SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share this vid with you guys. I hope this helps some with their decision, that's why I made it. Keep in mind, the mic. on my camera is very sensitive and all sounds are exaggerated including the ambient sounds (another windy day in Chicago)
I tried to get all driving situations except WOT on the freeway, but I think you will get the idea. The real sound live is about 70% of what you hear on the video, it's very tolerable. For best effect, I suggest headphones or at least good speakers with some bass.
The vid is about 9 min long, so if you have time watch it in full to get the idea.
here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkB4TznbCA

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Thanks very much, sounds nice, almost too quite, not much louder, if any than my stock '08 Aero, but it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's quite a bit different than stock, it's def. louder and more noticeable, while still maintaining the same notes as the original I think. Hope you have good sound on your speakers though, it makes a difference.
I really like how it sounds. So whats your actual set up? just Magnaflow mufflers, no resonator? The tips look very nice and cleannnnn as the rest of the car is. may i ask where did u get them from?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Just 2 Magnaflow mufflers 4" X 9" 14" BODY 2-1/4" C/O 11225 left the resonator on, don't want droning :)
I got the tips on EBAY from racingpartsdepot they are 4" stainless http://stores.ebay.com/Racing-Parts...67QQ_sidZ709017391QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
Mufflers from performancepeddler http://myworld.ebay.com/performancepeddler/ also on EBAY, I don't think he carries Magnaflows anymore, but there are others on ebay.
I wanted a clean OEM look, my local muffler shop did a good job.

Thanks for the all the info! Yes they really did a nice clean job!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Aeroflot, would you be up for meeting up some time? I'm considering doing these same changes, including the intake and I'd love to check it out in person.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice! It would be a bit louder with the resonator removed, but I like it kinda low like that. I did my BSR a few months back and that sounds really similar.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good! Add are you gonna add a dp? You'd definitely hear the turbo more and actually utilize some of that restricted power your aero is capable of.

Also am I just seeing things or do you have eyelids on your car?
Yes, lol - I have eyelids. I hated to look of the ones you can buy, they look like the car is tired...or high. I made them myself, they are thinner and follow the contours of the car better. Just taped off the light, sand, prime and painted with bl. gloss and then clear coat.
As far as dp - thats my next "big" purchase, will have to wait till fall/winter :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, lol - I have eyelids. I hated to look of the ones you can buy, they look like the car is tired...or high. I made them myself, they are thinner and follow the contours of the car better. Just taped off the light, sand, prime and painted with bl. gloss and then clear coat.
As far as dp - thats my next "big" purchase, will have to wait till fall/winter :)
Nice man, I may steal your idea ;) what material did you use? I like how they're more curved instead of just straight across. Do you have a phot of them, by any chance?

Also, check out my thread on a diy roof spoiler (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167126), it'd look sweet on your aero. It's a nice cheap mod until some manufacturer actually makes one for our 9-3

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the "Aeroflot" MOD ;)
Just make sure you are using thin black pin-striping vinyl tape to line up your lids. It's easy to work with and you can get it at any parts store.
Need:
Pin stripe tape, painters tape, masking stuff, spray paint, clear coat, alcohol, acetone for wiping off, razor blade to cut off drips on clear, exact o knife.

-Clean your lights w/alcohol
-Use you pin-stripe to line up you lids
-Tape off with good painters tape over the pinstripe
-Sand the are with 800 - 1200 paper
-Clean again with alcohol
-Spray paint w/paint you like (gloss/semi/matte follow inst. on can)
-Wait till completely dry before clear or your line will end up jagged
-Clear, not too much clear though, light coat
-MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS DRY, then remove tape - you can use an exact o knife to remove the pin stripe tape.
-you can buff/wax the lids next day.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Wait the lids are painted onto the headlights? Hmm interesting. Not sure I would want to paint them on there. Can't remove them and all. Nice ride.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Looks really clean, and the video helps give an idea of sound. You used 2 1/4" mufflers....I could have sworn we had 2.5" exhaust from the factory? Did the Magnaflows fit right into the stock hangers/locations?

Sean

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys!

It's 2.5 up to the split, then 2 1/4. The shop made new hang hooks, then the muffler fit perfectly to the factory mounts.

Wait the lids are painted onto the headlights? Hmm interesting. Not sure I would want to paint them on there. Can't remove them and all. Nice ride.
Another option is custom making fiberglass lids, or get black vinyl sheets and cutting out the shape. Guess I could remove the paint if I really wanted to, but I like the look so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 21 Posts