SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just woundering if they make msd ignition (wires ect.) for a 88 900 and if so where to find one

thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
IMHO don't waste your money.... the saab factory ignition is superb, get yourself a Bosch Cap and Rotor, NGK Plugs, and Bougicord Plug Wires, and you're set, the stock ignition can handle up to 35 psi of boost, many of us here run 20+ psi of boost with a tuned up stock ignition

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
+1

Also.... I know that ShadowWorks did a comparison with a Mallory ignition coil, and found it to be a bit better than stock, and last time I price checked one, it wasn't expensive at all. Like under 40 bucks or something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have recently installed an MSD boost control ignition and I have noticed an immediate improvement in both gas mileage and ignition efficiency - to the point where now I have run up against the turbo inadequacy - I run the stock TD03 Garrett. The compressor now shows signs of what they call "compressor surge" because the rate and amount of boost (25 psi+) causes a surge when you lift your foot off the throttle after hard acceleration.I highly recommend the MSD ignition and Blaster coil as they have taken my car to the next stage of tuning, although I cannot figure out why the extra retard is so raved about by all the US forum guys when I find that the extra retard actually reduces my performance - is it our gas? or perhaps as is reported my Aquamist water injection already makes the timing retarded enough to not need much more.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Nigel: The more retard, the less power. You want to run as much advance as you can, without it knocking.
Waterinjection dosn't alter timing, it does make the car more resistant to knock, but also can decrease performance, if everything is left as before and the car wasn't knocking (i.e timing is the same, boost is the same).
Daniel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts