SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get up to NH to take advantage of the snow and get some skiing in... driving on the highway at 75mph I lose accelarating and power steering... the Battery icon and the Triangle icon appeared on the dash as well. So I pull off the next exit and get myself to a gas station to call for a tow. As I'm waiting for the tow, I pulled fuse #17 in hopes of resetting the engine... the car started, then died again with the same lights showing. Now I can't even turn it over :cry: I'm waiting for the tow truck to get here, using my phone to write this. For the last 2-3 months the engine has sounded like some old diesel engine (i.e. VERY loud), but after this happened it is whisper quiet again.

Has anyone had this happen to them before (driving fast, loosing acceleration/power steering, and losing all sound from the engine?). I'm having it towed back to my house, but am afraid to tow it to a Saab place tomorrow... I have this bad feeling that this will cost me a small fortune.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It probably will cost you a fortune.... :cry:

It sounds as if you've lost power, so possibly a problem with the alternator (though its apparently rare to go on saabs). It's a PITA to get out as its on the bottom of the engine close to the firewall.

I've had a similar experience with a non-saab car to the one you suffered. The steering and accelerator are completely electronic which would explain why they didnt work.
On another note, you did mention that you engine has sounded like an old diesel engine which is NEVER a good thing. If its been an overly metal on metal sound then you've potentially starved your engine of oil and its game over for that.... now that will cost you a fortune... Hope its the first. let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
My thoughts...for what its worth

driving on the highway at 75mph I lose accelarating and power steering... the Battery icon and the Triangle icon appeared on the dash as well.
Both Steering Pump and Alternator are belt driven - perhaps you just threw your belt?

I pulled fuse #17 in hopes of resetting the engine... the car started, then died again with the same lights showing.
Probably was ably to start with residual charge in the battery... any other symptoms at this moment?

Now I can't even turn it over :cry:
Can you be more specific about this? What happens with other electronics while you turn the key?

using my phone to write this
pretty awesome :jealous:

For the last 2-3 months the engine has sounded like some old diesel engine (i.e. VERY loud),
SCARY :eek:

but after this happened it is whisper quiet again.
Pulley failure then shredded belt?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, maybe it's just the belt. I can hope, no? Thanks to Xmas I'm not financially ready to get a new vehicle, so maybe I'll take my chances and get it to a local mechanic to change the belt and see if any success comes from that.

I appreciate the insights given here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Al's Red Wagon said:
Exactly what it turned out to be. The shop quoted $280 for parts and labor. I guess I'll just get it fixed and hope it lasts a bit longer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has anyone changed the drive belt themselves? Is it a difficult job? Jay

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
Good call Al ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for that great link, Jay.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The v6 drive belt does not include the timing belt. There are two belts and they are completely different. The timing belt only deals with engine timing (cams and crank), and the drive belt only powers the engine ancillaries (off the crank pulley). One is inside the timing cover, the other outside ;)

The drive belt swap should be the same on both cars, with the exception of removing the side motor mount on the 4 cylinder (not sure if the v6 has a similar mount, but i assume it does).

For a novice, doing the belt is actually pretty easy job. Should take about an hour for the novice DIY'er I would guess. Just make sure you put the new belt on the same way the old one came off.

·
Registered
576 Posts
pinion247 said:
Exactly what it turned out to be. The shop quoted $280 for parts and labor. I guess I'll just get it fixed and hope it lasts a bit longer.
If the idler pulleys were not replaced, do so, or it will just happen again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.