SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has purchased a stage 3 chip from them yet .. and what your reaction to it was

Also prolly a better question for the owner of mp .. but does anyone know if you can just purchase the stage 3 chip and not the whole kit .. and if so at what price .. stage 1 is 589 i believe and your getting hte same part so should it not be 589 also ...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Considering all the other tuners let you buy the ecu seperate from the hardware, I would be that you can do the same from MP.

Consider first I don't know anybody to have yet used these ecu's, but I heard that they don't optimize the power as much as the other competetors because they have had less tuning time on the specific cars. The parent ecu company deals with many makes and models. To me, I would rather have an ecu from a tuner that does just saabs. And three letters come to mind with that: S Q R.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with Stromer. I love MP, I have a bunch of their hardware and have been very pleased, but I don't think I'd get software from them...at least not yet. This opinion is NOT based on personal experience with their software, nor do I know anyone who has it! The bottom line is that (as far as I'm concerned) it's just too new. SQR is very good, and so is Nordic...
As for getting the software seperately, I'm sure Chris would be able to work with you on that, give him a call/email! (As long as you have the hardware required for the given stage)...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The SQR site is sqr.se Be ready to translate from Sweish though. Jak Stoll used to be the U.S. seller of SQR products, but no longer does so. As far as I know, there is nobody currently selling SQR stuff. Frank, the man behind SQR does make some trips to the States and sells things then. He will be in Boston on Aug 8th, and at SOC August 11-14.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good news for everyone ....

There IS a contact for SQR in the US! :cheesy: Paul, who works at Automotion in Billerica, MA, has been dealing with Frank/SQR for a little while now. Automotion hosted a visit by Frank this past spring, and he is also supposed to be there before/after SOC. Jak has been referring people to Paul since he stopped with SQR.

Phone # 978-667-5373. They have a website but it's just the shop's page, no online ordering or SQR info. You might mention he ought to upgrade the site if you do call! I'm sure they'd be able to answer your questions.

BTW, this is 3rd hand info from another BB, but it IS accurate as far as I know. I haven't dealt with Paul/Automotion at all myself, but I have read very good reports about them. Quick turnaround and great service.

Keep us posted on your decision and any feedback you have from Automotion or wherever else!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Oh yeah, I've talked to Paul a lot. I originalyl planned on going down to Automotion for Aug 8th, but then SOC is so close I didn't think I needed to be at both. I though Paul was just a middle man for Frank and the U.S. customers, but there is definatly a need for a new U.S. rep that he can fill.

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeah he probably could be called just a middleman... but really, you could call nearly ALL dealers/reps/etc "middlemen" unless they're actually making thier own stuff ;) he's the best we've got for now!

:cry: i don't understand why no one has jumped on the lack of a formal US-based SQR rep. i know it's not a very big market but you'd think SOMEone would be on it! :cry: i'd give Frank a call about dealing for them myself, but I doubt I'd get very far :roll:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I think MP should have done it. I imagine they were already involved with the company they sell ecus for now (whatever its called...). Doesn't Eric have SQR on his car anyway? Maybe its not too late for em.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Staying on topic here.... I rode in a car with the MP stage 3 kit- including software, and I was very impressed! Once the car hit about 3k rpm it pulled like a freight train:eek: . I would seriously consider this if I werent already going in another direction (above stg 3) The way that PC tunes is for an even power band that is reliable and powerful at the same time, I would say go for it! But I think you would really need to get the delivery pipe if you still have the stock turbo. And I know chris would make it work if you just wanted the ECU.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
guys just for your own information... the guy at powerchips that is working on the ecus for MP drives...... da da da a VIGGEN.... so dont u think that they have had some time to work on this now.... they have been on these ecus since like last may or june... so i would imagine they were taking baby steps the whole way up until the software they finally have done. Steve Hayes is supposed to have his ecu by now.. not really sure if he does or does not... but there were many cars out in the colorado area with the ecus already. I have yet to hear about any blowing up... lol maybe mine will be the first ;) whenever i decide to get it

·
Registered
328 Posts
we still haven't actually heard from anyone who HAS the software! :confused: apparently they're out there, just not here...

in their defense, MP did spend a lot of time working on their stuff with powerchips, i remember Chris was talking about that on another board. i have no doubt that it's a safe & reliable product, just like the rest of their line.

(still looking at SQR though)

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you compare the mp/pc #s to sqr's theyre about even ;) (the claimed #'s that is)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
To me its not soo much the numbers, as consistency like i have told many of u before... all i want is for my car to have a more consistent HP number, and pull the same no matter what day it is... my car right now is awesome, but with maybe 20-30more WHP it would be sick.. and i would love it... as it is i am working on soooo much little **** to add 1hp here and there that i dont have tme for the downtime that an ecu would need...... this is the story of my life ... lol.... little by little ill get **** done and then get the mp ecu most likely... unless of course someone can find me an auto HOT ecu so i have a spare.. that would b great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of the benfits of MP/Powerchip is that they are programed for US gas octane levels....note the min. octane levels from some of the other turners, I believe most are 94 octane. Living in CA, all we got here is 91 octane and MP/Powerchip has an option just for this. So I wouldn't say MP/PC is de-tuned compared to other makers, it is better tuned for US market/gas availability.

·
Registered
483 Posts
yes but remember in europe they use a different octane rating system, our is an average: of RON+MON methods then you divide that by 2 and get our 87 89 and 93

I believe are 93 is equivalant to there 98 or something like that

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I beleive their 94 is like our 91. If I knew how the conversions work, I could probably verify this....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Last months sport compact car....entire writeup all the gas business like RON ,MON...that crazy 110 octane japanese gas

·
Registered
276 Posts
partforsaabs.com/BSR states this:

What grade of fuel should I use once my car is upgraded with the PPC™?
95 or 98 RON?
To achieve the indicated power for BSR tuning, 98 RON must be used. 95 RON doesn't provide the full increase of power. Generally, also with original settings, 98 RON provides more power, fuel saving, increased durability and reduced emissions. BSR optimizes for 98 RON. Stage 1-2 can manage 95 RON but Stage 3 or more require 98 RON.

98 RON (EU) = 88 MON = 93 RON+MON/2 (USA)
RON= Research Octane Number, MON= Motor Octane Number

So if you live in places like CA or CO where 93 isn't available, I'd be a bit nervious running these ECU updates. I plan on a Powerchip system, however I plan on driving down to their HQ in Southern Cali to get the ECU programmed on the dyno.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts