SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 1999 Saab 9-3 for almost 2 months now. It has 140k miles on it and runs like it has 40k. I have had no problems with it what so ever. Until 3 days ago. I came home from school to pick up some stuff, i went back out to my 9-3 and tried to start it. Nothing happened. It turned over but didn't start. I couldn't believe it, it was just working 5 minutes ago. I waited for my dad to get home to get his insight on the problem. He checked the obvious problems (spark plugs, battery, ect) He couldn't find any problems. He then proceed to check the car with a code scanner. The error codes P0001 and P0020 came back.
  • Code P0001 Fuel Volumne Regulator Control Circuit Open
  • Code P0020"B" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit
He concluded that something was wrong with the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) He tested it using a meter to find the ohms and said there was no problems with it. He rechecked the spark plugs and noticed they were dry, meaning no gas was reaching them. He predicted something was wrong with the fuel pump or filter. We will check it tomorrow, Its 11:30 at night and we need to go to sleep. If someone has any suggestions please share it will me. I will greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance!

I now see i made a mistake in my title, lol i meant 9-3

·
Registered
456 Posts
CPS is your best bet.

You can test your fuel pressure by priming your fuel pump a couple times, then on your fuel rail there is something like a tire stem, unscrew that and get a small screwdriver, push down and if fuel squirts out, your fuel system is fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CPS is your best bet.

You can test your fuel pressure by priming your fuel pump a couple times, then on your fuel rail there is something like a tire stem, unscrew that and get a small screwdriver, push down and if fuel squirts out, your fuel system is fine.
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm not very auto savvy, i know what the fuel rail is, but how do i prime the fuel pump? :confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I didn't check them. Im positive your spark plugs aren't the problem. The CPS went out without any warning signs in my 9-5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got one more thing to add. We sprayed gas into the cylinders though the spark plug holes. The 9-3 started up for about 5 seconds then stalled out. What is the situation here?? Doesn't the cps determine the engine cycle position?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If the origional fuel pump has 140-k miles, it's a good bet that's the problem. My car ran fine into the garage, then wouldn't start 10 minutes later. It was the fuel pump. The pump on these cars seems to run fine, then fail when restarted. There may be a bad spot on the commutator and unless the pump gets jiggled enough to move the armature slighly, it will never restart. Some have had luck striking the bottom of the plastic gas tank with a hammer. Personally, I would raise the rear seat, remove the plastic cover and strike the tank on top. It if starts, it's definately the fuel pump... Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts