SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to commute through yesterdays snowstorm! However my 900 turbo 16v A.T. did well through all of the mess! My commute was 50 plus miles one way, and just about all hwy! Talk about slippery snow covered roads (8 inches total), stuck lowriders and even some suv crashes, and rolls overs! My rear tires were TOYOs, and my fronts were donors with excellent treads one was a cooper A Traction/A Temp with about 500 plus tread wear, and my other was a Michelin A Traction/Temp A with 500 plus treadwear. My original front tires were a bit used up. I had some extras in the garage. The tire patterns were similar. But the car handled really well, consistently, and very steady! It didn't fishtail, or slide out of control. My anti-lock brakes kicked in nicely! I have a set of 4 graspic dunlops in the garage. My 850 Volvo wagon, handled just as good too, even though it is front wheel drive and not AWD! What say you?

1991 Saab 900 Turbo 16v 2.0 A.T. 176,000 Plus Original miles!:)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The c-900 with proper tires is one of the best cars I have ever driven in the snow. I have been behind the wheel in several 4x4 vehicles as well, but having a higher center of gravity doesn't exactly always help.
Best to have a matched set of tires on a car though!!
Let's all remember one thing... Once the physical limits of traction have been exceeded, you are in trouble (flipped SUVs anyone?), so SLOW down in slippery weather/poor visibility and increase following distances BIG TIME!!:cool:
Glad you had a safe and fun trip!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! She pulled nice and strong, and all 4 wheels (185-65-15) stayed in line with each other. My 2 front tires are not terribly a mis-match, although I do agree with a complete match. They are of premium all season quality and not strictly snow tires, with similar patterns/deep treads. It didn't seem to bother traction whatsoever (VERY MUCH IMPRESSED)! We have another storm on the way tonight, I just picked up some nice 16" wiper blades, and a jug of 2-1 rain-X! I am going to install some 195-65-15 for the spring-summer-time!
scubasaab said:
The c-900 with proper tires is one of the best cars I have ever driven in the snow. I have been behind the wheel in several 4x4 vehicles as well, but having a higher center of gravity doesn't exactly always help.
Best to have a matched set of tires on a car though!!:)
Let's all remember one thing... Once the physical limits of traction have been exceeded, you are in trouble (flipped SUVs anyone?), so SLOW down in slippery weather/poor visibility and increase following distances BIG TIME!!:cool:
Glad you had a safe and fun trip!

·
Registered
392 Posts
The c900 is amazing. When I first bought it I thought there was no way winter was going to be doable. I mean how high does it sit of off the pavement? I justified laying my worries to rest by saying that they deal with this kind of stuff in sweden all the time right? ;) I've got all season radials on mine right now and I just can not believe how hard it is to get into trouble with this car. Even when you do get into a "slide" it handles so predictably! The traction too! OMG I couldn't believe I was still able to go anywhere. SUV's trucks, subarus were all stuck spinnin the tires at a light and the little c900 just putz right past. I'm in aww. I goto school in Houghton Michigan (Michigan Technological University) which is right next to Marquette Mi, which is one of the snowest cities in the states. We get a lot of snow. I think we've already gotten 50 inches or so. It's always fun to play a game in the parking lot called "find the saab"

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ten inches over the last two days, another twenty plus arriving tomorrow. My saab is safely tucked away in the garage and I am driving my subaru. Grrr. I miss my saab, but I love her too much to put her through a vermont winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts