SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, I absolutely adore this car. It's fast, comfortable, quiet and really cool inside. I have dumped a lot of money into it in the past month, including a new used turbo (it Just blew up, confirmed.) and a lot of other stuff. I can't afford to dump anymore money in it after the new used turbo blew. It's my fault for ordering the new used turbo, but in all actuality i couldn't afford a new one, because I'm retired on a fixed income.

Long story short I'm hoping someone will either send me a good, tested turbo (unlikely, it's a rare part) so I can pay the shop to put it in, or someone will buy it for a low price of 500 from me, or someone will trade it for a car that's reliable.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I have a spare Mitsubishi TD04 from a 9-5 that is in good condition, contact me off list and we can probably work a deal. I also might be interested in the car depending on where you are. But that's not the heart of the issue.

The Mitsubishi is a reasonably robust turbo. The one IN my Aero has ~170K on it and it runs fine. (I picked up the spare at a junk yard on one of my many trips there). Blowing two is exceeding rare unless there is something else wrong with the car. And if you put another in you are likely to get the same result.

Do you have n idea of what "blew"?
  • Is it getting proper lubrication or is there some kind of blockage on the oil feed? (will show up as bearing failures and damage to the turbine spindle)
  • Is it getting proper coolant flow? (same as above)
  • Is the system somehow over pressurizing the turbo to the point of doing damage to it? (cracked compressor housing? Blown compressor housing seals?)
  • Is the engine running too hot (likely lean) (doing damage to the exhaust housing/impeller)
I'd not just replace it before I figured these things out. What were the symptoms of how the car was running before the turbo "blew"?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I have a spare Mitsubishi TD04 from a 9-5 that is in good condition, contact me off list and we can probably work a deal. I also might be interested in the car depending on where you are. But that's not the heart of the issue.

The Mitsubishi is a reasonably robust turbo. The one IN my Aero has ~170K on it and it runs fine. (I picked up the spare at a junk yard on one of my many trips there). Blowing two is exceeding rare unless there is something else wrong with the car. And if you put another in you are likely to get the same result.

Do you have n idea of what "blew"?
  • Is it getting proper lubrication or is there some kind of blockage on the oil feed? (will show up as bearing failures and damage to the turbine spindle)
  • Is it getting proper coolant flow? (same as above)
  • Is the system somehow over pressurizing the turbo to the point of doing damage to it? (cracked compressor housing? Blown compressor housing seals?)
  • Is the engine running too hot (likely lean) (doing damage to the exhaust housing/impeller)
I'd not just replace it before I figured these things out. What were the symptoms of how the car was running before the turbo "blew"?
+1 to this. I know a few local guys with 9-5s, all with the original TD-04, and mine has the lowest mileage at 140K. There's a guy with 200,000 miles on his original. They do seem to last seemingly forever unless some other problem is grenading them, as Uncle said.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I ordered one that was not from an aero, creating too much pressure. it also had a bit of play before it was installed. Also, my ecm is tuned stage 2.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I believe I ordered one that was not from an aero, creating too much pressure. it also had a bit of play before it was installed. Also, my ecm is tuned stage 2.
Ah, we're learning more. the stage 2 tune is putting more stress on the turbo for sure. But the Mitsubishi should take it

If you ordered a non-Aero that would be the Garrett GT1752 and if you turn that up too high it will break. the ECM is trying to get it to put out more boost, which it can't, and thus is pushing it. Bad idea!

Plus that turbo is less robust and wears out. If it had a "bit of play" it was likely already gone and they go fast from that point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts