SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D hello everyone , i usaually peruse over at ssabnet but stumbled across this site which looks greatrecntly installed a stage 3 ECU on my 99 9-3 auto (new plugs, 93 octane mp ic ,3 inch dp and saab exhaust , j r air filter,) and seems to provide boost similar to the stock ECU - just to the end of the yellow with no discenable peformance increase over the stock ecu. previously with a mbc would boost to approx 3/8 into the red . no obvious leaks, i have tried a different bpc without improvement and with the wastegate hose plugged i get scary boost to the end of the red. powerchips has been real helpful and we have trialed two differnt ecu's and all the parameters are correct in the programs they report and think they could probably figure it out if they had the car in front of them but they are 3000 miles away.

iam seeking input on other things to check before i return the ecu for a refund. i am thinking there is something wrong in the ecu/bpc axis and wonder about perhaps a problem with the map sensor to ecu giving the ecu incorrect feedback and therefore limiting boost but this is just a guess and i don't know if there would be any simple check of this idea. anyone have any about this or other ideas ? thanks john

btw put on a a new di today as i had it in my trunk for three years and at 94k on the original thought it was about time , no change in boost though!:cry:

·
Registered
115 Posts
So you did check for vacuum leaks then right? That is the only thing I could think of.... Otherwise, I would probably take it back as you said you might do. Yet, I do not have any type of stage chip, so maybe someone with some experience in this area can help... Anyhow, good luck.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
waistgate actuator is always worth a look, if the spring is tired then it could be forsed open with the exhaust gasses.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
So there is no noticeable boost increase at all?? With the 3" Dp and FMIC I lost boost but got faster since the car did not need to boost as much to make the same power. But I would actually pursue MP with the ECU after you double check all of you vacuum lines.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
boxman said:
waistgate actuator is always worth a look, if the spring is tired then it could be forsed open with the exhaust gasses.
Suprisingly common I've learned this is; the extra boost you've paid for is being simply wastegated away if this is the fualt.

Is the actuator adjustable on these? Not being much of a turbo bod' mi'self. ;oops:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I say get a boost gauge. Then you can do some base boost tests to see if the bpc is working properly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i threw in a new bpc ,no increase in boost so my conclusion is that the ecu is limiting boost, returned ecu to powerchips and have ordered a stage 2.5- 3 ecu from nordic, will let you know how it works. for now am running the stock ecu with a mbc, boosting 1/4- 3/8 into the red.

will get a real boost gauge at some point , my understanding is that the stock boost gauge takes a signal from the map sensor which correlates to the boost level but may have some variation car to car, but it does not give you an absolute pressure reading . what kind of test of the bpc are you thinking of?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
That is too bad about the MP stage 3 ECU there. What did Chris have to say about it at MP? Was he apologetic or helpful on the return? Did he offer any solutions or reasons as to why the boost was limited? Just curious what the response was since my car was one of the cars used to develop the ECU with Powerchips but I di not get the benefit of having the ECU left in my car. :roll:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey steve chris has tried to be helpful and had been in contact with the chip guru at powerchips. he suggested some of the standard things to check on the car as others have suggested. i have not been in contact with him lately as i have been mostly dealing with the customer service guy at powerchips and copying him on the emails. once i get my original ecu restored to stock back from powerchips i will need to contact chris about the refund so i will see how that goes

regarding your car is it a t5 or t7? auto i think? what kind of boost are you getting? have you had it on a dyno? regards john

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I think that Chris can only do so much. Can they do any tuning there or does everything have to go through them to Superchips?

Going with Nordic is probably one of the best choices you can make.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
tturboboy said:
regarding your car is it a t5 or t7? auto i think? what kind of boost are you getting? have you had it on a dyno? regards john
I am glad that Chris is helping you out and being sympathetic to your needs but I am surpised that Dennis at Powerchips did not try to reflash your ECU again and have you test it to see if it just got a bad flash the first time. Dennis is the resident guy at powerchips who owns a stage 3 Viggen.

As to my car well it is a 2000 9-3 T7 Auto SE HOT and I would love to tell you that it is making tons of power and such but I did not get the ECU map that would have given me a Stage 3 and am still trying to work that out with Chris over the past 9 months (since January 05 when they had my car for 3 weeks of testing and whatever else). Funny thing is that I had to go to the dealer when I got it back after they put my stock map on it and have the factory ECU map and software reflashed to it to correct some issues that came up with my car. I can tell you that with the 3"Dp, FMIC, 3" Air box mod and drop in K&N with my forge DV valve the car is extremely quick compared to stock trim.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yeah, I only meant it as the contrary to powerchips. I love my SQR!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts