SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ... so ... I finally got my new Saab! (2004 9-5 Aero) .... man its a gorgeous car! BUT ... I have a few questions ... hopefully one of you can help me with ...

I got the car from Carmax ... since Carmax doesn't really specialize in Saabs ... there were a lot of things they couldn't tell me ....

1. the car has xenon headlights ... last night while the car was parked outside I was reading over the owners manual. I can't get the highbeams to stay on ... the manual says to pull the lever forward (which is pretty standard) ... but it doesn't stay .. its the normal high beams on and when I let go ... they go back to low ... is this broken or does the car need to be in motion for that to work?

2. just to clarify ... there is only one bulb for the rear fog light? ... its looks like only the left one is working ... but the manual says there is only one so its not mistaken for brake lights ... and I reading that right?

3. beside the xenon bulb .. is a normal halogen bulb. But it doesn't look like that is burning at all? ... is it suppose to be on during low beams? or high beams? ... I have never had a car with xenon before ... and that extra bulb doesn't seem to be doing anything ...

4. the car didn't come with a cupholder in the middle console ... is that supposed to be standard? ... I believe Carmax will replace it .... but wasn't sure if that was an extra... or ifs supposed to be there .... the one on the dash isn't much of a cupholder.

5. I don't think the car has rain sensing wipers ... but how can I make certain? They didn't give me a list of factory features on the car ... and I couldn't tell using just the manual. The car has most everything on it ... and I just don't want miss out on any of the features.

6. The car has OnStar on it ... but OnStar doesn't support the car anylonger .... are there any after market uses for this feature? ...

7. Does anyone know how I can get a list of the factory features for this car? I checked online using just the VIN ...but didn't really find anything.

Thanks everyone ... I am taking pics of the car this evening ... I have ALWAYS loved these cars ... and am SO happy I was able to finally get one (even if it does mean working a few extra hours each week ... hahaha) ...

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
805 Posts
1. you probably had the light knob turned all the way to the left. i think that means its on for daytime running lights. therefore, pulling the lever forward will only be used as flash function. if you turn the knob to the right, your high beam will work when you pull the lever.

2. yes

3.halogen only works when you have DRL off and when you pull the lever. you can do that by pulling fuse 17

4. yes no cupholder on the console

5. if there is a square thing on your windshield behind your rear view mirror, you have rain sensing wipers

6. I have no idea on that

7. someone will find a link for that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
still not working

ok ... I turned the headlamp position from DLR to headlight position ... highbeams work (well ... xenon only) ... foglights work ... but still nothing out of those halogen lamps beside the xenon's ... I am attaching a pic if I can figure out how to attach a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
/Users/yoshiehaga/Desktop/headlight.JPG

ok ... I turned the headlamp position from DLR to headlight position ... highbeams work (well ... xenon only) ... foglights work ... but still nothing out of those halogen lamps beside the xenon's ... I am attaching a pic if I can figure out how to attach a pic...
i believe halogen and xenon cannot be turned at the same time. (some US regulations stuff?)
if you want to see if you can use the halogen, pull fuse 17, which is the DRL enabler. with the fuse out, you can turn on the halogen by pulling the lever

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
3. The halogens are just for "flash to pass" - when you have the HL switch off and pull the highbeam lever.

4. The center console cupholder is a lame little device that sits inside the console - pretty useless. It usually gets taken out and lost.

6. You can get the GPS signal out of the OnStar box and connect it to a laptop for a nav system - google "hacking onstar".

·
Registered
36 Posts
These were the same things I was wondering when I got mine!
The halogens only work to flash when the xenons aren't on, so you have to pull fuse 17 so the xenons will actually turn off, which is a good idea anyways since they're expensive.
The console cup holder is nice just so you have two, but you have to have the lid open which is a bit annoying, but you can fit a 12 oz can in it with the lid closed. I always just use the back seat cupholders, plus then it's right in front of the ac vents so it blows cold air on your drink.
The rain sensing wipers you move the lever up when there's water on the windshield to set it, then when that much water gets on it again it will wipe it off.
Did you get a manual with it? It has lots of information in it on what the car has. Otherwise search on here, there some threads about features 9-5's have and stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is a small orange running lamp in each headlamp. I'm not quite sure what the reason is for them - maybe someone can better explain. It's in the top outside corner. One was dead on my 9-5. If you're unsure whether it's working, you might want to run it by a dealership.

Does it have the parking assist? If so, I am 98 percent sure that means you have the automatic wipers.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on these 2004 specs, but I believe that the Visibility Package included Xenons (also available as a stand alone option), park assist, auto dimming exterior mirror and automatic windshield wipers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aha, I found my 2004 Saab USA press kit. Sorry, no scanner... but here are the details.

'04 Aero changes included
- new body kit
- new 17" wheels
- new "jewel-effect" front fog lights.
- Optional Sport Tech package
- New car customers got certificate for Saab Aero Academy

Aero started at $39,645 with a $675 destination. Options:

- Sentronic automatic w/paddle shifters $1,350
- Touring Package (rain-sensing wipers, rear park assist and auto0dimming exterior mirrors) $795
- Cold weather package (heated seats and headlight washers) $500. *** I do not believe this was actually an option for the Aero or Arc, though it is listed in the press kit. These were standard on all '04 Arcs and Aeros I've seen. I believe this option was listed by mistake... it was an option on '04 Linear wagons.
- Ventilated Sport seats $500
- Sport Tech interior package (granite grey sport seats w/black inserts, black door inserts and carbon fiber instrument panel fascia) $500
- Xenon headlights $500
- Mica/Metallic paint $500

OnStar is listed as standard on the Aero, $699 on the Arc.

And, just for kicks, the '04 Arc offered all of the same options and the following (which were standard on the Aero):

- Premium package (driver's seat memory, Harman/Kardon audio, auto dimming mirror with digital compass and garage door opener) $1,495
- 17" Sport Wheel package $750
- Ventilated seats (non-Sport seats) $995
- OnStar $699

The '04 Arc started at $34,430.

Changes included the 220hp/228lb-ft. 2.3 liter turbo (rear badging says 2.3T - not 2.3t as in 185hp variants) in place of the V6, painted sills and front spoiler, dark wood trim inside, optional (rather than standard) ventilated seats and a newly standard 5-speed manual (the previous V6 Arc offered only the automatic).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rain sensing

ok ... I am pretty sure that I don't have rain sensing wipers .... however I thought I would take a pic and ask the experts here ... There is an odd little piece behind the mirror though ... Thanks for everyone's responses to my questions! ... I have read the manual ... but you guys have answered a lot of questions I had! ... (pic attached below)

Has anyone installed the audiotroll for their ipod? ... Was thinking of getting one ... but I know NOTHING about technical things. So I would have to have someone install it ...

It AMAZES me .... thats there is pretty much nothing to do with the OnStar feature! It really doesn't upset me that much that is doesn't work ... but if I had bought this car new and paid extra for that ... I would be SOOO upset. I am REALLY HOPING they get hit HARD by a class action! (both OnStar and GM) ... You know they could at least offer a digital upgrade (at a price of course) ....

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't believe you have the rain sensing wipers. Do you have park assist? If so, you have the Touring Package (and thus rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirrors). See my earlier post about 2004 options.

Your headlamp photo attachment above is working for me now. It looks like the small orange lamp next to the Xenon main lamp is out. That's supposed to light up. It's in the main lamp assembly to the left (facing the car) in your photo. Hard to explain, let me see if I can find a photo of one that's on. And it looks like your cornering lamp/turn signal is also out, but it might just be the photo.

I'd run your car by the dealer to confirm all of this... I really don't know what the little bulbs do.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here's a photo with all of the lights illuminated (with the low beams on):

This should show you the small running lamps (or whatever). Look inside the main headlamp assembly, not the cornering lamp.

Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts