SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, read a bit on guards.
I'm just wondering why there are no factory fitted mub guards for the later 2007 9-3 Sport Sedans.

I was told the factory had rears for earlier 07 9-3s.

Is there an aftermarket set that will work? I'm thinking the snow and salt is on its way.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I don't know if they fit the US 9-3. Most Saab owners frown on mudflaps, though I had them on our 2001 9-3.

I'm not putting them on our 2007 9-3. Would be good if you lived on a dirt road though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm just wondering why there are no factory fitted mub guards for the later 2007 9-3 Sport Sedans.
Because, they are butt ugly and mess up the beautiful lines of the car. :cheesy:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the alternative is to have paint missing from the four corners of the car?

Any vehicle that I have owned without the protection of mud guards showed wear in these spots.
Living in an area of the world that has plenty of snow and ice storms means plenty of salted down sand, and not so finely ground sand at that.

yes I agree that some mud guards are plain ole ugly, but it sure beats the heck out of body parts that appear to have been sandblasted.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Guards are available for both front and rear for 2007. Saab does not list them, but they are still made and fit just fine on both the SS and Sportcombi.

However, they only fit for the 2.0T. There are no guards available for the Aero b/c the Aero trim on the rocker panels and rear bumper are different.

THe part numbers you need to order are:

Front Mudflap Kit: 12786784
Rear Mudflap Kit: 12786785

They are about $35 each.

As for ruining the lines of the car, I think they look pretty good on these cars. I'd rather disrupt the lines of the car a little, than have the rocker panels and bumper bombarded with road tar and rocks....especially with the 17" wheels b/c they stick out so far on each side.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the input.
I do want to get the mud guards. A few other little things for the car as well.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
monsaab said:
So the alternative is to have paint missing from the four corners of the car?
Another alternative to mud guards is to get the clear paint protection. Hardly noticeable but still very effective in protecting the paint. There are lots of brands but the product that is on the front of my car is X-pel. You can buy it in sheets on the website and cut it to size.

·
Registered
759 Posts
sptsdn said:
Another alternative to mud guards is to get the clear paint protection. Hardly noticeable but still very effective in protecting the paint. There are lots of brands but the product that is on the front of my car is X-pel. You can buy it in sheets on the website and cut it to size.
Did you use this on the hood/bumper/headlights? How has it held up??

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Nickshu said:
Did you use this on the hood/bumper/headlights? How has it held up??
Yes, and so far so good although it's only been a couple of months so I don't think I would qualify as a long-time customer. My brother has had it on his cars for a couple of years now with no issues what-so-ever. Some people claim that the film begins to yellow after a few years but I've never seen an example of it - plus I'm sure it depends on your climate and whether your car is stored inside or out. Even if it does begin to yellow after a few years, it can be removed and new film applied - beats all the pitting and chips if you ask me.

It is expensive (~$400-600 depending on the car and installer) but I plan on keeping the car for a while so for me, it is a good investment. I had it installed on our VW Passat because it is the car we take on trips; my Saab is pretty much an in-town car with very little freeway-speed driving so I didn't feel it was worth the $500 (the Passat was only $400 because the kit is easier to install on the Passat). Plus I bought my 9-3 second-hand so it had a few chips already; if I were to buy a new one, I would install it in a heartbeat.

I've meaning to buy a couple of sheets so I can install it behind the wheels and on the top side of the rear bumper to protect it from scratches and such.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nickshu said:
Guards are available for both front and rear for 2007. Saab does not list them, but they are still made and fit just fine on both the SS and Sportcombi.

However, they only fit for the 2.0T. There are no guards available for the Aero b/c the Aero trim on the rocker panels and rear bumper are different.

THe part numbers you need to order are:

Front Mudflap Kit: 12786784
Rear Mudflap Kit: 12786785

They are about $35 each.

As for ruining the lines of the car, I think they look pretty good on these cars. I'd rather disrupt the lines of the car a little, than have the rocker panels and bumper bombarded with road tar and rocks....especially with the 17" wheels b/c they stick out so far on each side.
Thank you.

Does the 2007 9-3 have the same rocker trim preventing the guards to be attached?
I really don't see much room.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes they will fit on a 2007 2.0T sedan and sportcombi.
I just installed them on my 2007 about 2 months ago, no problem. I was able to install the fronts without removing the wheels (just turned the wheel all the way to one side), but on the rear I had to remove the wheels.

You'll have to drill a couple holes in the inner fender plastic liner...the instructions came with each kit. The kit also includes all the hardware needed (screws and nuts). Took about 1 hour to install all 4 mudflaps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts