SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of replacement intervals are experienced, for a somewhat moderate and wet climate, for the muffler.

I think my muffler is getting old.

Arnie

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Replace it when it's broken. There are no real intervals where it needs to be changed... they could theoretically last forever, or only a few months, depending on conditions.

If your muffler is broken, the dealership will want an arm and a leg for a new one. Now is a good time to get an aftermarket catback, or have an exhaust shop weld on a new muffler for you instead. Both options should be much cheaper and better than replacing stock with stock.

Alternatively you can probably get a muffler off of a 9-5 at a scrapyard for very cheap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stipud said:
Replace it when it's broken. There are no real intervals where it needs to be changed... they could theoretically last forever, or only a few months, depending on conditions.

If your muffler is broken, the dealership will want an arm and a leg for a new one. Now is a good time to get an aftermarket catback, or have an exhaust shop weld on a new muffler for you instead. Both options should be much cheaper and better than replacing stock with stock.

Alternatively you can probably get a muffler off of a 9-5 at a scrapyard for very cheap.
For catbacks I'm looking at Ferrita (dual tip stainless), BSR (also stainless) both 2,5" diam versus Abott stainless 3" diam. What is the best way to go? Abott or one of the others. I heard that the Abott is rather loud and sporty in sound, which I'm not looking for.

Arnie

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Any of the 2.5" catbacks will be fine. There is actually little gain to be had between a 2.5" and 3" catback. A 3" downpipe will make a big difference, though I haven't heard of a 2.5" downpipe.

I have the BSR exhaust, made by Simons. It's very quiet, but has a nice deep tone. I hear the Ferrita also sounds great with a very similar tone, maybe a tiny bit louder. Not sure if there's any gain to the dual tips... personally I would save the money and get the single tip, because dual is usually for V engines, it doesn't really make sense on an inline 4 cylinder.

I haven't heard an Abbott but I have heard that they are noisy. If you want a stealthier exhaust then I definitely recommend one of the others.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When the exhaust starts blowing or is about to drop off is the time to replace.

The rear outer casings of the exhaust rust through pretty quickly - this does not effect performance.

However - if you are looking for a new 'shiny' exhaust and need the 'green' light from the wife, show her the rear box section and all the rust and you'll be purchasing in no time:lol:
p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts