SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 saab 9-3 manual 2.0L
Here is the symptom. I am driving allong on the highway constant speed (70 mph) and suddenly no power no response. Gages sill work (turbo drops to 0) lights stay on, just like someone turned the engine off. 3 seconds later the engine fires up and drives like nothing happened. It was one time, then every six months, now its been twice this week. I do most of my driving on the highway (so I am not postitive it would only happen on the highway). I took the code to get read P0900, multiple cylinder misfire.
Any help?
Thanks,

Luke

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central.

Assuming you mean P0300, which is multiple random misfire, the most common cause of that is the direct ignition module slowly going bad. They fail in two ways. Either suddenly and completely, at any speed, and often with the smell of burning electrical insulation, or intermittently, with a CEL, misfire codes, turning into a flashing CEL and engine running poorly.

If you have the red ignition module, it will have a date code on the underside, on a label.

Usually they do not last much over 100K miles, my first one actually failed under warranty, at around 30-40K. Note that under some conditions, old plugs can give the same symptom, fault code.

Ignition Module Replacement

If you have the black ignition module, the story is a little more complicated, some are under an extended warranty/recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have guessed it was a coil pack or distributor issue, but I figured with 4 separate coils they wouldn’t all fail at once. But now that I look at it as an assembly - it makes sense. I have the red pack. My plugs have 20,000 miles on them. The ignition module has 125000 miles on it.
Any recommedation or test to ensure I am replacing the correct part (they are not giving those things away anywhere). Or any recommedations on a good place to get one?

Thanks for your time.

Luke Georgian

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You could look at the plugs, or just replace them... $8-10 for a set is cheap enough.

There is a procedure for testing the ignition module, but only if it has failed completely. If it is still firing, it will not tell you much.

eEuroparts.com, or you can sometimes find them on ebay. That is where I bought mine, open-box but new, about 2/3 new price.

At 125K, my car was on its third one... :cheesy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts