SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure by now you all hate me, and my lousy posts just asking for questions. However this time's the real deal, I've put away current grandiose dreams of engine swaps and rally cars (for the time being...till I win the lotto at least) and settled for a mere 200bhp car.

This upcomming summer my birthday comes around, which will provide me with some parts and money. I'll be starting working full time, starting up a detailing company, and some other jobs lined up so I'll have some spare money to fuel this project. My goal is by next summer to have all this completed, and hopefully more but here's the start.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rear Anti-Roll Bar

Wood Shift Knob

Shift Lever Boot

K&N Sport Filter

K&N Intake

Race Chip

Clear Side Markers

Clear Turn Signals

New Lightbulbs (current ones are too easily outrunned doing 40mph)

Lowering Springs

17" 3/5 Spoke Wheels
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any objections, any suggestions?

I'm looking at StateofNine, Genuine Saab, and eEuroParts for most of these items. However if someone can recommend a good site for the K&N bits I'd appreciate it, I didn't remember the intake being $100+ and that's all I'm seeing it sold for now.

I'm also going to have a custom exhaust weld this summer, which should run me less than $100 and then all I'll need to pick up is a tip.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by lowering shocks, I guess you mean lowering springs.

The intakes have been around $100 for a while now, at least 6 months when I started checking em out.

And what sort of race chip are you looking at? I can't imagine much without more mods. I just don't think it would be worth the money. I'm still a strong advocate of the mbc+a. Or if you do go with more hardware mods, then an ecu.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It said springs...I swear :roll: (Gotta check what I write).

As far as intakes go I thought I used to see them for $85, maybe it was a special promo I missed out on :cry:. Oh well, I'll suck it up and shell out another $15 not a biggy.

As far as chips go, I have a n/a car so I'm really only looking at the initial gain the chip will give. Which with a n/a will only be about 15hp to 20hp, but it's a gain nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
woops, forgot about the N/A part, sorry. And for the record he went back and edited his post to say springs not shocks, :cheesy:.

200 hp (wheel I assume) sound good for a N/A then. I don't mean to make it like "well, little johnny is special so he did a good tying his shoes all on his own for his high-school graduation...." I mean like seriously, tuning a n/a bites, so 200 would be good. And that'd be some smooth horses too I reckin'!!!!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Why not try a 2.3 turbo from a 9000 or a 9-5 ??

Or is this a no-fit no-way, Jose , situation??

This is the ways future Saabs should be built; allowing the hot-rodder to use the big engine in a medium sized lighter car...
Much like the Pontiac GTO or the old Buick Century..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
earthworm said:

This is the ways future Saabs should be built; allowing the hot-rodder to use the big engine in a medium sized lighter car...
Much like the Pontiac GTO or the old Buick Century..
Do you mean just the turbo from say a 9000 Aero? Because adding a turbo to a N/A engine is alot of money and work I don't have. I thought about doing a 9000 Aero engine swap with the turbo, but for right now I don't have a reliable mechanic that's willing to do it. The one guy that would is going in for hip surgery soon, so I don't wanna put him through something like this. As for myself doing an entire engine swap, HA.

So I figure for the time being I'll settle for a relatively low N/A car, that won't give me alot of the issues you turbo folks have, AND it'll give me time to save up money for either say the engine swap, or just a new car. I've been having serious debates over whether or not I wanna add a $10,000 car loan onto $50,000 in school loans and just buy a Viggen...heh.

·
Registered
53 Posts
on your headlight upgrade ive recently put in a pair of Osram Silverstar bulbs approx £20 a pair which quote an increase of 60% on normal bulbs withour any additional headlight upgrades.

I had the same problem with poor full beam these have made a difference - whiter / brighter light and longer light beam, id suggest washing out your headlight interior as well (carefully) and DONT use anything but warm water anything else starts to remove the silver lining but it makes a difference

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Just beware: new bulbs will be changed much more often and some people on here have mentioned that when theirs went out they went back to normal cheaper bulbs and noticed that the difference wasn't that great. Kind of a placebo affect, box says brighter, you start to think you see brighter (I realize they are somewhat brighter, but thats what some people who have used them and gone back to normal bulbs have said). A racing chip for the n/a? Do tell more. I would love to get my hands on one of those chips. I think it would be fun to tweek my 2.3L n/a engine for some more hp, more of a challenge than a turbo engine.
earthworm said:

Its a tough call. Lots of things have to be changed out. In the end its cheaper to just buy a 900SE rather than convert a 900S into an SE.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The name of the chip I'm thinking of just won't stay on the tip of my tongue. I was talking with my car fiend friend today about it, and we even talked about the chip and it's gains and already I've forgotten it's name :(

I should see him again this weekend, and hopefully I'll remember this time. The chips from a respectable company though if that's what you're worried about, they've been featured in Euro Tunner alot so if anyone reads that magazine maybe that'll hint you in as to what I'm talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts