SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a story. I lent my 1999 9-3 to someone today and it has come back broken. They parked up then put it into reverse and lifted the clutch pedel thinking that the engine was no longer running. The car jumped back and in doing so has ripped the driveshafts apart. They drove the car back to my house ( about 2 miles ) and said that it was very noisey and harsh to drive and change gear.

I have had a quick look and what I think has happend is that when the clutch was quickly engaged the rear engine mount has broken and then the engine twisted and pulled the 2 inner CVJs apart. Its a wonder that it got home !

This is only a guess as to what has happened. I will get a better idea when I have a closer look on Saturday. Has anyone had this happen on their car before and what sort of other damage can I expect to find?

Mike

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Mistake one was lending out the car
Mistake two was not fixing that old worn out mount
Your CVs did take a hit, but are probably OK.
If one was actually "torn apart", the car would still be sitting, or on the hook of a tow-truck.
I'd be concerned with all that noise; the engine's oil pan could be "m/m" with the subframe.....not good..
All kinds of damage result when a mount breaks, some major, most minor, if fixed right away.
Lets hope for the best:cheesy:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Possibly a broken clutch friction plate spring.

Does the noise change when depressing the clutch pedal? Car moving versus not moving? Is the clutch binding?

Also, if the parking brake was already engaged when they popped the clutch in reverse, that might be stuffed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I will be looking at the car this weekend. The sound and noise runs all through the chassis and feels to me like the engine is hard up against the chassis somewhere. I am thinking at the moment that I may need a couple of used drive shafts and a new rear engine mount. I cant believe the price of the rear mounts, anyone know a good place to purchase one at a good price ?

Mike

·
Registered
727 Posts
The rear engine mount has a safety cable surrounding it - mine was broke in two, and the cable was holding things in place for some time. I only discovered the broken mount when replacing the gearbox. No major symptoms before that.

The only way I can envision the rear engine mount moving so much that the transaxles became immediately damaged is if that cable also broke.

Popping the clutch while in reverse will torque the top of the engine towards the front of the car. I would be more inclined to think that it's the tranny mount near the left side fender well, or front engine mounts.

What, if any, abnormal noises does the car make when it's idling out of gear and not moving? A pulley on an AC line will make a horrific noise.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Check the aluminum bracket on the passenger side of the engine (where the A/C compressor mounts) where the motor mount attaches. If the bracket broke, the engine will fall and the harmonic balancer will rub on the chassis. These motor mount brackets are extremely weak and it doesn't take much to break them... Ron

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ron, I checked the right hand side bracket and it is ok.

Thanks bobdotorg, it was the rear mount and as you can see from the photobucket links the mount has had its top mounting stud ripped out !!!!
The mount has come to rest to the right of where it should be and is stuck there with the weight of the engine and gearbox.

Thanks earthworm, It looks like the driveshafts will be ok. I will get them out tomorrow after I have bought a 32mm socket. The inner boots have been pulled off where they have been rubbing on the subframe, I am hoping that I will just need to change the boots and grease. The sump is resting on the subframe and I guess this is causing all the vibration when the engine is running.

Will keep you posted. Here are a couple of pics of the engine mount the one with the arrows was taken from under the car. The red arrow shows the top mounting stud and the blue arrow shows the resting place of the now sheered off mount.

I need to get a new mount at a good price if anyone knows where. they seem to be quite exspensive :cry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Photoman1958/Saab 9-3 engine mount/DSC02820S-1.jpg

This photo is taken from under the hood, behind the engine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Photoman1958/Saab 9-3 engine mount/DSC02824S.jpg

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts