SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I had a strange scene this morning with my 900. While normal driving, the anti-lock and check engine lights come on and the revs drop to 0. Then a chirping noise started under the hood. I pulled the handbrake and the car alarm went off. I,ve had the car for 2 years and never heard the alarm before. I tried locking the doors but that didn,t shut it up so I ended up tearing out the alarm horn:confused:

It won,t turnover but the starter cranks...obviously still immobilized. I know NOTHING about alarms and immobilizers. Could this be a stock unit (1993)? The passenger side central locking has been acting up lately, maybe a connection. Is the fuel system immobilized? How would I remove the thing?

Any help would be appreciated,
Steve

·
4,637 Posts
Car alarms usually have a key switch to disable them. If that was part of the horn you ripped out, you're going to have to locate and repair the wiring that has been interrupted. If the horn has no keyswitch, there should be one on the control box which will be hidden, maybe under the rear seat (The ABS stuff is under there too though) or maybe in the centre console. If you have no key for that switch (it'll be that odd one on the keyring that you chucked away last year 'cos you never use it), you'll still have to locate and repair wiring.

Best place to look for wiring breaks is inside the fusebox, under the plate where the fuses go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cdaly, especially for the write-up on Alternator troubleshooting.

That,s what the problem was, a very loose alternator ground to engine wire...for anyone with funky electrics, intermittent dash lights and sudden stalling check this (and other) grounding points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts