SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New to the forum, but when I did a search, I didn't seem to find anybody who was having my exact problems.

I have the 2001 9-5 with the V6 Turbo

Today, about 1/2 miles down our long driveway, my triangle warning light came on with a chime and so did my ABS light, gas light, and battery light. Also, my airbag light came on briefly and went off and on again a couple times. I put the car in park and turned off the engine and got out. After calling into work, I decided to try starting the car again and it wouldn't start. So I walked back and got the tractor to tow it back to the house. I tried starting the car again, and it worked! I turned it around to get it facing the house, and all of the warning lights came on again, so I turned off the engine. I towed it back to the house, and now the engine wont start at all. The starter keeps clicking, but the engine isn't budging.

Not sure if any of this is related, but I figure I should mention everything:

• My check engine light has been on for a many months, but the car has run smoothly until now
  • My TCS OFF light has been on for a while and I can't seem to turn TCS on
  • Cruise control hasn't worked for the same amount of time that TCS hasn't
  • I changed the oil myself a few weeks ago
  • my sport mode and winter mode indicators only work if my headlights are off and/or "night panel mode" is enabled. It's been like that since I got the car.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Very similar symptoms on my '99 V6 turned out to be a bad alternator and a fully depleted battery.

Squeezed in a Cadillac Catrea alt and had a battery shop put deep charge on the battery. The free 1 hour charge at the local parts house only put a weak surface charge, not enough to even pass their load test but the battery was so new I was willing to try the deep charge before buying a new one.

Good alt, fully charged battery and the 9-5 has been good to go.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Definitely something with the electrical system. Check both battery cables. Check the voltage at the battery when the car is off and when the engine is running to see if those are correct (around 12V and 14.5V respectively). don't think it has anything to do with the other lights that have been on for a while - you probably need to look at those one by one by reading the codes.

the clicking starter also is indicative of a shot battery, or a bad wire connection somewhere with the battery positive or ground. Get a meter and do the checks indicated above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts