SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving this 9-5 makes we want to cry as I throw money each month towards my 9-3. First and foremost, can anyone tell me why, oh why, Saab did not put the Harman-Kardon into the 9-3??? The stereo on the 9-5 is simply perfect, rich bass, no buzzes from the doors. Second, I just love the old school Saab interior in the 9-5. Window switches in the middle, orange needles, etc. Still no weather band though!!! Third, the suspension is about ten times softer. I am longer afraid of hitting bumps. Fourth and MOST IMPORTANT - no buzzes, rattles, shakes, noises, or chatter. The 9-5 simply feels so much more solid - like I am driving a luxury car. My 9-3 (which I love to drive) is nothing short of a chatter box - rattles in the C pillars, noises from the center console, and that damn damn damn damn buzzing in the door panels from the speakers (AND NO I CANNOT TAKE THE PANELS OFF - I CAN BARELY TELL YOU WHAT A SPARKPLUG LOOKS LIKE!!). However, bottom line is that driving the 9-5 is nowhere near as fun as the sporty feel of the 9-3. However, for an extra few bucks a month, I would rather have the piece of mind of the 9-5 I have now. Just a few thoughts. Such a shame that the little things (buzzes, rattles, etc) is how I think of my 9-3. Without them, I would keep it for five more years. However, with them, looking to sell in less than two.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about have a dealer do it - isn't that the whole idea of warranty? It is in the shop right now for that reason and I also gave them the threads on how to fix the buzzing...for the third time.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i'll take my rattles any day over a larger, softer car. i like the 9-5, but i like my 9-3 better. EVERY car will rattle. granted, some are worse than others, but as far as i'm concerned, my car has zero rattles when the music is on play (except for vibration rattles from the sub...but i can get over those :cheesy: ).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes, reading this thread makes me very glad I have a 9-3 and not a 9-5.

·
Registered
106 Posts
See, if you had a convertible 9-3, you could simply put the top back and let the wonderful sound of the wind drown out all the rattles. I do hear some disturbing sounds when I have the top up, but when I put it down, all is forgiven. I have a 95 Maxima and there are NO rattles in that car, even when it was 10 years old!

·
Registered
635 Posts
my dad has the 9-5 aero...that thing is a beast...if i had that...aftermarket audio would be so easy...but a 9-5 for a 21 year old is just weird imo. Its a little too luxury for me, i like the rougher sporty feel of the 9-3 (even though my dad's aero would walk me anyday)

the 9-3 is within my budget, and its a sporty car. i drove the acura tsx and tl. tsx was a bore...the TL felt like a car i would consider getting if i was 25+.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The price that I paid my AERO 93 with all options (exept lighter...:lol: ), I could choise a 9 5 for the same price...but I prefert the 93 for the road handling and sport sensation...May be the 95 will be my next car, if the plaform (frame) will be stiffer at this time...But I agree, the interior is so luxury!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
CHUCK85122 said:
The price that I paid my AERO 93 with all options (exept lighter...:lol: ), I could choise a 9 5 for the same price...but I prefert the 93 for the road handling and sport sensation...May be the 95 will be my next car, if the plaform (frame) will be stiffer at this time...But I agree, the interior is so luxury!
What's the deal with 9-5 having so many dummy buttons on the panel. Even a fully loaded 2005 9-5 with Onstar (takes up one button) and ESP another still leaves like 3 dummy buttons....what the hell are they for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
the three buttons are

1. Mother-in-Law ejector seat;

2. The Tony Blair liar switch (Setting 1: on, Setting 2: on);

3. George W Bush intelligence switch (Setting 1: doesn't work,
Setting 2: not connected.)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the 9-3 is within my budget, and its a sporty car. i drove the acura tsx and tl. tsx was a bore...the TL felt like a car i would consider getting if i was 25+.
i've always wanted to test drive the TL after it came out. it wasn't out when i bought my car so it wasn't even an option for me. i really liked them at first, but these days they're everywhere. 270 hp is quite tempting though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
ScoopSS said:
my dad has the 9-5 aero...that thing is a beast...if i had that...aftermarket audio would be so easy...but a 9-5 for a 21 year old is just weird imo. Its a little too luxury for me, i like the rougher sporty feel of the 9-3 (even though my dad's aero would walk me anyday)

I agree totally. I'm 21 as well, got my 9-3 at 19 :) Reality is I love the 9-5 as well, it's just a much well built car compared to the 9-3 but eh... 9-3 looks more appealing youth wise. The 9-5 is a lil too boxy for my tastes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with most of you that the 9-3 is a sharper, younger looking car - but at 30 I am starting to get over the looks only concept and now have really started to think about luxury, feel, long drives, reliability and peace as i drive to work in the morning - my 9-3 is not very peaceful with all the buzzing and rattling! Drives me crazy!!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
saabHOT said:

:cheesy: LOL!

When my '04 9-3SS Aero was still being prepped they gave me a brand new '04 9-5 Aero for one night. It definitely is softer and doesn't handle nearly as well. I was very happy when I got my car as it handled SO much better. About the only things I'm envious of in a 9-5 are the ventilated seats and good stereo. I think SAAB claiming a 13 speaker system is about as ludicrous as having an amplifier that goes all the way to 11 (Spinal Tap reference). More of something that's not that great is not always better. It's serviceable but definitely sub-par compared to what the cars SAAB tries to compete with offer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
9 3 vs. 9 5

In 1999 I had a 9 3 Sport SE company car which was truly awesome (225 bhp, 0-60 in 6.7, full leather etc). Made redundant as not an a***-licker.

Bought a 2001 MY 9 5 Aero estate 2.3 HOT (230 bhp, 0-60 in 6.5, full leather etc) in April this year. This is our 5th. Saab (9000S, 900 LPT, 9 3 Sport, 900 8v coupe previously).

THIS IS THE CAR - SPEED, STYLE, COMFORT, SOLID - every mile a real pleasure.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yeah, I definitely wasn't dissing the 9-5 Aero, just stating that for people for whom handling is a high priority, the 9-3 has it all over the current 9-5. The remodel this year I hear updates some of the suspension bits. I toyed with the idea of a 9-5 but couldn't bring myself to buy a model that truly is ready for a redesign. If I buy another SAAB it may very well be a 9-5.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I concur with the poster. I just had a 05 9-5 Aero for three days and I found it superior in every way to the 9-3 with the exception of the tight 9-3 suspension. The 9-5 was quiet, and the build quality was much better than the 9-3. Much better. The interior panels were made of higher quality materials, were fitted snugly and properly and had a higher quality feel to them. It also handled the embarassingly poor conditions of the california interstate freeway system better than the 9-3. If you live in CA, you understand how jarring those freeways can be. My wife commented on how much more solid a car the 9-5 was. I truly considered trading it in, but with the updated 9-5 coming out and the fact that I have a 0% interest loan on the 9-3, there isn't much chance of that.

·
Registered
867 Posts
saabHOT said:

Where can I get the number 1) option fitted ? :D:cheesy: and would it make a mess if I dont have a sunroof ? ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts