SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally I finished with the Stage 4 from Maptun for my B207L MY2003 vector(EU version), with 94000km.

At this time has; Maptun Stage4(ECU+Aero Injector,TD04-HL14T turbo,Ferrita Downpipe+catback), Forge Intercooler+silicone hoses, Maptun strut brace, Aero suspension kit, AP racing Brake kit(Abbott Racing, CP5200 calipers/discs 330mm+Ferodo DS2500 pads).

Possible future mods; Spec Clutch, better rear discs/pads, KW coilover kit.

I begun with Abbott Racing, it was the available at this time the basic kit or stage1 as you like, 210bhp and 310NM. Quite well, they installed with the new ECU a new wastegate actuator(smaller one derivated from racing) and adaptor module for the absolute pressor sensor. After several miles of use it appeared a "clicking" noise from the turbo, well the wastegate was broken, new turbo(under warranty, thanks to the dealer). The problem?? well bad job from Abbott doing the adaptor module. Mods and a new one, after everything corrected and few miles of it i begin to listen again the clicking noise. mmmmmmmmmm.....before breaking again the wastegate...... well good bye abbott!!

At that time I installed the Abbott grooved discs/pads set, and they were a big big improvement, I recommend them a lot. If you have the 285mm or 302mm discs/pads, go for a better ones grooved.

Then I was Nordic, mmmmmm Stage2, 235bhp/375NM, ECU+Ferrita Catback, easy!! I go for it!!. Awesome!! after 40000km with it. Well incredible performance and punch!! the turbo gauge arrived at the end of the red zone, and quite agressive.

But the thing is I drive it agressively, I decided to upgrade other things, like the Aero Suspension, and better brakes. I checked Nordic for the AP racing kit, but the aftermarket service it's really bad, I am sorry but never find an answer to my requirements or order for this kit. I wanted the AP racing kit and i went to Abbott and crossed the fingers. Well purchase done and first issues. The caliper carriers they send were the ones for a 900/9-3, after they send the new ones, the left one was slightly different from the right one, WTF!!!! that's a precision job??!!! The dealer as loyal customer and they love to do this things!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: they corrected it and installed everything. What a change!!!!!!!! bufff you need to look at the rear mirror before braking.

Another issue with the kit, Abbott Supplies the kit with Mintex pads, the M1414 if I remember well, those are for racing applications and Mintex doesn't sell them anymore, well......the problem?? some small wear in the discs. I changed them for the AP racing pads and now the Ferodo DS2500.

Issues with Nordic?? well, after several thousand miles, sometimes the car entered in limp home mode or the turbo looses power or the ECU cutted the turbo boost, but without CEL, something that the dealer never found. Last year, with about 85000km I changed one coil, and I decided to change all four, also the sparkplugs needed replacement.

Few months ago, I replaced one engine mount, the catalityc converter cover had a scratch and the dealer weld it, and before that I need to replace the metalic hose that goes from the turbo to the intercooler under the engine, a small scratch just in the engine support. After the cat. converter repair they need to weld this hose, as the scratch appeared again. Well it seems Nordic uses too much boost. And also I need to replace the Bypass valve of the turbo, the diaphragm is quite weak and its a common issue of the GT2052 turbo.

After that I begun to notice a vibration of the engine at idle, and some "poping" noise from the exhaust, the engine wasn't runing so smooth. I decided it was time for a Ferrita downpipe, the turbo it needs a better air evacuation. I suppose again more issues with the intercooler hose, or something similar. The dealer also notice that, "this car always sound incredibly well, and so smooth" said.

I decided to go for Maptun, as the downpipe need software update, and after several tries to contact with Nordic and no response........well Stage 3 and go!!. First issue, there is a faulty adaptor for the downpipe-catback, call to maptun and the next day the dealer had the adaptor, it wasn't exactly the good one, but always this dealer has some State of art job, and installed. After that, well the car continued with the vibrations at idle and the poping noise........They decided to check compression after several checks of coils, sparkplugs....

The Issue?? well after 93000km of agressive driving instead of oil changes every 10000km, no hard driving in cold and so..., I know that sooner or later it will arrive. One exhaust valve perforated, yes, with a hole!! in the cylinder 4(no comrpession) and the cylinder 1 begun to loose compression. And the car went really fast, this engine is a rock!! the valve was melting slowly, also they found the exhaust manifold gasket was broken and the diaphragm by pass valve was again broken(less than 3000km from the last change).

New 16th valves, resurface of the headgasket and so.... Work done and the next day, pluf!!! what happened always with nordic kit, the turbo is gone, no boost, now recovers now not, and finally after two days with it, no boost, like it was in limp home mode. The problem?? the wastegate, is broken, I suppose the Abbott kit with onle few hunderd miles of using it had enough to wear the wastegate as the first time, and the Nordic kit and agressive driving did the rest.

Perfect!!!!! I have the excuse to go for the TD04, but Maptun staff it's on holiday!!!! o my god!! calling to RBM performance, Neo brothers(htey had a used one), and so...but nobody have one in stock. Finally I need to wait. And finally it's done!!

Well what I learn from this?? For B207E/L users, if you want to go beyond Stage1, think about changing the turbo. The bypass valve isn't quite strong and at least Forge has no replacement.

About tuners, well. Abbott has some variety in special items and good stuff and service, but the quality it's quite bad in some stuff, let's say reliable. It's a big disappointment the issue with the AP racing brake kit, with that state of art brake calipers it's quite hard to find someone offers this, instead of WP Pro, Ksport or similar brake kit, that for me I am sorry with I don't trust them a lot.

Nordic, Great performers, good stuff, they offer the AP racing kit!!!, for sure they could customize the car a lot with special things, but the aftermarket service for people outside Sweden is horrible!! They lost twice an order from me, twice!!!

Maptun, these guys are the "momentun" Saab tuners, take chance of that!!. I think some parts are little bit expensive, you can find them anywere a little bit cheaper. That WP Pro kit, could be good but I am sorry I prefer the AP racing ones. They offer variety and for sure if you ask them they could customize things. Very good aftermarket service.

Let's see how it goes, I cross the finger, but after 94000 I love this car and I enjoyed it like hell!! mmmmmmmmmmmm the speed limit it's at 300 now :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: I am really surprised because at he owner's manual says the B207E/L the speed limit it works at 220km/h but always it arrived at 240 easily, with the Mpatuner I noticed the limit was set from factory at 240.

Also few months ago I changed the cranckshaft position sensor.

Regards

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot some attachments...

I hope it helps for someone with B207E/L this experience.

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good write up!;ol;

Inspired me a lot for my future mods. I'm always thinking for a turbo swap (though not quite prefer for a TD04, as here lots of them blown up for the Evo), DP and a tune.
So how about the BPV? I can't find any aftermarket one, how do you deal with that?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't unable to find anything for the GT20 turbo, but Forge recognise they don't know exactly all the applications of its different models. Could be there are some models could be used. There is one could be useful for the GT20.

This one could be, http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMDVVXR

In the future, could be I take the one for Forge for the TD04 series to avoid any issue. At this time is ok, well it's new.

About the car, it goes incredibly well. Nordic uses more boost, for example is noticeable in the 1st gear, you have more punch, more agressive, in any pushing of the throttle you see how the boost goes as much high as possible.

With Maptun, it's all the way around, it's gentle perse, smooth, but when you push a little bit more the throttle or it detects you want more power more instantly then, pum!!! full boost and it launches. With Stage3, isn't quite radical, but with this stage4, with that smoothness you need to ask for that punch.

regards

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Amazing

;ol;;ol;;ol; Have to say they should make a medal for you for keeping all those tuning houses in business! You certainly dont give up easily. Awesome work.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
;ol;;ol;;ol; Have to say they should make a medal for you for keeping all those tuning houses in business! You certainly dont give up easily. Awesome work.
jajaja that's a good one, as we say in Spain, "La esperanza es lo ultimo que se pierde"//"The faith is the last thing you lose".

I always wanted to arrive at 250. And now finally it's here. My fear is that after few time I will be used to it and want more. But I am really pleased with the result. Now it's only a matter of time to brush up some details, for sure the clutch will be a problem sooner or later. The same way as I installed the AP racing kit few time after I tune with Nordic Stage2, the brakes needed some help.

regards

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...

Now 127.000km... I think it's time for an update of the status.

Recently i begun to hear som roarong noise, and sometimes during braking I notices some vibrations.... After a week, the noise became more noticeable and I was worried when sometimes the 2nd gear jumped....

Well I leave the car at the dealer, we changed the wheel bearings, one of them was a little bit damaged, but the sound was there, and with the dealer we noticed some small weird noise coming from the gearshift after everychange. Well I installed some miles ago GenuineSaab gear shift cable reinforcement kit, and this was increasing the noise/vibration of the main problem.... well they changed the cables, but the noise was there, we were thinking the worst....

I take the car, and after some few miles, that's it!!........the 2nd gear crunches anytime I tried to engage it.... Ok!! let's go for it!

I asked for a used gearbox to neobrothers, but let's think.... Stage 4+ 265bhp, and about 410NM, and I asked also to Maptun about a gearbox and the option to reinforce it, at least with the quaife differential. Ok, no problem, They could do it, purchase of a used one, refurbishment, changing bearings, check status of the used gearbox and install the quaife differential.

Ok, Done...... Also I need to replace the shocks, it's time for it, and I bought the Bilstein B8, and using the Aero suspension springs(I installed the AERO sport suspension kit from Saab).

Another job to be done. There was some oil lieaks I noticed recently. As we checked with the dealer it was the water pump seal, and the other one? THe intercooler metallic pipe under the engine, again! for the second time there is crack on the same place, just in the conection with the engine support. It cannot handle the "boost" and some "dirtness" was going out from there.

Check this pipe, because there it's a cause of some "boost" loose.

THe dealer did the job for all and done a handmade support for the pipe, connection another one back on the engine to avoid movement and reduce stress on the main support.

Also the dealer noticed that the belt tensioner seems has some wear, the pulley had too wear, we compared with one they had in stock, it was right, it should be changed. When you have the whole engine out, it's time to look everything. ;ol;

Also I changed the headlights, as the OEM ones, had some humidity on it. I purchased the aftermarket ones, from Neobrothers, those are the ones evyerwhere from TYC. After the installation the delaer recommended me not to buy anyone else, the measures are a little bit different, not exactly as the OEM ones and the installation was quite hard to be done. About the light, it looks well, compared with the ones I had it's an improvement, but I will need to compare with the OEM ones when new. Those TYC look strange, they look a litle bit strange, the light it's ok, but it seems weird with some lines around.

Now how it goes? just simply superb!! the car can handle quite well the torque, you need to be aware of the amount of grip and reactions, as the car simply grips grips grips...you can go full throttle in the exist of a corner, that the car is looking for grip, on wet you should be more aware of the reactions if you drive it agressively, at this time I am doing some "break-in" and not driving agressively, but as soon as you push the throttle more than expected you feel how the car reacts quite fast. Also I should consider the front tires, need a replacement in less than 2000 miles aprox.

Also it's quite noticeable the Bilstein B8, I was afraid of the height, as those shocks are shorter and compress more than the standard ones the springs, but as everything it's installed, the height it's the same as the Sport/Aero suspension from Saab. They are a little bit more harsh than the Aero ones at low speed, but the feeling is incredibly good, and I am really happy with them.

Also I want to point out something else.... few months ago I listen some strange sound coming from the exhaust...well it was the silencer that was broken, mainly due some "stone" hit, or when entering at home, the main access door has two blades, and a support on the floor, sometimes with the silencer I hit it.

I asked for a replacement from Ferrita, with no cost, and covered by the "warranty for live", they send me a new one. I changed it, and go!!, superb customer service!!

After 10 years, and 127.000 it's like new, smooth, comfortable, and incredibly fast!!

Next thing?? well, I have it clear.... Compomotive wheels, and semislicks tires or Michelin Supersport ones. Then when I need I have those set of tires/wheels and the OEM ones with a sport/summer tires or similar

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Also I installed few months ago, when I changed the front pads, titanium pad shims, to reduce the temperature of the caliper, also to avoid those "typical" sticker shims that after some miles they loose some of it's effectiveness.

regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
What clutch is that? Is it from Maptun/Neo's? I recently got the Quaife fitted and a Maptun clutch - the 450NM one, but it is not a Spec/Blue like yours and is LuK branded.

The Quaife is very good though isn't it :D

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it's from Maptun, I fitted it last year as I needed to change the clutch due wear and also the flywheel.

It's the Spec one, they offered previously the Luk one.

The quaife it's superb!! my god!! it's just courius when you exit a close corner, push hard the throttle and listen the brrrrrrrrrrrrr of the LSD going crazy, but no wheelspin, simply grip. At this time I am not pushing really hard, and get use to the reactions of the car. As I get used to the AERO suspension, that was soft due the wear (it had about 80k km) now the car feels more precise in the steering, a little bit more harsh.

I love this car and the way it goes. It's like new(everybody that goes in says this, :cheesy: ) It's a rock, instead the issues I had, but due the tuning, but as I do a strict maintenance and the confidence of the dealer, superb!!

I should say that Maptun offered a superb customer service, and capability to "customize" and do it easy.

One of the first 10 Maptun Steering.

http://www.saabsunited.com/2012/01/maptuns-new-sports-steering-wheel-arriving-with-customers.html

regards

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One detail that seems common on tuned Saabs, and no way to solve it.

When pushing full the throttle in 3rd gear, sometimes the car cuts the "boost", like it detects overboost or wheelspin, like it's working the TCS, but no TCS light. If you disconect the TCS, then it doesn't happen. I tried with the dealer to agregate in the TCS module, with TechII a bigger brake size, but doesn't work.

After talking with Maptun, it seems it's something that happens in many tuned Saabs.

Regards

·
Registered
139 Posts
Goodness maptun $1,000 U.S. for just a tune on my 2.8.
Bet you could have purchased a complete engine with forged internals and a new turbo for what they charged you. Lol
Bet they love robbing the Yanks.
Just kidding.
Glad your having fun !
Bet you could find a block and start working on a forged engine now that you got the fever!
Also supporting mods are going to become very important. Your whole drive train is starting to get taxed.
Bet fuel is starting to be an issue !
But you can do like i did on my Cobra,,,, when something broke I got better. Got a Twin disk clutch after a stage two then three ,,,, lol
Broke a half shaft at the track, ,,stage 2 then a stage 5. Lol
I actually bent an aluminum ford racing drive shaft!
New motor from ford racing ( blew it up too) lol

Great to see your Saab getting some power. A light shot of nitrous is always fun; a good way to cool things down and to add fuel. Nothing like shooting a purge valve out the hood of your Saab !

Keep us posted and any track times if you decide to go !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Surely they can disable the TCS in the tune ?
Still do it when you push your traction control button?
One detail that seems common on tuned Saabs, and no way to solve it.

When pushing full the throttle in 3rd gear, sometimes the car cuts the "boost", like it detects overboost or wheelspin, like it's working the TCS, but no TCS light. If you disconect the TCS, then it doesn't happen. I tried with the dealer to agregate in the TCS module, with TechII a bigger brake size, but doesn't work.

After talking with Maptun, it seems it's something that happens in many tuned Saabs.

Regards

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem with the US-EU purchases in your case it's the exchange rate. At least they don't charge the VAT, in Sweden it's 25%, for non EU transactions shouldn't be charged, between EU corporations it's neutral, but for non-corporations you should apply the VAT, and increase quite a lot the price.

I remember some years ago when I purchased the whole leather customized interior for my 900 convertible, and some other parts for my Saabs. It was a hige discount due the exchange rate. THe only thing is to ask the seller to declare a low value in the shipping, to avoid the Spanish customs taxes(VAT and so...)

More or less it's what you say, I had the issue with Nordic and Abbott as they push quite hard the car with the turbo boost. At least maptun it's more careful with it, and I adapted the main things to be more reliable.

For the fuel pump, I was thinking the walbro one, and possibly with a bigger injectors, but as it holds the power.

With the gearbox change, as they uninstall the whole engine, with the delaer with take a look at everything, I changed the belt tensioner, I changed both wheel bearings, and the shaft bearing etc. Anytime we notice some wear in one part I changed it inmediatly, if there it's a "twin"(one left one right, you know), both etc etc... It's a hard maintenance but this car it's a rock and I drive it aggressively, mainly on highway and I enjoy it a lot.

"My dream", as i see the same model in the dealer from a second hand dealer it left there to repair, it's to buy a used 9-3 like mine and put a big tune as a track car. Someday will arrive. :cheesy:

The only thing I am really sorry, is when I changed the Turbo for the TD04, not using the 16T, instead the 14T, as now I will pushed the car to about 280-300bhp. With the quaife, forge intercooler, clutch and so...

At least Maptun customized the tune to increase the torque to about 410-420NM

One thing I am a little bit "angry" let's say, no way to diable the "learning" function fot the engine. Sometimes the only option to reset it it's to load the "tune" with the Maptuner, then hereit goes!!

Regards

·
Registered
139 Posts
Getting to the point of a custom tune on they dyno; injectors and new pump. I've had my tuner shut down in the middle of a pull to add fuel. Dangerously lean. They may spot the 3 rd shut down too!
They can load your tune into your handheld.
The problem with the US-EU purchases in your case it's the exchange rate. At least they don't charge the VAT, in Sweden it's 25%, for non EU transactions shouldn't be charged, between EU corporations it's neutral, but for non-corporations you should apply the VAT, and increase quite a lot the price.

I remember some years ago when I purchased the whole leather customized interior for my 900 convertible, and some other parts for my Saabs. It was a hige discount due the exchange rate. THe only thing is to ask the seller to declare a low value in the shipping, to avoid the Spanish customs taxes(VAT and so...)

More or less it's what you say, I had the issue with Nordic and Abbott as they push quite hard the car with the turbo boost. At least maptun it's more careful with it, and I adapted the main things to be more reliable.

For the fuel pump, I was thinking the walbro one, and possibly with a bigger injectors, but as it holds the power.

With the gearbox change, as they uninstall the whole engine, with the delaer with take a look at everything, I changed the belt tensioner, I changed both wheel bearings, and the shaft bearing etc. Anytime we notice some wear in one part I changed it inmediatly, if there it's a "twin"(one left one right, you know), both etc etc... It's a hard maintenance but this car it's a rock and I drive it aggressively, mainly on highway and I enjoy it a lot.

"My dream", as i see the same model in the dealer from a second hand dealer it left there to repair, it's to buy a used 9-3 like mine and put a big tune as a track car. Someday will arrive. :cheesy:

The only thing I am really sorry, is when I changed the Turbo for the TD04, not using the 16T, instead the 14T, as now I will pushed the car to about 280-300bhp. With the quaife, forge intercooler, clutch and so...

At least Maptun customized the tune to increase the torque to about 410-420NM

One thing I am a little bit "angry" let's say, no way to diable the "learning" function fot the engine. Sometimes the only option to reset it it's to load the "tune" with the Maptuner, then hereit goes!!

Regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts