SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

03 9-3 2.0t Linear 150K+ mi

While removing my oil pan, I found new problems.

1. Cracked engine mounts, replacement and engine centering

While performing another job, I've noticed a significant play or movements, fairly large bolt hole sizes on uppers, and vertical movements for lower mounts when removing and reinstalling old ones. So far with other cars I've worked on, engine mount bolt holes were just set without any tolerance.

I'm planning on replacing all four engine mounts and WIS mentions engine centering tool which obviously I don't have. I could certainly bolt on new mounts and call it a day, but what I'm concerned is that without this tool, there might be premature wear on eng mount bushings or other components such as axle seals, like relieving stress when torquing down on the control arms bolts. Is there a spec sheet or a dimensional drawing that shows relative distances from say the subframe or some other components?

2. Found a small broken plastic piece, likely a timing or balance shaft component

If feasible, I'd also like to replace all timing and balance chain components as preventative measures. Can these be done with engine in the car?

Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well, i guess its too late, but before removing the top engine mounts you should've marked the location of the mount relative to the bracket, it should be fine though unless u experienced vibration then you will have to try to get the mounts as close as possible to the original location, my advise is to install the lower one first and they will help center the engine themselves.
second, timing and balance components are replaceable with the engine in, just make sure you get the correct timing tool for your motor/year.
the plastic part you found looks like the balance chain tensioner bracket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, found quiet few timing jobs for ecotec engines on YouTube, including 9-3 specific. Should've searched before posting.

But, do we really need the timing tool if replacing the chains as well? Seems there are two ways of working on the timing, with or without the tool depending on type of repair, according to videos. Well, better have then sorry obviously, so I'll look into it.

As for mount reinstallion, my engine is so dirty that it left clear mark where the bolts go. I usually mark things, but caught me unexpectedly this time.

Thanks Hus_sho!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Tell u the truth i work without the timing tool, cause there Are 4 versions of it..
but it is unsafe for someone who never did a timing job on this engine to do so.
if the chains are not worn out, leave them alone and then u can get away without the timing tool if u use good sense .

by the way, which video u found for the 93 timing job ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a DIY-er, I don't trust myself much, so I'll definitely take heed on your advice on the tool. I got bunch of questions but will hold and do more digging and researching on parts, tools, and how-to's first.

Meantime, Saab specific video on Tube.

There are others on ecotec engines if you search "saab 93 timing."

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
That's the guy above you's youtube channel. ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
Hus, questions....

4:29. What are you red marking in relation to?
4:51 What is the timing mark in relation to?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
4:29 the rear side of the pulley has a groove, i just marked the front side at the same location so i can have reference from the front rather than jumping up and down.
4:51 the groove at the crank pulley will have to be aligned to a matching ridge located at the timing cover at 10 o'clock

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy motha, small world, hahaha! It's an honor Hus_sho!

I'm pretty much up-to-date on all 9-3 related vids on the Tube. Was leak-proofing my top & leftside of my 93 at the time of your release, and was hoping I'd never get to all that. Inevitably, I'm here dealing with all leaks on my bottom & rightside which has become very costly recently with 0.5 - 1.0 qt/mo of oil leaks. Still working on full understanding of Saab timing before attacking. With all the horror stories I've read so far, guess it's not as no-brainer as say, Honda & Lexus timing belts!?!?!?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts