SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask and find out of why does the car burn gas so fast. I always buy high taste for my car. Any feedback back would help thanx..

·
Registered
179 Posts
What mpg are you getting?
I am getting 22-23mpg highway mileage on a 9-5 aero driven at or around the speed limit.
I've got 160K on the clock.
I've heard, but not tested, O2 sensor replacement puts miles back into the tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What mpg are you getting?
I am getting 22-23mpg highway mileage on a 9-5 aero driven at or around the speed limit.
I've got 160K on the clock.
I've heard, but not tested, O2 sensor replacement puts miles back into the tank.
I'm not sure, My engine is v6, I had 112k on it, If the O2 sensor needs to be replaced, what else does it needs thanx

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're getting any hesitation or weird idling issues as well, could be an EGR valve. That'll kill your gas mileage pretty fast. Did it only recently start getting worse mileage?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're getting any hesitation or weird idling issues as well, could be an EGR valve. That'll kill your gas mileage pretty fast. Did it only recently start getting worse mileage?
Yes, what do I need to do and what is EGR valve. Do I need to replace the oxygen sensor

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
before we start throwing out ideas...first tell us what mpg youre getting now!

the v6 definitely is not known for it's mpg rating, many dont see better than the high teens in town, although it can be pretty good on the highway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
before we start throwing out ideas...first tell us what mpg youre getting now!

the v6 definitely is not known for it's mpg rating, many dont see better than the high teens in town, although it can be pretty good on the highway.
Based on v6's, they supposed to give u 26-27 on highway and 18-19 in city, Rite now its running between 21-23 on highway, and probably 16-17 in city, I know my car needs tune up, thats why trying found out what the issue is.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I know my car needs tune up, thats why trying found out what the issue is.

I dont know what a "tune up" is but if you mean its due a service then this can dramatically improve your MPG especially if plugs are fowled, filters blocked etc....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know what a "tune up" is but if you mean its due a service then this can dramatically improve your MPG especially if plugs are fowled, filters blocked etc....
Thanx Chris, I will look into it, BTW tune up = service time haha, cheers

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Based on v6's, they supposed to give u 26-27 on highway and 18-19 in city, Rite now its running between 21-23 on highway, and probably 16-17 in city, I know my car needs tune up, thats why trying found out what the issue is.
remember these figures vary in real life situations, and between drivers. city mileage might assume that you have a number of roads you can just cruise, with minimal stop lights- rather than stop-and-go inner city. mileage can easily vary by 5 mpg or more between driver- even assuming they drive the same exact car.

many people report about 18 mpg on aeros in the city for example, and i manage almost 21mpg even in the winter. some people can do 25mpg in the city. it just depends.

anyway- a common tune up should help you greatly. new filters, plugs, oil change if you need it, coolant, etc. although i don't even think a 1-2mpg difference in the city is enough to say that ONE specific thing is blatantly wrong.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, what do I need to do and what is EGR valve. Do I need to replace the oxygen sensor
To conform to the strict vehicle emissions standards that are in effect in most places today, the automotive engineers have developed the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve. This particular auto product plays an important part in keeping the pollution produced by the vehicle like Saab in an acceptable level, allowing the vehicle to pass the emissions inspection process. The EGR valve is an integral part in two vehicle systems of the Saab, the engines emission and ignition systems. It helps keep the vehicle operate at its most efficient, reducing the harmful emissions of the vehicle by increasing the efficiency of the engine, helping it burn fuel in a clean and efficient manner.
Has your SID warned you of a loose Gas Cap; either way a new set of 02's wouldn't be a bad idea. I have similiar issue's during the warmer motnhs. Just have to recite the Mantra: "It's a Sedan Man." :lol:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
How accurate is the mpg rating on the sid display?
depends. might be spot on, and it might be pretty far off. Mine has been as much as 1 mpg off what i actually got. for the most part it seems to be just about right though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts