all photo shows the pink Tap-in going to white Tefzel aviation wire (its a SAAB made from jets ...laying around here so why not?) to the shrink wrapped capacitor then to 2" stripped wire looped under the big seat nut (didn't have big wire eye, may add later).

Zoom ups show close ups best I can. See the arrow? You can see the Diode is well trapped and insulated.

I'll try & grab & add some night time against my garage showing the great cut off these have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for all the wonderful information!!

But I do have a few questions. I was thinking about getting Hid's for my hi, lo, and fogs. Would you recommend doing this or would you go about it a different way. Also if I were to do this do I need a relay harness to run from those lights to the batteries. I am looking for any suggestions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am far form an expert... but here is what I gleamed...

As I understand it...HID's in the high beams aren't worth it. In mine I just changed out to the mentioned high beam bulbs for under $50 or less than half HID kit, doing it to match "white" output color.

I know some do HID's in the fogs, but I can't say either way...I do know the low beams now seem to outshine the fogs now ..

With my Low Beam installed HID kit and the Capacitor installed at the BCM.. I do not need a direct relay. I have read where the HID's ballast box once lit they actually draws less than the standard bulb do, and the relay is to fight the flicker low voltage DRL issues. Which I had, and capacitor noted fixed. The diode installed is for quad headlights, lows & highs on when in high beam, and it was so worth it, IMHO!!!

I can't for sure say aftermarket HID installation 35w vs 55w as needing relays either, I'd do more googling at other Trailblazer, GMT Forums. It would not surprise me that you don't on our GM platforms. I did read the light output from 35w to 55w the difference is minor.

...... DIY own risk ...standard fine print disclaimer..... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts