SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering this cheap exhaust mod for a while now. I basically cut off the center muffler (resonator) and put in a straight pipe.

I went to Canadian tire and picked up a 2.5" pipe 18" long and two clamps ($15). I then removed the center exhaust section and put on the work table. I cut close to the weld as possible, this made the removed section 16 1/2". Leaving me with about 3/4" overlap on new pipe per side. I put on the new pipe and clamped it up nice a tight. I then put exhaust section back under car to test the fit. I then cleaned the new section from dirt and grease and sprayed it with a few coats of BBQ paint (high heat) I had sitting around. I then bolted it back on.

Moment of truth as there was no turning back. Turn on the car. She sounds a LOT sportier.:p Has louder, low, deep, tone at idle but nothing annoying loud. Took it for a drive and made me smile. I love it. And the great thing is it's nothing annoying on the highway (you can hardly hear it). :D

I wish I would have done this years ago. Maybe I'll get a proper exhaust when this one rusts off but for $15....sounds good to me. Hope this helps a few people on a budget exhaust.

Pics below are of inside of resonator and the straight pipe on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
So does the straight pipe go to the back of the car? Or is it just dumping after the resonator?

Looks like fun. :)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still using the stock muffler. I forgot to mention....

·
Registered
106 Posts
yeah the stock resator is the only muffler i am using right now (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51485) and it sounds nice, but it seems to getting lounder and lounder, and i dont really like that much attention.... so i might be sticking the Saab Sport back on.
But very nice, i dont think i have herd of anyone doing this before.
Ice Man said:
Moment of truth as there was no turning back.
Yeah one thing i have learned that if you want to do something, but you think about it too much, then it will proably turn out the same, but just take twice as long.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Viggen owners might try using a piece of pipe instead of either the muffler or resonator. However, there won't be any power gain on the Viggen because both the stock muffler and resonator are straight-through designs. :confused:

Honestly, if I had a 900 SET I'd have a pipe and exhaust tip put in the place of the stock muffer and just use the resonator only. The catalysts and resonator muffler more than you'd expect. But then ... I like loud exhausts. :D

Still ... a more agressive sound is just a piece of stainless pipe away. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts