SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. BACKGROUND:
Hi friends. Finally inherited my 1999 9-3 SE 2.0L Hatchback in midnight blue from my mother. She (the car) ran rough and shaky at idle but otherwise ran fine and had no warning lights. After a short road-trip coming off the highway the engine vibration got quite bad during normal driving and I lost a lot of acceleration. The whole car got quite jumpy and it was very concerning. I managed to limp home. After some reading on this forum I decided to change the spark plugs, which I did (NGKs); the old spark plugs looked awful so I felt validated here. She started up fine and the vibration at idle was gone! But when I put her into gear the whole car shook twice as bad as before and I immediately killed the engine. A slew of lights came on the dash (CE, Transmission, Oil, Battery).
2. LE ROUGE ET LE NOIR:
I borrowed an OBD module from a friend and pulled a code: P0340. Read about it on this forum and I've decided I need to get a new DIC. The DIC I have in the car is black and AFAIK is original. However... Every black DIC I can find does not seem to list my year/model/engine in the fitment and I've found red DICs that do list my year/model/engine as fitment. What I've read seems to suggest that T5 = Red DIC and that I've got a T5, even though it's been running with a black DIC. Before I purchase a DIC online I really need some guidance as to which one to get. Can somebody please set me straight?!

Cheers and thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Red DIC is what you need. P/N 55561132.
Use only original DIC, with aftermarket one you will get troubles.
Which spark lugs you use?

·
Registered
973 Posts
"Use only original DIC, with aftermarket one you will get troubles."

What Mimmi said. Plenty of advice on here agreeing with that. Don't cheap out! SEM AB was the original manufacturer, and In the states I understand NGK took them over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your replies! @Mimmi - the plugs were NGK V-Power resistor-type.
W/r/t the DIC: It's nice to hear that I'm not crazy and that I DO need the Red DIC. I was going nuts trying to find the Black DIC with correct fitment because that's what was already in the car! I guess somebody replaced it at some point with either the incorrect DIC or aftermarket or something. No idea how long it was in there or how it was running. I thank you all for setting me straight and will update the thread if the problem is solved or if it persists. Attached is a cute picture as thanks.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts