SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to drop my car off for yet another warranty claim today at the dealer and as I always do I call ahead to make sure the parts are in and my loaner is ready. I end up talking to the service manager and he asks me to wait until next week as the District Service Manager from GM is coming in to review the warranty work that has been done on my car and take a look at my car in person. The service manager goes on to tell me GM will not authorize any more warranty work until the DSM has taken a look at it. This is the first time in 14 years he has ever seen anything like this.

This would have been my 37 claim in 18 months....yes thirty seven.

My dealership has been great in the sense every time I have had a problem they have been more than willing to address it and for the most part fixed it the first time. I have never showed up demanding anything, I simply show them my concern and they fix it (replace the part). Most of my issues have been reoccurring and known fit and finish concerns: driver side door trim (3 times), peeling buttons (2 times), seat squeak (4 times - we have figured out the problem now after replacing the seat frame) etc. etc. I have had only 1 mechanical problem with a knocking strut that was fixed.

So my question to you is as we don't have a lemon law what should I do? Other than this fit and finish BS the car runs great. I presently have 50,000kms on it so I have another 30k of warranty left. I am just worried when I go to sell it I have someone pull the service record and laugh at the 10 pages as they come off the printer.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I'de be asking for a new vehicle.

I bet you havn't even tried.

People normally get what they ask for expecially being so many.

This is a bit more drastic then most cases Ive heard about.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice guy.

I see that you are posting from Calgary. I have had a terrible experience at Crowfoot (purchased a pre-owned 2003 93 SS). Here's my story .

I hope for your sake that is not who you are dealing with. I have since taken my car to Calgary Saab NE and they have been very helpful on many occations.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a number of us on here.

I have used Saturn of NE in its many different names "Cooke motors, summit... etc" for almost 22 years now. Although I have had a number of issues with my Saab the dealer has dealt with them without complaining and done what it takes to get it right.

bseggewiss - let me know how you make out with your exhaust. My recommendation would be to use Carline Muffler in the NE right behind T and T super market/Marlborough area. They did an amazing job on my dad's 1972 MG Midget. They had to work around suspension parts, pan hard bar, super low ground clearance and a very awkwardly placed fuel tank. Did it perfectly with a surgeons precision.

I have wanted to do my exhaust for some time but have been a chicken. I DO NOT want to sound all riced up and don't have the time to experiment.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Most lemon laws are for unresolved mechanical issues not relating to fit, finish or rattles. Its amazing the dealership has taken care of you for the 37 previous times and Saab should be complimented. The district manager will inspect your vehicle and find out if it was product related or owner induced (wrong cleaning products, abuse, etc.)

When you make a product and warrantee it, there will be warranty issues. There are known problems with the coated dash buttons on older models.

Thanks for sharing how Saab has covered the vehicle to this point and it will be interesting to see what they do from here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DanS said:
Most lemon laws are for unresolved mechanical issues not relating to fit, finish or rattles. Its amazing the dealership has taken care of you for the 37 previous times and Saab should be complimented. The district manager will inspect your vehicle and find out if it was product related or owner induced (wrong cleaning products, abuse, etc.)

When you make a product and warrantee it, there will be warranty issues. There are known problems with the coated dash buttons on older models.

Thanks for sharing how Saab has covered the vehicle to this point and it will be interesting to see what they do from here.
The district service manager for Western Canada never followed up with this car so the dealer has been doing more work to it. The real unfortunate part of all of this is my car had never once run poorly. Only fit and finish issues. I basically take it to the dealer and say here is my problem. Most recently it has been a VERY squeaky seat. We think we have it figured out. The only part of the seat that hasn't been replaced is seat cushion. The present theory is the attachment points of the cross wires the foam sits on are rubbing through their coating and coming into contact with the support wire making a metal on metal squeak every time the load changes. I have parts coming in from Sweden - hopefully this works.

The dealer I am working with has been great - my wife and I are looking at a new 93 sport combi for her this summer. People may think I am crazy for going back to Saab, but there is much better value to be had and the service I have received (lots of it) from the dealer has been great.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hmm....interesting. I am sure you will like the new Sport Combi and as for your almost "service area" visit. I would not think to much about it. Warranty is warranty, but I guess there comes a point where the cost of repairs outweigh the cost of the car and that is where you would declare the car a
lemon. I don't think it is the manufacturer's intention to be paying out so much in repairs.

Obviously, it costs them $X to produce the car and they they add in a certain percentage of $X to cover warranty for the 3/4/5 years they usually cover. This is the cost the dealer pays for the car and then comes the dealer markup which is usually the playing room for every new buyer.

Yeah, I know this is news to most people, but I assume manufacturer's don't want to pass a certain percentage in warranty work. Otherwise, they start losing money.

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
killerniceguy said:
There are a number of us on here.

I have used Saturn of NE in its many different names "Cooke motors, summit... etc" for almost 22 years now. Although I have had a number of issues with my Saab the dealer has dealt with them without complaining and done what it takes to get it right.

bseggewiss - let me know how you make out with your exhaust. My recommendation would be to use Carline Muffler in the NE right behind T and T super market/Marlborough area. They did an amazing job on my dad's 1972 MG Midget. They had to work around suspension parts, pan hard bar, super low ground clearance and a very awkwardly placed fuel tank. Did it perfectly with a surgeons precision.

I have wanted to do my exhaust for some time but have been a chicken. I DO NOT want to sound all riced up and don't have the time to experiment.
I am familiar with that place actually. Never been there though. I use a custom muffler shop down south by the newer passport office. I have been taking all my cars there for the past 8 years. They put 3 different exhausts on my 81 Malibu, with amazing results. They will be suprised to see me pull up in a SAAB.

I understand your hestiation because of the ricey sound, that is why I am going with the magnaflow, or the flowmaster... going for a deeper throaty sound. Muffler is only 80 bucks, give or take, and couple hundred for the custom work. When I get it done close in the new year, your more than welcome to listen to it yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
iv been having the same sqeeqy annoying noise from sumwhere, im not sure where its coming from. cars under warranty till april and iv been living with this for half a year now. if i go into the dealer shud i jus let them figure this out?

and secondly my cd players been skipping, not much but every now and then and the other day i could use any of the skipping controls on my steering wheel and the main controls. wot do u guys think they l do for that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
bseggewiss said:
I am familiar with that place actually. Never been there though. I use a custom muffler shop down south by the newer passport office. I have been taking all my cars there for the past 8 years. They put 3 different exhausts on my 81 Malibu, with amazing results. They will be suprised to see me pull up in a SAAB.

I understand your hestiation because of the ricey sound, that is why I am going with the magnaflow, or the flowmaster... going for a deeper throaty sound. Muffler is only 80 bucks, give or take, and couple hundred for the custom work. When I get it done close in the new year, your more than welcome to listen to it yourself.
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/

I've not heard this muffler on a Saab but I have heard it on a Mitsubishi Eclispe and it does not sound like a rice burner. It had a very nice sound. Check out some of the sound clips on the web site.

If you have an Aero you really should check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts