SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought all models 89 and up had direct ignition? Is this not true?

The VIN says it is an 89 for sure.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Pretty sure an '89 will have LH 2.2.4 fuel injection like the C900's have...

Also sure I've got a spare Bosch ECU for you if needed...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure an '89 will have LH 2.2.4 fuel injection like the C900's have...

Also sure I've got a spare Bosch ECU for you if needed...
I guess I fundamentally dont understand what either of these are, would you mind explaining what LH 2.2.4 fuel injection means?

Also why would I need a bosch ecu? is there a common problem I don't know about?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I guess I fundamentally dont understand what either of these are, would you mind explaining what LH 2.2.4 fuel injection means?

Also why would I need a bosch ecu? is there a common problem I don't know about?
Oh my...

http://townsendimports.com/Web/entry/tech_doc_systems.htm
(specifically read up the files under Engine systems EZK and under "Turbo and APC")
Your timing and fuel management are more akin to the latter C900's (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

http://jope.fi/saab/www.quasimotors.com/repairs.htm

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
And then tell us more about your '89.

You didn't give much to go on...
Model? turbo/non-turbo? manual/automatic?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

That's it boys - the jig is up. He obviously knows that we've been keeping him in the dark about Bosch ECU's.

Sorry couldn't help it.

Alright:

The LH 2.2 (and LH 2.4) are just two - there are many variations - of a fuel injection management system developed by the Robert Bosch company and marketed under the trade name Jetronic.

And in simple terms, a DIC is the main component in Saab's version of a direct ignition system (i.e one in which each spark plug has it's own dedicated ignition coil). The direct ignition design eliminates the need for a distributor or plug wires.
But unlike most other direct ignition systems, with Saab's DIC, all the coils are packaged into a single "cassette". To install it, the cassette is placed directly over the spark plugs it is then pressed down on to all the plugs in one step.

The Jetronic injection and DIC systems were originally mutually exclusive. Each required it's own control module. The module that Mr. Banman was referring to would be the module used with the Jetronic 2.2 fuel system.

This split design - with two modules - became obsolete with the introduction of Saab's Trionic engine management system. The Trionic system - in addition to controlling duration of fuel injection (hence the amount of fuel delivered to the engine) - also utilizes the DIC design to precisely control timing by detecting ignition knock in each individual cylinder. It also controls boost pressure.

So, the bottom line is essentially this ...if you have a distributor and plug wires, you don't have a direct ignition system (or a DIC).

And, since you have an 89 - and the Trionic 5 system wasn't fully implemented till about 93-94...you have one of the Jetronic fuel injection systems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And then tell us more about your '89.

You didn't give much to go on...
Model? turbo/non-turbo? manual/automatic?
It is the five speed turbo. I appreciate all of you humoring my ignorance!

I don't think I have any problems with the current distributor system, I'll be able to know for sure when I get it put back together and try to start it up. Currently the cylinder head is getting resurfaced by a local machine shop, and I am going to be replacing the hydraulic mounts and old mangled bushings with solid rubbber replacements for the hydraulic, and poly for the bushings.

It'll be cool if i can put everything back in the right place, I have a few pictures, but it'll be a challenge to remember what goes where. (Should have grouped and labeled everything)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Suggest Sober second thoughts on replacing the OEM style mounts with PolyU. OEM Rubber ones simply work better .. as the short explanation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts