SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what is probally a silly question, as some of you may know I have a glass pack on my car and it is way the hell too loud. My wife agrees and is willing to buy me a new muffler for christmas, but I have no clue what to get. I want throughty but not loud, I don't mind people being able to tell I have a tuned car but the glass pack is ridiculas. I don't want her to spend more than about $75 on it because we are having an out of money experiance at the moment. What do you guys think, I have 2.5 inch tubing.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
A long magnaflow muffler should sound sporty in a non intrusive way

·
Registered
133 Posts
i put a magnaflow muffler on my car and from experience i think the car sounds better without it at all. i just dont have the rear muffler on anymore and its working pretty well for me

·
Registered
386 Posts
magnaflow and glass pack cherry bombs sound the same on a 4 banger.

if you still have the oem muffler, put that back on with a nice chrome tip of course, and just delete the resonator. that should give you the nice not too ricey sound you are looking for. but then again, I Dont love the ramones!:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Corn Cob: What do you have on now. No cat? Just a straight-through 2.5" pipe to a single Glass pack?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a GS version 2 downpipe and it has a cat, then it necks down to 2.5 in tubing with a cherry bomb that is probally about 20 inches long. The cherry bomb and the 4 inches after are back up to 3 inch.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
When I did the wrap I stopped at the cat. I wish I could get a saab sport, but I think a less loud muffler will make me happy enough.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
borla sound nice as well, but that is well outside the 75$ limit

·
Registered
917 Posts
Saabrunner05 said:
if you still have the oem muffler, put that back on with a nice chrome tip of course, and just delete the resonator. that should give you the nice not too ricey sound you are looking for. but then again, I Dont love the ramones!:cheesy:
That's what I'm doing next week, hopefully the results are as good as I've heard. :)

Still debating whether or not to make a before/after vid....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Don't have a cheap option ;oops: Apart from a second glass pack half way - that's virtually what I have with the JT system. The back one is much larger than a cherry bomb though. Magnaflow aren't cheap. Maybe wait a while and buy a complete cat-back system.

Standard rear box goes down to just about 2" I.D. and has baffles. Not something I'd do with 3" downpipe for performance - although I'm happy to be enlightened that it doesn't hurt performance :confused:

EDIT: Oops! ....and greyhounds too :) 220173712084

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked on ebay and this store is selling new magnaflow mufflers for between 50ish to 70ish plus free shiping. I saw one that the core is 18 inches long with a height of 4in. and a width of 9in. that one was $62. That would probally make it quit enough but still sporty if you lay down the hammer. Do you need offset entrance and exit pipes for it to exit out of the bumper the right way?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my glasspack is a sheep spanker(thats what I call hicks) fart can.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Corn Cob said:
When I did the wrap I stopped at the cat. I wish I could get a saab sport, but I think a less loud muffler will make me happy enough.

Yeah, I didn't even get close to the downpipe, One of the exhaust tubes on the manifold is still un wrapped....

I'm ordering more soon.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I ordered a magnaflow with an 18 inch core, body is 4x9. I ordered one with a centered tip and an offset tip I hope that is what I need, noone answered for me. I think that is what I need to clear the hole in the bumper.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well I took out the resonator today and had a straight pipe welded in...definitely not as much of an improvement as I was hoping for. Spool up is louder and seems to come on a little faster, and my BOV is louder as well, but the exhaust note is only a wee bit louder. :(

·
Registered
771 Posts
mfyoung said:
i've always been partial to borla's

have you check your craigslist local ads?

you can usually find a flowmaster of magnaflow for cheap on there let me look for ya
yeah i just look there more than acouple fishing aroind on there for 50 bucks, some for 80, but i suspect you could haggle that down

1 - 20 of 35 Posts