SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pipe replaced Saturday to corrected an exhaust leak. Well, that fix the leak, but now the car sounds a little too loud. Any tweaks or tips on how to quite it down a little?? I like being in stealth mode:cool: not waking up the hood.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you sure your muffler isn't rusted out or doesn't have a hole in it somewhere?

Had the pipe replaced Saturday to corrected an exhaust leak. Well, that fix the leak, but now the car sounds a little too loud. Any tweaks or tips on how to quite it down a little?? I like being in stealth mode:cool: not waking up the hood.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure your muffler isn't rusted out or doesn't have a hole in it somewhere?

Good point rabraker.

As bad as I hate to admit, there is NO muffler and I didn't realize it when I started the thread. It dawned on me yesterday when my wife reminded me that I chose not to have one added back when I was having the pipe replaced. I was so involved in getting the exhaust leak fixed (my wife and daughter were getting headaches from the fumes) and the guy at the muffler shop didn't bother to ask me.

Now it makes me wonder if I am causing any harm to the turbo. Do I need to get a muffler...ASAP, or can it wait till the weekend? I driving the car daily now.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I don't think you're going to hurt anything as long as there is some pipe after the turbo...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Turbos like the least resistance possible. No muffler makes the most noise, but the turbo likes it best that way. When you do finally install a muffler (no rush) make sure you get one that is a straight through design. Avoid flowmaster or other chambered mufflers. Straight through will provide the best performance and economy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good point rabraker.

(my wife and daughter were getting headaches from the fumes) a.
Hi, don't want to hijack your thread, I have a distinct smell of petrol fumes in my 1993 convertible, mstly after I fill the tank up, did you diagnose the muffler / pipe as the culprit yourself?

cheers

jeff

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would suspect a crack in the top/upper part of your petrol/gas tank, jeffnewton; the exhaust has a somewhat different odour, unless you've a large amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust.

The giveaway is
mostly after I fill the tank up
A muffler leak wouldn't do that (although some bizarre combination of extra weight and pipe flexing might prove me wrong).

I've talked with people who've successfully used a plastic weld/tank repair goo, rather like an epoxy but flexible, on tank cracks.

Look under the boot/trunk carpeted floor and check the top of the tank when you fill it next (remove the floor before you fill, and fill with the boot/trunk lid open) There are several places you could have a leak: around the filler pipe-tank connection, around the pump-gauge connection, or in the tank itself somewhere. Look for the wet spot :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Turbos like the least resistance possible. No muffler makes the most noise, but the turbo likes it best that way. When you do finally install a muffler (no rush) make sure you get one that is a straight through design. Avoid flowmaster or other chambered mufflers. Straight through will provide the best performance and economy.

Good luck!

Thanks for that tip (straight through design) turbofan!! I went to a parts house at lunch toady and they showed me a diagram of a muffler with inlet in the middle and outlet (on the other end) was to the side (or vice versa)....so I take it by your reply, that is not the one I should purchase...right? Inlet and outlet should be directly across from one another.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, don't want to hijack your thread, I have a distinct smell of petrol fumes in my 1993 convertible, mstly after I fill the tank up, did you diagnose the muffler / pipe as the culprit yourself?

cheers

jeff
I actually crawled under the car and wiggled my way from the front to the back to see if I could figure out where the leak was. After looking at some of the shotty work that someone had done.......cut here, cut there, a weld here and there, I decided to have it all removed and a fresh solid piece hung. That fixed the problem. My wife instanly noticed a difference. She has a bloodhounds nose......she can smell a beer a mile away:cheesy:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Good luck!

I thought all mufflers had chambers:suprised;

·
Registered
245 Posts
A straight thru is basically a perforated pipe wrapped in fibreglass, like insulation, inside a steel outer shell. You can see 'straight thru' it! Hence its name....

Not sure if they're the best solution (just straight pipe after the cat - which should also be high flow - might be the best and not too loud)

Here's a link to one vendor of Thrush Glasspack straight thru mufflers - affordable too. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Dynomax-...uffler.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=49&t_pt=3362&t_pl=1175

I've run one on my 900 turbo with no ill effects and quite a nice exhaust tone. They are reasonably quiet with a turbo (quite noisy on my TR4 n/a!) Likely a 2 1/2 or 3 inch dia muffler would be a good size, but I'm sure there are others with more experience who can advise accurately.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been pondering here..........could I just go with your basic muffler (which is what was on it originally on it from the factory...right?)

How much of an increase in power? What percentage have you experienced with the straight muffler vs. the chambered?

·
Registered
569 Posts
as for the muffler, there are some magnaflows available on summitracing.com and also ebay that work really well.

just because the inlets and outlets are offset doesn't mean it's not considered "straight through." Let me explain:

This is what the inside of a bullet-type or resonator type muffler would look like--just as described above. it's a perforated tube with fiberglass packing around it.

Here's an example of chambered-type mufflers with deflector plates and stuff. This is what Flowmasters have inside.

Here's an example of a muffler that is still considered the straight through type since there are no obstructions to the path of flow... but if you look into one end, you won't be able to see out the other end! the inlet and outlet are offset, but it's still a straight-through style muffler.

Try one of those straight-through mufflers. if you don't need it too much quieter, you can try a dynomax ultraflow bullet muffler, something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17223/ that'll take the edge off the sound but still leave it plenty throaty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Been pondering here..........could I just go with your basic muffler (which is what was on it originally on it from the factory...right?)

How much of an increase in power? What percentage have you experienced with the straight muffler vs. the chambered?
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8819708A

Description: Exhaust System Kit for any 84-93 900 Turbo. Includes intermediate pipe, muffler, tailpipe, clamps, hangers, bolts, nuts, washers, cat-int. pipe gasket. Saab quality Starla/Walker(made in Sweden).

Price: $159.90

Zoom in

·
Registered
569 Posts
you could put a standard muffler back on it, it won't hurt anything. what size piping did you have installed?

are you going for a throatier than stock sound with better performance, or are you happy with the way it was stock?

i haven't played with saab exhausts for a long time, and back when I did I was just trying to keep it from falling off the car, not worrying much about performance! But in my experience with my turbocharged PT cruiser I definitely noticed a significant difference when I ditched the stock muffler and went with a straight through design with bigger piping. Then again, I had a tuner on the car and was running 19 PSI boost :cheesy:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you could put a standard muffler back on it, it won't hurt anything. what size piping did you have installed?

are you going for a throatier than stock sound with better performance, or are you happy with the way it was stock?

i haven't played with saab exhausts for a long time, and back when I did I was just trying to keep it from falling off the car, not worrying much about performance! But in my experience with my turbocharged PT cruiser I definitely noticed a significant difference when I ditched the stock muffler and went with a straight through design with bigger piping. Then again, I had a tuner on the car and was running 19 PSI boost :cheesy:
Rellay didn't get to experience the stock sound or performance. Previous owner had like a "cherry bomb" or something installed and it was leaking so I had all that removed and installed just a straight pipe......2 1/4...I think. I'm not dead set on going back stock. If I can get better performance and scarfice a liilte noise, then I'm up for it. What about the $20 muffler that a member posted a link on. Would that be a good one?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
**UPDATE**

Got the straight pipe installed today that you all recommended and all I can say is WOW!! What a difference it made. Just what I was looking for.:cool:

Thanks to all for the suggestions and recommendations!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts