SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a quandry.
I'm now doing a 105 mile round trip commute per day and need to economise.
Some have suggested I get a diesel, but I love my 900 and was wondering what the optimum MPG I could get.
The mileage is pretty much all motorway and I'm driving a 97 900 2.3i XS Talladega. I reset the MPG guage today and by the time I got home it read 43MPG, which seems pretty good (although I stuck between 56 and 60 all the way).
I've been pretty light on the pedal so is this the best that it gets.
Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
With those sorts of speeds with a diesel you'll get between 50-60mpg, but you must then remove the increased frequency of servicing and the additional purchase cost of an oil burner in the first place; my commute will save £400 per annum if I went to an econobox diesel such as a 3 door Focus, and of course I'm using the bigger 2.5 too and get 36mpg at the speeds you quote. It is a saving but not the great saving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also got to bear in mind that my budget for any replacement is virtually what I'd get for the 900 (£2000?). Also my 900 is well maintained (full SH) and has pretty low miles anyway.
Better the devil you know?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Difficult one isn't it.

You'll roughly save £5 -£10 a week by switching to diesel is that saving big enough? like for like diesel command £500 - £1500 more than the petrol counterparts; you can also make your current car a bit more economical by using lighter oil [especially in the winter] and those 'ecocontact' tyres with low friction tread, regular SC user Markp eventually gave up his Saab for a 1.4 [petrol] Focus due to such a long commute, though he's got every intention of getting an older Saab as a weekend hobby.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a few more days of taking it easy, the MPG is reading 44.6
I think it's a case of having to drive like a 75 year old just so I can keep the SAAB. I even looked at LPG coversion, but is it worth it on a car this age?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
LPG wouldnt be worth it IMO as it will cost you around £1000+vat for the cheap single point injection system which is rubbish, you would need the £1500+vat multi point system which is a far better system, and it would take you forever to recoup the money:nono; If money was an issue, sell the Saab and get a cheaper car to run:cry:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi I have the 900 2.0 and 42mpg is the best I get at 56 so what you are getting is very good, I had a quote recently off the net for a multi point lpg system (don't go for single point as you get backfires and poor performance) for £1550 including Vat - they said over 13000K a year you could save £1200 pa.

I also have a new cdti diesel which is very good on fuel and very fast for a 1.7 and being a vauxhall only needs servicing every 20000k but its not as nice as the 900 vert!

mcpaul said:
After a few more days of taking it easy, the MPG is reading 44.6
I think it's a case of having to drive like a 75 year old just so I can keep the SAAB. I even looked at LPG coversion, but is it worth it on a car this age?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
V6man54deg said:
Hi I have the 900 2.0 and 42mpg is the best I get at 56 so what you are getting is very good, I had a quote recently off the net for a multi point lpg system (don't go for single point as you get backfires and poor performance) for £1550 including Vat - they said over 13000K a year you could save £1200 pa.

I also have a new cdti diesel which is very good on fuel and very fast for a 1.7 and being a vauxhall only needs servicing every 20000k but its not as nice as the 900 vert!
£1550 is a good price for the conversion, is it from a recognised company with all the certificates that the insurance companies need to see?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Im just wondering if you guys across the pond are driving Saabs with better engine management than we are here in Canada.

Just reading all those high MPG's you guys are getting just blows my mind. I get an average of 22MPG, and my car is always well tuned, some friends I have get the same or a few MPG more or less.

I think I remember Saabscott saying once he was getting in the 30"s.

I wish....LOL

Michael

·
Registered
304 Posts
maallen40 said:
Im just wondering if you guys across the pond are driving Saabs with better engine management than we are here in Canada.

Just reading all those high MPG's you guys are getting just blows my mind. I get an average of 22MPG, and my car is always well tuned, some friends I have get the same or a few MPG more or less.

I think I remember Saabscott saying once he was getting in the 30"s.

I wish....LOL

Michael
Michael:

I just cannot believe that the engine management system in European Saabs is so much different from ours that it makes such differences in fuel consumption. I understand that U.K. uses different gallons, but still the differences are astronomical. There must be something going on . . .:suprised;

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
328 Posts
philosophicaldreamer said:
Michael:

I just cannot believe that the engine management system in European Saabs is so much different from ours that it makes such differences in fuel consumption. I understand that U.K. uses different gallons, but still the differences are astronomical. (There must be something going on . . .):suprised;

Ta-ta, janusz
Hey Janusz, whatever is "going on" I want to be part of it. LOL
They seem to be averaging about 43 MPG. I'd be happy with 25 MPG's:p

Later

Michael

·
Registered
304 Posts
maallen40 said:
Hey Janusz, whatever is "going on" I want to be part of it. LOL
They seem to be averaging about 43 MPG. I'd be happy with 25 MPG's:p

Later

Michael
Michael:

You know the strange thing: My Cross Country Volvo, which is bigger and heavier than my wife's Saab, gets better mileage, which somewhat puzzles me. I love driving the Saab, but when I find a little bit more time I will have to try to figure out why my wife's Saab is getting such poor fuel consumption. :(

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have seen 32 , I think, on the SID, but this is under the best possible conditions.

In real life, measured properly, using American feet and American Gallons, the mileage is 26 to 27. Our system of weights and measures is so obsolete - as is our government...
Compare that to a VW "One Liter" prototype of several years ago...I averaged 50 for 100K miles a few years back and was able to carry my roll-a-way in back or a 26' ladder(but not at the same time !!!)

You guys over there in England are so fortunate in being to choose from so many good, economical vehicles...

·
Registered
304 Posts
earthworm said:
In real life, measured properly, using American feet and American Gallons, the mileage is 26 to 27. Our system of weights and measures is so obsolete - as is our government...
I don't know about our government being absolete: I grew up under communism, and I find the American Constitutional system quite enlightening, especially considering that there are still so many societies that continue to live under the yoke of political or theocratic totalitarianism. But I must agree with you that it is a high time for America to switch to metric system, especially that on the scientific level America has been using the metric system for years.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes full certification even a courtesy car while yours is in - here is the email [email protected] the place is in staffordshire
dubburke said:
£1550 is a good price for the conversion, is it from a recognised company with all the certificates that the insurance companies need to see?

·
Registered
114 Posts
V6man54deg said:
Yes full certification even a courtesy car while yours is in - here is the email [email protected] the place is in staffordshire
If i could get a quote like that i would consider the conversion to LPG myself! but living in N.Ireland is a bit of a drawback when it comes to competition so the companies here can demand the high prices for the conversion:cry:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Mallen wrote:

I think the bigger gallons do help. Also, I'm not sure if mcpaul has one, but they do sell a 2.0 l version of the engine in Europe. Between the two, mpg's in the 40's seem possible. Maybe the Brits have small imperial miles too :)

I agree with januz that totalitarianism is bad :( and with earthworm that the metric system is good :) I'm kind of surprised the British haven't fully adopted it yet either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Its a bit mad over her - we sell petrol by the litre but measure it in miles per gallon!, Our gallon is 4.7 litres the us gallon is 4 litres. i have only had 42 mpg at a constant 56 mph its usually 22 - 25 around town and at 83p per litre!!!!! expensive - thats why my other car is a turbo diesel - 89p a litre but it goes a lot further on it.

I think the bigger gallons do help. Also, I'm not sure if mcpaul has one, but they do sell a 2.0 l version of the engine in Europe. Between the two, mpg's in the 40's seem possible. Maybe the Brits have small imperial miles too :)

I agree with januz that totalitarianism is bad :( and with earthworm that the metric system is good :) I'm kind of surprised the British haven't fully adopted it yet either.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
A US Gallon is actually only 3.78 litres, while an Imperial gallon is 4.55 litres (apparently), so 40 "imperial" mi/g is about 33 1/5 US MPG.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
900t said:
A US Gallon is actually only 3.78 litres, while an Imperial gallon is 4.55 litres (apparently), so 40 "imperial" mi/g is about 33 1/5 US MPG.

AHA! I can get about this when I drive at 55 mph or so. Thanks for doing the math for us! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts